on 16 November 2013
Lucy Diamond is an author I always look out for and I was super excited when I heard about Christmas At The Beach Café. Why? You might ask, well firstly CHRISTMAS and secondly, a follow up to The Beach Café! What more could you want?! (oh and a gorgeous cover too!)
We re-join Evie and Ed at The Beach Café in the last few weeks leading up until Christmas. They've closed the café down for the winter months and are enjoying lovely romantic walks along the beach, cosy fires and cooked breakfasts. Evie has a vision of the most romantic Christmas, just her and Ed, but her vision is about to be shattered when Ed's brother Jake turns up on the doorstep and so does Evie's friend Amber. Maybe Evie won't get the perfect romantic Christmas she wanted after all...
It was wonderful to re-join the characters from The Beach Café, it felt like a long time since I'd last been in their world and it was lovely to be with them for Christmas. The descriptions of the snowy beach and Cornwall in the winter transported me there and I wanted to run around in the snow and take walks on the beach with Evie and Ed!
However, if you've never read The Beach Café (where have you been!?) then you can still read this as a standalone novella and understand what is happening, which is perfect! It will probably make you desperate to go and read The Beach Café though!
The talk of Christmas food also made my mouth water and it has made me so incredibly excited for Christmas day now! I was salivating at the mention of a bronzed turkey and mince pies. Mmmm yummy.
Evie and Ed were just as lovely as they were in The Beach Café and I loved seeing their relationship blossom and grow even if at times it seemed as though there might be a few obstacles in their way. It was interesting to see how Jake affected their dynamic and how the addition of Amber also caused some tension but everything is solved by some Christmas love and magic!
Lucy writes extremely well and I constantly feel myself smiling as I read. The descriptions are tangible, the characters are perfectly formed and the pacing of the novella is just right. I just wanted to keep on reading (I couldn't put it down so read it in one sitting!)
This is a novella which is around 100 pages long. It is the perfect bite sized story which will mean you can read it in one afternoon, snuggled in front of the fire. I hope that in the future we may have another return to The Beach Café because I would love to see where all the characters go to next. You'll also be please to know that at the back of this novella there are some gorgeous Christmas recipes, plus an extract from Lucy's new novel (coming in 2014) called One Summer In Italy! Completely and utterly brilliant!
Lucy's latest festive offering will fill you with joy, Christmas cheer and have you desperate for a mince pie!
on 3 December 2014
How nice to have a sequel with the same main characters, behaving in their own characteristic ways. Even the rest of the cast were around. Enjoyable read again. Can't wait to try the recipes!
on 25 July 2014
Christmas at a cafe in Cornwall was always going to be a winner for me.

Evie is hoping to have a really romantic christmas with her boyfriend and is planning the perfect day- complete with stocking fillers and the ultimate present.

Things don't go to plan- when his brother turns up unannounced and shows no sign of leaving any time soon, then her best friend also lands on the doorstep. Then to top it all off her parents turn up unannounced to the two bedroomed flat.

Although things don't go the way she imagined - Christmas at the Beach Cafe was still a wonderful place to be.
on 27 December 2013
Just downloaded this lovely Christmas book as a little treat for myself and it certainly was a treat! It whisked me back to Cornwall and the lovely Beach cafe and it's residents. The story takes you back to see how Evie's life has progressed since her first summer running the cafe and where her relationship with Ed is going. See what happens when Evie's first perfect Christmas with Ed doesn't go quite as she planned and how she deals with the many challenges she faces in the run up to the big day! A perfect, lighthearted, romantic, funny and heart-warming book a must read if you enjoyed the Beach cafe.
on 24 November 2013
Great wee catch up of what's happening in Cornwall with a couple of new people visiting the cafe.Lovely couple of twists & things that left me saying "oh I guessed that wrong"!
on 8 November 2014
Having loved The Beach Cafe I was excited to see another book about Evie and co and I was not disappointed.

It's her first Christmas at the Cafe and she's dreaming of the perfect Christmas, just her and Ed... well that's not going to happen!

Another great story from Lucy Diamond and having tried a couple of the recipes at the back of the book to eat whilst reading it was perfect! Be warned... don't read if your dieting as I'm sure you won't be able to resist trying them out either. Can't wait to start Christmas Gifts at the Beach Cafe...
on 10 November 2013
I love Lucy Diamond's books (two books left to read) so when I found out that Lucy D. writes a follow up to the Beach Cafe, I was well excited. I pre-ordered a novella and I waited for it!
Christmas at the Beach Cafe was great! I loved it! It was well written, exciting and could not put it down!
on 19 November 2013
Aaa ah. Just what you need in the run up to Christmas. Short, succinct, romantic and very Christmassy. The perfect short read or the season.
on 18 November 2014
This novella is 79% story, 4% Xmas recipes, and the rest an extract from her new novel "One Summer in Italy". I thought the story OK (3&1/2 stars?). I'm sure the recipes will be appreciated (both in the cooking and eating). I have to confess I didn't read the extract from her next novel.

The "Beach Cafe" and sequel "Christmas at the Beach Cafe" puts me in mind of another chic-lit couple
"Sealed with a Kiss" and "Sealed with a Christmas Kiss" by Rachael Lucas which I hope to review at a later date.
on 12 December 2013
I fancied a light hearted Christmas read, so I suppose I should not be disappointed in that this book was exactly what I received. It was light weight, rather inane, and light on content!

The heroine was wet, and allowed herself to be manipulated by her family and friends at every juncture. For someone who runs her own business it was hard to credit! I know that this is a novella, but don't be fooled - the last 20% of the book was an advertisement for the next Lucy Diamond novel!