4.0 out of 5 stars Noticeably slower than DS213j, but still a beast.
I use a ds213j as part of my HTPC setup (Openelec + rasppi) and I love it. I had an external hdd setup previously and when it died on me just after warranty I decided to give NAS setup a go. It really does complete the HTPC experience. I bought this as my cousin, who is a computing novice, wanted a similar system.

First thing first though. This device is pretty...
Published 6 months ago by Dillion K Raj

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be much better.
Purchased this for home and WD EX2 for office.
Good centralised storage.
Quite slow over wifi. Has lost the plot a few times when media streaming movies to Samsing smart tv.
Recommend spending a little more for a faster processor and more RAM as I think this could be the issue with media streaming.
Prefer the user interface on the WD.
Published 1 month ago by SILVTT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Noticeably slower than DS213j, but still a beast., 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS

First thing first though. This device is pretty slow and was only able to write at 30MB/s (I only had one WD red HDD installed on it, which may have affected the performance). Apart from that, both devices are identical. As someone who uses NAS alot, and as a multi-purpose device, I can justify spending 40 more to buy DS213j (you get a faster processor and twice the ram). If you're a computing novice and will only use this for saving and retrieving data, buy this device.

If you need any more help do feel free to drop a comment below. I use DS213j on a daily basis and will use DS214se fairly often to troubleshoot problems / configure it in the next coming days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply works, easy to use, can stream to TV!, 17 May 2014
Mr. R. Neep "Rob" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
As a first time NAS buyer, I was tempted to look at the cheaper options, but given the mixed reviews decided to choose a more premium product, and I am incredibly happy, from opening the box to streaming the first movie to my TV took about 1 hour (including transfer of movie from PC). (I'd say I am of average computer literacy).

The GUI is easy to use, and best of all intuitive, the only instructions I needed to read were how to set up the QuickConnectID (you do this on the NAS itself in case you are wondering).

The Cloud Station app (you can download apps from the web interface) allows syncing with iCloud, Dropbox etc, or, you can log in remotely using the QuickConnect feature from any web browser. Once the MediaStation app is installed (takes 3-4 mins) you can stream to any UPNP or ELNA device, this was my deciding factor on choosing this box.

I coupled this with two WD Green 2TB drives, all for around 230 (May 2014).

Whilst I have only had the product for a few hours, first impressions are fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily competent NAS and worth every cent., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
I purchased this NAS after a single-drive WD MyBook failure and I regret not having bought one earlier.

Config for the DS214se is with two WD Red 2TB drives. I purchased the NAS and drives separately as this was cheaper. Installation was very simple, and the system was up an running within the hour from opening boxes.

Where this unit has surpassed all expectation is with its software and OS. The NAS runs a fully fledged OS that you communicate with through a web browser. The interface is a dream. You down load 'apps' to the NAS for additional functionality.

The most staggering achievement though was in recovering from my failed WD MyBook HDD. The embedded controller in the WD NAS failed leaving the HDD intact. The WD NAS drive was formatted with the Linux ext3 file system which cannot be read in Win7 without additional software (such as excellent Ext2 volume manager), however I plugged the old WD HDD into the USB port on the DS214se NAS via a StarTech USB to SATA/IDE converter (USB3SSATAIDE)... and the DS214se mounted the drive and I retrieved all the data from it over night. To put that into perspective the DS214se was able to interface seamlessly through a third party external HDD interface with no effort on my part. Such is the quality of the Synology OS. This functionality is worth every penny and I'd rate the unit six stars if possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 3 Jan 2014
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
I am not new to Synology having previously owned a DS-411J which unfortunately failed after three years. Despite this disappointment, I went for the same brand again as the software (DSM) they use is by far the most intuitive and flexible I have come across for a NAS.

The DS214se is the new entry level 2-bay model sitting just below the DS-213j. My requirements have changed and no longer needing a 4 bay model, I debated whether to get this version or the better specified DS-213j for about 40 more.

The DS-214se has less memory (256mb instead of 512mb) and a slower processor (800mhz instead of 1.2mhz) but is otherwise pretty much the same. For simple home usage such as streaming music, movies and file storage, I have found it to be more than adequate. I suspect this would suit 90% of home users requirements and it's a good move by Synology to release this budget version.

Setting up couldn't be more simple. Once the hard drives are installed in the bays (I'm using 2 x 2TB drives), you simply log on to [...] and follow the on screen instructions to set up the hard drive as per your requirements. It took me about 15 minutes before the drives were available on Windows are ready to be used. The whole process couldn't be simpler. The on-screen software is superb heavy on graphics and easy to get to know.

One difference to note is that the hard drives are screwed into the bays and do not sit in removable trays for easy swapping. Worth noting if you plan to swap drives often.

Coming from the old Synology drive was also simple. The new drive was able to migrate all my files, data and settings which is great if you are upgrading or simply replacing a faulty unit.

