on 16 October 2013
In this little ebook, the author gives us the inspiration to have a go at looser watercolours. It isn't a long book, more like a really extensive magazine article, so it is easy to read in one sitting and, once inspired, get on with picking up your brushes and paints to have a go. His explanations of some of the key terms and materials used in watercolour painting are very clear and straightforward and I really like the idea of creating a protective frame for the painting.
For the price, it is much better value than buying an art magazine in my local store.
on 9 November 2013
This is a very easy to read guide that contains all the information you need to enjoy painting in a loose watercolour style. It's clearly written and beautifully illustrated, and is a great antidote to the fear of failure that prevents so many of us from painting and loving it.

It's a really attractive watercolour style, and this introduction is suitable for all levels of experience from beginner upwards. I've been teaching watercolour for years and I learned from and was inspired by this little book.

The demonstrations and examples shown are all landscape paintings. It would be nice to see some examples of other loosely painted subjects - still life or portraits for example. Perhaps a sequel? I would buy it.

Highly recommended. Buy it and get your paints out.
on 28 November 2013
Excellent descriptions of painting procedures.

I have painted in watercolours for a number of years, but this is the first time I have attempted to paint without first drawing the scene.
on 18 October 2013
I have just bought this kindle book as I really want to learn how to do 'loose' painting. It makes good reading, with easy to follow instructions - and does not 'bombard' you with too much information. I hope when I get my brushes out it will be as easy as you make it sound Roy - and I will soon be posting paintings on your fantastic PMP site!! Dee Saunders
on 18 October 2013
Excellent introduction to a loose style of wAtercolour painting at an absolute bargain price . Pretty much everything the budding artist needs to know about what is needed written in a simple easy to understand manner. Most refreshingly this book shows you that you don't need the very best materials to make your watercolours work, we are always hearing about how artists quality paints must be used but Roy takes that pressure away by pointing out that the student quality paints of today are better quality than the wAtercolour paints used by the old masters. Great examples of loose watercolour landscapes and a full demo leaves me wAnting more!
on 3 March 2014
What this book impresses me most is the confidence it arouse in me - that water-colour painting is not that difficult. However, I feel that illustrations are rather limited and I would like to see more in a book like this.
on 24 October 2013
This is Roy's second book and it is full of encouragement and down to earth advice. When we are learning about watercolour we have to progress one step at a time otherwise there is too much to think about when we are not in control of the medium. This book dispels some of the myths, encourages us simply to paint and not worry too much about the outcome, and is written in an easy, relaxed way. There are some very effective step by steps which I will be having a go at as Roy is a master of landscape and someone to learn a lot from, but what I like most of all about the book is that Roy seems to put his techniques of loose watercolour within reach for the rest of us!!
on 28 June 2014
It was simply laid out. Very poignant comments ie horse riding! My only negative comment would be that for a beginner (which I am not) it is all a bit daunting ....
on 17 October 2013
It was great to read this short book which gives some basic, but necessary information. It is always good to know exactly what materials have been used to produce a stunning piece of work. It was interesting to note that the author uses student quality paints to achieve excellent results! It has given me the confidence and motivation to have a go at fast and loose techniques. I look forward to future books by this author.
on 16 February 2014
This is exactly the book that I've been looking for. While I enjoy traditional landscape painting, it is this loose approach to watercolor, and using more of the white of the paper that I find much more appealing. I hope that Roy will write a longer book with more techniques and paintings for us to check out, but in the meantime I'm very happy to have found this book!