5.0 out of 5 stars How I learned to stop worrying and love Productivity
When I first bought this book, I was worried for three reasons:

1- I thought it possible that it might be full of buzzwords and platitudes, like similar books I have come across.
2- I thought it might make unrealistic demands of me- I'm not superhuman.
Published 5 months ago by Mr. Alexander P. Swallow

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long, not really worth it.
Felt toooooooo long, and not very helpful in the end. It does have a few tips here and there, but it should be *much* shorter. Lots of fat to cut through. Addressed mostly to the people who work 9-6 in big corporations, although Freelancers may find useful stuff as well.
Published 1 month ago by Fedor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How I learned to stop worrying and love Productivity, 18 Mar 2014
When I first bought this book, I was worried for three reasons:

2- I thought it might make unrealistic demands of me- I'm not superhuman.
3- I thought it might be hectoring in tone- I know I could be more productive and don't want to be made to feel guilty about it.

In actual fact, none of these things came to pass.

The book is written in a clear, accessible style, which actually makes you want to finish it and gets you excited about the tips contained in the upcoming chapters. All terms are explained fully and used to make points clearer, not to make the author seem clever.

It recognizes that we are all human and that we aren't expected to be perfect. Graham speaks about how in the past he wasn't good at some of the things he is advocating- he got better because he needed to for his work, and because he saw that it made a tangible difference. The book is realistic about how we procrastinate, are too hard on ourselves at certain points and probably let ourselves off too lightly at others.

It is extremely positive about the capacity of human beings to change the world around them and shows how productivity tools can help them to deepen the impact of what they do.

I am now really excited about putting some of the lessons the book advocates in place- so much so that at my annual appraisal I told my supervisor that one of my key training resources would be to use this book.

I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is interested in working smarter, not harder and who wants to get a deeper insight into their own work practices and areas for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally changed my life, 21 Feb 2014
So for many years within the corporate world, I had literally been a slave to my inbox. I receive perhaps 250 emails a day, have a senior role which is about a lot more than dealing with emails all day and I got to the point that I couldn't see the wood for the trees. It was very stressful and I knew it was impacting my effectiveness and decision-making.

After doing a Coaching qualification, I realised there had to be another way (there always is!) and I searched on Amazon for a book to read on my holiday to try and bring some order back to my life. Stumbled across this book, thought the reviews looked a bit too good to be true, but ever the optimist, bought it anyway.

Within half an hour of starting the book, I was literally itching to get logged on and stuck into that email file. The book is written in a style that is real and felt so resonant to my challenges that it was like the author was in my head! It's all very straightforward, with quite a directive style (for those of us who need telling that what we are doing at the moment just isn't working!) with a lovely balance of humour. It all seemed very do-able and indeed it was - after returning from holiday and half a day sorting my email folders with lots of coffee and biscuits I have never looked bad. Now I know what I'm doing, nothing escapes me and I'm totally in control of the information flying into my inbox all day. Its very freeing and has massively helped me.

If you'd asked me 18 months ago if buying a book about managing emails could have such an impact, I would have laughed. I mean, how ridiculous! But its no small thing to say this book has changed my life and now I buy it for everyone in my team as its a secret I just want to share with the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your own secret weapon, 10 Jan 2014
The main reason why I love this book is that it has had a real impact with positive results for me personally - both in my business and personal life. I read it over 6 months ago and many of the concepts are part of my lifestyle now - I don't even have to think or waste time about certain things. The book is a balanced mix of business, motivation and "how to" while not being too rigid that you can't adapt to suit your own situation. Read it,apply it and you will see for your self.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, it's a classic must read along with David Allen's Getting Things Done. this one is just way more fun to read !, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: How to be a Productivity Ninja: Worry Less, Achieve More and Love What You Do (Kindle Edition)
The crazy ninja cover with pen sketch ninja matches the irreverent casual style in this book. No nonsense advice, made practical and digestible.
I personally learnt lots of fresh ideas, and was reminded again to DO stuff I knew worked, like tackling the hardest task in my day first. If you want a quick read - this is your book - it gets to the point, which when you want to be productive is the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming!, 6 Jan 2014
I absolutely love this book. Clear, concise and jam-packed with fantastic ideas - it has transformed my working life and given me more time to do what I love doing. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long, not really worth it., 27 July 2014
Fedor (London, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It has changed my working life - I actually do sleep better at night now, 16 July 2014
I'm now on my second reading of the book and i'm implementing the ideas step by step. I started with my inbox and a task management system, and I'm now onto developing checklists. In hindsight the ideas seem obvious, but I needed them spelled out for me, with practical activities to get me started. It was too overwhelming a task, I needed the chapter by chapter systematic approach.