I've had the drive for couple of weeks now and must say I'm very impressed and would definitely recommend to both beginners in this area and more seasoned users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Free., 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
A quality NAS from a decent maker with an excellent operating system. Excellent value for money; Just install two 4TB drives and you have access to 8TB storage inside 30 minutes. Runs all the Synology apps and uses very little power. Stable and quiet; easy to set up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, nice NAS, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
I just needed a NAS as a storage for my movies. Nothing more and nothing less. If not silent, really quiet as I have it in my living room and was terrified of my girlfriend's reaction to my new toy.
- Is it too noisy?, I asked when she came back.
- What?
and I knew I had bought the right device.

You can find more basic (and cheaper) devices from Dlink, Buffalo or Netgear, but if you read the reviews you'll see many people complain about the noise. I cannot make a direct comparison, obviously. What I can say: the Sinology is completely silent when the drives are hibernated. Hardly audible when working. Audible when the drives spin up from hibernation, which takes maybe 2-3 seconds. That's it. So, in this respect, I am very pleased.

****
Performance: I didn't need anything special. Anyway, in my configuration, I achieve 80 MB/s for a 1xGB file:
SSD > 1 Gbit/s Ethernet > Synology equipped with 2xSeagate 2TB HDs paired in Synology Hybrid RAID.
I wasn't looking for performance, but I am quite pleased too.

****
Installation: easy to install, great web-based interface, almost idiot-proof (depending obviously on the level of idiocy...)

****
Hard-disks: the enclosure is called enclosure because it comes without disks. Even if I am sure it would work with whatever HDs, I bought a model listed on the Sinology compatibility list: it costs you just a bit more time in searching, but it's not necessarily more expensive.

****
The device is primarily a NAS, but there are plenty of applications to install. From a VPN to a webserver, to an e-commerce platform to... a software that transforms your Synology in an espresso machine! I kept my Synology clean as I don't need anything. And if, I would probably go for a dedicated, more powerful and flexible device. That being said, take a look at the packages you can install as you might find something interesting for you.

****
Depending on your goals, I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, affordable DiskStation, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology hardware is not cheap but is worthwhile buying because the DSM operating system puts it head and shoulders above any other NAS solution. The DiskStation 214se is an attempt by Synology to produce a more affordable unit, perhaps aimed at someone who might be tempted by the low cost consumer units available from vendors such as Western Digital, Seagate and Buffalo. At the time of writing, the 214se is a shade under 120 from Amazon; factor in, say, a 2TB drive and you've got a working unit for under 200, which is at least within striking distance of the opposition. And the rich, accessible functionality of DSM means you are getting so much more in real terms.

The 214se is visually identical to the earlier 212j and 213j models, as it is the same case. Inside the electronics have been cut down a bit - there is only 256MB RAM (half that of the 213j) and the processor runs at 800MHz (compared to 1.2GHz in both the 212j & 213j). Does this make any difference? In a word, no. The performance hit can be measured in controlled laboratory conditions but in practical, real-world terms it doesn't make a ha'porth of difference, certainly not in a household or very small business (say a home office or with 4 or 5 users). However, you probably wouldn't want to stuff it to the gills with lots of apps from the Synology Download Center or run a busy website on it.

There are a few minor hardware differences due to the price shaving. The fan seems to be on more frequently, even though on the face of it the unit would be expected to generate less heat. Having said that, it is still very quiet and not noticeable, even in a domestic setting. There is no ability to program the unit to turn itself on in the morning and off at night, but it does go to sleep when not in use, at which point it is only consuming a few watts. On balance, these are sensible compromises to reduce the cost.

Whether you are looking for your first NAS or to replace an older model, or maybe for an additional unit for backups or other purposes, the 214se hits a sweet spot in terms of pricing and is well worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 April 2014
Gboye (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
Great product. I got the NAS enclose to provide virtualised storage for a study lab I had setup up so i needed a box that supports iSCSI and NFS. Setup was easy and straight forward despite the fact that it didnt come with an installation disc.
Intuitive user interface, quiet and very light weight. Awesome product...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home NAS, 15 Jan 2014
1. It's easy to set up.
2. It has a lot of security options that can be used, such as max login attempts and IP based access control lists.
3. It doesn't spin up the hard drives unless it's in use.
4. The user interface is very friendly, and it has a lot of optional programs and add-ons available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a home network work!, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
This product was recommended by my brother who has two Synology NAS drives on his network.
Very good build quality and smart appearance
It was very simple to assemble using the supplied kit, (used two 1tb Seagate drives)
Set up was also easy, following the instructions, formatting of disc drives is taken care of automatically.
All file, music and Photos can be accessed using Windows based laptop and assorted iOS devices, through Synology apps.

Once installed you almost forget that it exists as it is quiet and unobtrusive and reliable.
There are two USB ports to which addition drives, memory sticks etc, can be connected, making transfer of existing files simple. Printers can be attached to USB to give network access.

Accessing content from iPad, iPhone via wifi and Ethernet connected TV , media player etc is easy, but can take a few seconds when the drives need 'waking' after a period of inactivity.

Probably the best bit of kit I have bought since the iPad.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›