on 17 September 2014
I have a normal and by normal I mean Dyson with a cord! She is now about 10 years old and has done her service well but as I get older (im now in my 50's) she is very heavy to cart around. My stairs always get left til last and then missed out! I had been researching lighter hoovers on the market with a view to replacing mine. I had read reviews that the smaller ones were not as powerful which had put me off taking the plunge.
So after weeks of searching I came across this Dyson cordless DC59 which sounded on paper too good to be true. Yes the price tag is a little steep but I urge you not to let that put you off. I had expectations that it wouldn't be strong enough to pick up much dirt/dust but I was very wrong. It arrived and I used it immediately, I was like a kid at Christmas.
The machine is light to hold and the tools easy to attach, again this was a big plus point for this old person. I love the fact that it can be turned into a handheld vacuum with a short tool and then swapped to have a long tool to avoid bending.
Now my stairs, I tackled them with no hesitation but slightly embarrassingly was the amount of dust/dirt the DC59 picked up. Once emptied my stairs were vacuumed another 5 times but they looked clean.
The battery life is more than enough for my 3 bedroom house and I cannot be happier with this vacuum cleaner and recommended it strongly, its great for anyone especially old weak ladies like myself.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 November 2013
This handheld DC59 Animal is a bit like being on the HiFi ladder ... it takes a lot of bucks to gain a small but worthwhile improvement. Only had the little beast a few days but it's transformed the hoovering ... now it's fun rather than a drudge. And so far, at least, the battery has more than sufficient power for doing five rooms well. And yes, it's pricey ... but then so are some of my HiFi bits and pieces, and the improvements in sound they produced were magical (if not huge). This fits into the same category ... put a smile on your face when do the vacuuming. If it lasts several years, working a treat as it does now, without the battery fading, then it's worth its very meagre weight in gold!
This is an edit after owning this wonderful gadget for several months ... our house is far cleaner since we bought the DC59 Animal since it's such a breeze now to just whip round with this hoover for a few minutes twice a day, nay, it's actually fun! Whereas before it was always a big job to lug out the old Dyson so the house only ever got done once or twice a week. So far this is one of the best household buys I've ever made. Brilliant
on 9 September 2014
Do you ever get fed up only having a few more inches to hoover in a room and you run out of cable and have to go and unplug the hoover and find another plug to plug your hoover in just for that few seconds of hoovering or do you have a back complaint like me and have to wait on someone to carry the hoover up stairs for you and your kids moan when you ask them to do it for you ? I decided i would purchase the Dyson DC59 as it solved all my problems. It is very light weight, its cordless, it has 2 programmes on it, i especially love the maximum suction programme as it gets rid of the dog and cat hairs in a flash !! My dogs and cats cause tumbleweeds behind all my doors and skirting boards and one of the tools is a brush that is especially for cleaning the skirting boards and it only takes seconds to do :) My cats insist on sitting on my furniture and i have went through rolls and rolls of the lint remover rollers but i have discovered that one of the tools that have came with the hoover is especially for cleaning hair and dust from the furniture , so that solves another problem. My husband was moaning a bit about the price of the hoover, but once he realised how good it was for hoovering out the car, he was delighted with it and stopped moaning after that. I have hung the charging unit inside my cupboard and the hoover doesn't take up much room in there so that doesn't cause any problems either. If you need any more information about it, just ask and i will answer as quick as i can.
on 2 April 2015
I used it for the first time today, so this is an 'initial impressions' review.To start with I unknowingly had it on 'boost' so it only lasted about 5 minutes (claims 6 which may be right). If on normal setting it lasts the claimed 17 minutes then that will be fine. It does take quite a while to re-charge though (3.5 hours from dead).
I vacuumed a tiled floor, a rug and the bottom two stairs before it ran out - but the bin was half full already - which was impressive. I re-charged it, changed setting to normal, and finished the stairs and did another small bedroom carpet - again bin was over half full. So it definitely sucks up a lot of dirt (my other vacs are Miele and Sebo so you'd think they'd be effective too). So far so good. But emptying the bin - which is going to be a frequent task by the looks of it - was messy and fiddly, and re-attaching it was also awkward. I'm hoping it's a technique thing and I'll get the hang of it soon.
