It's fast, silent, excellent OS. The USB 3 ports are a plus.
It even has a special mobile UI if you connect from an iDevice.

Highly recommended
Published 9 months ago by Benito Camela

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want to install a 2.5" HDD/SSD
Plenty of people have reviewed this NAS enclosure and the excellent DSM management software. But few have mentioned the problem of installing a 2.5" drive. You need an adaptor to install a 2.5" rather than 3.5" drive--fair enough. But figuring out which adaptor took me hours, which included a trip to my local PC World to buy one that didn't fit...
Published 25 days ago by Argenta

5.0 out of 5 stars It is such a good solution. amazing. The OS is simple. I recommend it., 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)
It's fast, silent, excellent OS. The USB 3 ports are a plus.
It even has a special mobile UI if you connect from an iDevice.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect..., 11 Feb 2014
I was looking for an affordable yet capable media server solution for streaming content to various devices around the house. After much research I finally settled on the Synology DS114, complete with a 2TB disc; striking a balance between price, capability, and storage capacity. Very pleased with my purchase - easy to set up and use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want to install a 2.5" HDD/SSD, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)

You need a "Synology NAS-System Hard Drive Holder Type C". If you read thousands of words on the Synology website you will learn this but it is a trial to find out which adaptor is the correct one. Then there's the problem of buying one... Few stores stock it. You can get it from more professionally focussed outlets but the price for the flimsy piece of plastic ranges from £5.50 to £29.99! I found an Amazon retailer that stocked it but the company's phone was not accepting calls (over a period of two weekdays) and not responding to emails.

So, whilst this and the SSD I bought to accompany it arrived in exemplary time, being able to use it was frustrated by the difficulty I had buying this adaptor. Here's my question to Synology, you produce high quality products so why frustrate your customers in this way? How hard would it be to include this $2 adapter with every drive? PLEASE!

I still haven't got an adaptor in my hands so I still cannot use this device!

FRUSTRATED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Synology still rocks, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)
3TB drive in this, and it completely flies along. For such a tony/cheap embedded device, these things are very nice. Mines loaded up with the media server, and VPN server and it just works. I also have an older DS411J with 4 disks in, and that thing is still looking after a whole bunch of timemachine backups, and remote Carbon Copy Cloner backups over the net. I also maintain my professional stock photo library on these two machines (one backs up the other), and have confidence my stuff is safe. 60 to 80Mb/sec is the norm for both boxes. Love these things to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product., 28 May 2014
This review is from: Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)
The 7th Synology Diskstation I've purchased for both personal and for SOHO set ups. One of the best companies in this field, great support and a fantastic user community base means you cannot go wrong with a Synology product. This latest DiskStation and it's operating system, DSM 5, is very easy to setup and get working if your a novice in this area but is packed with features if your experienced. Have your own NAS and setup a personal Cloud storage service all in one box.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly difficult to set up, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS (Accessory)
The hardware is fine. The associated software ls not. Setting up was a nightmare. The product arrived with little written help, and the website was very difficult to negotiate. At one stage a log-in box appeared asking for a user name and password. It was pure luck that I eventually tried "admin" as the user name, which worked. Problems continued however. The help-desk works by e-mail only which was inevitably slow but eventually I got the thing working. I was told there had been problems with the website which explained my difficulties! But there should be much better simple instructions in written format for those of us who are computer literate but not "techies"

Synology DS114 DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS