5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection from an Irish legend

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like Christy
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Kieran Duffy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection from an Irish legend, 9 Nov 2013
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
The word "legend" is often overused, however, in the case of Christy Moore, I would consider it to be completely justified as he truly is one of the giants of Irish folk music. He has written and interpreted songs which tell beautifully descriptive stories, battle against prejudice and injustices, speak of drinking, romancing, dancing, being caught in the working class trap and many other subjects, usually with a dash of likeable humour. It also documents life in Ireland over the past century, the highs, lows, the deadly serious and the trivial, all with Christy's very individual take on it.

Although this huge three-disc collection is labelled as a retrospective, there are two new tracks and the other forty-three tracks have all been re-recorded by Christy and long-time collaborator Declan Sinnott (amongst others), so this isn't your usual greatest hits package and will be of great interest to admirers of Moore's music. Indeed, there are some tracks that have been omitted that you will be surprised by, if you are a fan of Christy's, but there is a certain near-live (a couple of tracks are actually live) character to this massive collection, so listening to this album, from start to finish, is like sitting through one of Christy's wonderful live shows (something I did last month), albeit without his enjoyable ad-libs.

As this is such as massive collection, I simply cannot begin to talk about the merits of individual songs, otherwise I would be typing and enthusing all day - it's pretty much all fantastic stuff. One thing I will say to surmise the content of this album is that if I could put my finger on one defining characteristic of Christy's music, it would be his honesty. Whether singing about politics or matters of the heart, there is a fierce humanity in his lyrics and all of these songs chosen for this collection have been written by Moore himself (although some have been co-written, such as "North and South of the Border", with Bono and The Edge), so you get a wonderfully rich and broad taste of the man's work and words. This makes "Where I Come From" a rather good starting point for anybody curious soul wanting to find out what Christy's music is all about, however, this is far from a definitive compilation of his songs, so it leaves the listener with plenty of brilliant songs yet to discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
You know exactly what to expect from Christy Moore, foot tapping songs, with a lovely voice to boot. Some classic songs in this collection, especially Joxter which brings back fantastic memories of World Cup Football

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
Christy at his absolute best well worth the small cost only problem is that Christy is not producing enough new work for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like Christy, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Christy Moore for years and although this cd has lots of songs sung live and some slightly changed in the lyrics my main concern with this album is the way it's recorded. It's as if the whole cd was being played at the wrong speed. It just seems slow and this makes Christy's voice sound flat. I still listen to it but it's not my favourite album of the king Christy's

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential set from Ireland's finest storyteller, 2 Jan 2014
J. MOORE (Tokyo, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
Having been enthralled with Christy's music for over 20 years and having the pleasure of seeing him a few years ago- this new album comes along as celebration of what is special about him. The biggest joy about Christy is his honesty in presenting the injustices that exist in our society both locally and internationally. This Cd set comes highly recommended to any music fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christy is the best!, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
A Gift for my brother, who is a huge fan of irish trad music just like myself. Christy Moore never disappoints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, Christy Moore, is the best, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Where I Come From (MP3 Download)
Christy Moore is nothing short of a genius. His songs portray fabulous stories, some poignant, some true and often humorous, he is without doubt a master story teller and a fine musician to boot. If you want to get to the heart of Irish music, Christy, for me, is there. His songs are often seen as having a political edge but the truth of the matter is Christy is a great humanitarian and sings about injustice not politics something which I identified with from the very start.

The humorous songs are laugh out loud, the injustice songs bring tears to your eyes and the love songs are truly beautiful. Anything by Christy Moore is worth having and this is no exception. As you can probably tell, I cannot recommend Christy and his music highy enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars New 3-CD BOX FROM CHRISTY, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
This set of 3 cd's contains mostly old songs performed by Christy and accompanied by Declan Sinnott. Some of them are live recordings on a gig.

If you expect something new from Christy, this box is not the right choice. Most of the songs have been published before, in this collection they may be new versions of the old songs.

But this collection is very enjoyable and a good choice if you want an overview of Christy's journey through years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The man can do no wrong in my eyes, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
Okay I'm biased I love Christy Moore and his works. So anything is going to get a good review. However even taking that into account tis is a fine collection of his original works which are otherwise scattered through his back catalogue. Christy fans will love it for what it is and if you don't know his albums and are curious this is a good place to start to get the essence of the man and his songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Some new - some older - all good, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Where I Come From (Audio CD)
Excellent reintroduction to Christy's back catalogue (and with live material too). I've always been a fan and didn't need convincing with this set. A good place to start if you've never heard him before - but also worth owning even if you have all the songs already.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›