I found this book in dark times. I fell behind at work and never got caught up (or anywhere near caught up) ever again. I developed bad habits to shave seconds off each task (not filing emails, saving to the desktop, using the default file name doc1, doc2 thinking i'd come back to it later to file and name properly, scribbling notes on the back of whatever was nearest). A bad month, became a year, became 4 years. The result, chronic stress.

I had thousands of un-filed emails, I was 'firefighting' from the second I arrived to the second I left (often skipping lunch, working later than I should and at weekends - and all for free!), and the anxiety of what unknown issues were lurking in old emails or in the piles of papers that adorned every surface of my office was crippling. I didn't realise how HEAVY I felt all the time until this book motivated me to face up to the situation - it was never going to magically get better in a couple of weeks or months, I had to take control. Change was necessary and was the most urgent thing I needed to do for my health.

All outward appearance was that I was doing ok, before you all wonder why I still have a job at all! I was a duck - if you know what I mean.

I now feel so much better. I am still behind where I need to be, but I know exactly where I am thanks to the systems the book encouraged me to invest effort into (knowing the 'unknowns' helped so much mentally even if they are still outstanding), I know whats on the horizon, and i'm working my way through the current actions and the backlog simultaneously, prioritizing whats best for me and the company I work for. I'm now close to achieving the nirvana that is 'balance'.

It also touches on health and well-being, mindfulness, and work-life balance (but it never uses that term). These things are not covered in any great detail, but you are encouraged to check in with yourself and these areas of your life along side your thinking about work activities. Success at work isn't isolated from the rest of your life.

Yes, its a bit repetitive in places, but I like the tone generally, and the useful practical tips. I've gone from feeling like a complete fraud in the work place to feeling like I have something to offer my team.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, lack of good advice, 20 Mar 2014
M. Sperrin - See all my reviews
I was somewhat surprised that the reviews to this book are so positive. This is a 'me too' productivity book that really adds nothing new to an already over-saturated literature.

Early in the book is some bad advice regarding health and nutrition. 'Drink water - even when you're not thirsty' - this has been discredited for some time. Also using vitamin/mineral supplements is advised, which is also not generally recommended by health professionals. The author is not qualified to give health advice, so shouldn't.

Throughout the book, all the advice appears to be anecdotal to the author, and not based on any research. The style is also somewhat grating, with a liberal application of unnecessary exclamation marks.

However, the general productivity improvement principles are sound, but nothing different to, for example David Allen's 'Getting Things Done'. I would not recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but complicates things a bit, 10 Mar 2014
I bought this when it was on Deal of the Day, so did not pay full price for it.

There’s definitely some useful information in this book. It also makes you feel very motivated; I came across some material I knew about, and some methods which I had considered before and rejected, and it made me realise they were methods worth implementing.

It’s also really good to hear that single-tasking gets things done faster and often more effectively. I am in a response based job where I wouldn’t be allowed to turn the email off at any point, but I’ve become much better at ignoring the stuff that doesn’t require an immediate response.

I would say that this book is probably aimed at people who are dealing with quite complicated flows of work, because some of the models seem to be overcomplicating things rather than simplifying them.

A lot of bosses could benefit from reading this book. A lot of people have incredibly poor working habits because working culture encourages that. I got so much more done after reading this book and implementing some of the methods.

The book could be substantially cut down; the information is good but the writing style explains the same thing several times and goes into a lot of detail describing problems we already know we have!

5.0 out of 5 stars a nice synthesis of some of the best bits..., 22 Feb 2014
Paul Taylor (West of England, UK) - See all my reviews
A lot of this book feels pretty familiar, and indeed the author admits that he has learned from the best. But it isn't just a rehash of GTD or 7 Habits, it synthesises a lot of the best bits of many other authors' thinking in productivity and life management and adds some interesting spin of his own. The sections about workflow and checklists are very useful and the checklist stuff is a very pragmatic approach to stuff which David Allen doesn't really spend much detail on. Useful, even if not entirely original throughout.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›