5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Pekkala Outsmarts Stalin Again!
The 5th Inspector Pekkala adventure keeps us guessing to the last minute again. Interesting historical stories of Stalin's rein of
terror after the Tsar's murder, and thru Germany's invasion and defeat. Inspecter Pekkala has felt Stalin's wrath, spending 7 years in
Published 6 months ago by Mary Howry

3.0 out of 5 stars Something of a let-down
Published 6 months ago by daveboyksa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Something of a let-down, 2 Jun 2014
I was rather disappointed with this. I have enjoyed the Inspector Pekkala stories up to this point, and have ordered each as it has appeared in paperback, but this was rather ludicrous and something of a let-down; whilst I was able to finish the story, I was not wholly enthralled. I will look out for Pekkala 6 but will read the summaries and the reviews carefully before ordering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart..., 27 Nov 2014
I read the first four Pekkala books and became an ardent fan. I saw flaws in the books, but nevertheless, I enjoyed them. So, with eagerness, I set about 'The Beast in the Red Forest.' This is BAD, truely. In fact, so bad, I doubt it's the same author (the time spacing between books is unbelievable) - the book verges on being silly, which is a shame. The final scene occurs in Stalins office where guns are forbidden (as stated earlier in the book by by the Dictator himself) - Pekkala draws his gun on the would be assassin, who has his gun pointed at Stalin. Kirov (Pekkala's sidekick) then shoots said assassin with his gun. Silly... the whole book is like this. Imagine every John Wayne situation and here it is, all in a single book. I can't recall how many 'For God's sake' comments I uttered.
AVOID. This is tripe. Read the earlier books. As for me, farewell, Emerald Eye - it was good to have known you.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Beast in the Red Forest (Inspector Pekkala Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
action packed thrilling and a surprise ending that you are not expecting,i enjoyed this it is the best of the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Pekkala Outsmarts Stalin Again!, 10 Jun 2014
Siberian...then called back to Moscow to do Stalin's bidding. Pekkala always handles whatever challenge he is given by Stalin with
cunning class, and emerges victorious...letting Stalin think he has won! Love the stories, and am looking forward to the next
adventure. Great research makes the stories ring true and leaves you wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me, 6 Jun 2014
Have read most of his books great books about Russia in Second World War good all the way through good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, escapist fun, 11 Dec 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In The Beast Of The Red Forest Inspector Pekkala has been missing for over 2 years, presumed dead by all but Major Kirov and a suspicious Stalin. Kirov ecentually tracks him to Rovno in Ukraine which is on the frontline of the war. What happens after that is bloody and dangerous but Pekkala wins through as usual. Obviously the plot is ridiculous but it is compelling - I read it in one sitting, desperate to know what was coming next.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 15 Dec 2014
I have read the Inspector Pekkala books from the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. I will admit this latest one is not my favourite however this does not detract from the book or plot. I found myself drawn into Pekkala's world and read the book in a couple of days. The plot although a tad ridiculous in places was easy to read and flowed well. For anyone just getting into murder mystery books I would recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book - printing quality not so good..., 20 Aug 2014
I just love this series tho am a little bemused at the need the author felt to do such extensive 'background updates' ... Suggest new readers get the series...It's worth it!! Publishers did a strange thing with this one too... Text floating in large oversized page with large margins... Odd, unnecessary, and book therefore 'bulked up and heavier' .......irritating... Still a good read though not as good as earlier books..

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good story, 12 Oct 2014
Another good Inspector Pekkala novel. I hope the series carries on progressing and there is many more to come. Maybe not the strongest in the series but still of a reasonably high quality. I read it all in 2 days

Although as always I am surprised by the Authors depiction of Josef Stalin. I don't know much about Soviet history but i find it unlikely that all Stalin wanted was to have a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant again, 13 July 2014
Mr. K. P. Guy (wales utd kingdom) - See all my reviews
Have read all five books in the Pekkala series and each one is amazing. looking forward to next one in the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›