As for ease of use - I'm quite impressed. It's light and easily manoeuvrable and it's easy to change the attachment. The main section looks like it might be a bit cumbersome and heavy to use with the smaller attachments, but certainly I didn't find that with the stairs. However I think trying to dust with the brush attachment will prove difficult in small spaces - more so than with a conventional hose attachment.
My only gripe is you have to keep hold of the power switch - you can't lock it on - which could make your finger ache after 15 mins. It's also too easy to accidentally switch it on when emptying the bin.
All in all - an expensive item but happy I bought it as I'm sure it will make vacuuming less of a chore (once I get the hang of emptying the bin).
on 31 August 2014
Husband never used to get hoover out of cupboard. Since this baby arrived, he chooses to get up and go round the house with it!!!!! That in itself is a great advert for it! We bought the kit bag and attachments too which the cleaner found amazing - a tool for getting into every nook and cranny around even our dusty cottage!!
Bought this because of the rave reviews and I can't praise it enough. We bought a very expensive Dyson years ago and vowed never again, and would buy a cheap Hoover every two years instead. This one is absolutely brilliant, and the fact that it charges while hanging out of the way in a cloakroom makes it very ergonomic. The charge does only last for 17-20 minutes but we only have a little house. Honestly, if I were rich and had a bigger house, I would buy two and keep one at each end of the house!!
on 21 June 2014
I have had the Dyson DC59 for about a month now and I love it!
I was initially put off by the high price tag but decided I had to have it, I have a dog and 3 cats (1 recently acquired) they are all long haired and the hair was driving me up the wall.
I have a wonderful Sebo which is fab but the problem is that I just don't have the time to drag it out 4 times a day, I am always on the go and work long hours, so I really needed something that was quick and efficient. This is it!!
After 24 hours of it being in my home I was screaming from the rooftops "worth every penny!" It is a lifesaver.
It saves me so much time, can be used quickly and put back on the wall to charge, very lightweight and no hassle to do a quick whip round before leaving the house.
Upturned cat biscuit bowl in kitchen? No hassle. Cat litter all over the floor? No hassle. cat hair on the sofa? No hassle
With the tools included it is also brilliant for all the nooks and crannies, skirting boards, window sills, ceilings and its quick and does not feel like a work-out. I find the battery time fine and more than adequate as long as you don't use it on max power all the time. Wonderful. I tried the DC59 and DC44 in JLewis and the DC59 is much more powerful and has less charging time, so in my opinion is well worth the extra.
Sebo gets used about once a week now.
Buy one, you wont regret it.
on 20 February 2015
I bought mine from currys with the tool kit cheaper than here on amazon 2 days ago, used it this morn got the full 26 mins on mine, I cleaned 8 rooms in my 3 bedroom house, my Dyson DC25 has now become redundant, got mine because of health problems, the DC25 is 7 years old and still is a fine vac but it cripples me in pain using it, did tons of research on web sites, youtube before I picked this model. It's very light to use, the trigger is better than I thought it would be, if my hand gets tired I use it in my other hand for a while. it doesn't hold much which I knew, doesn't bother me as I carry a plastic bag with me, so cleaned all the house I emptied it 4 times. My stairs was a bit tricky as I have a stairlift going down it, the tool kit did a fine job cleaning round it, better than risking my life with the DC25 with the cord, it took me 2 days on/off to hoover my house with the DC25, now it takes 26 mins, as I am not plugging in and unplugging in every room etc, it's light to use. I read a lot of reviews on here as well as other sites, folk do pick at certain things like battery life or it's only got a small bin to collect the dirt, not as powerful as a mains vac list goes on. I don't have animals I bought it for the extra battery life and more power and to make my life better when I hoover my house. You can't compete this with a mains vac mainly because they have a stronger motor and can store dirt a lot more than this DC59 or any other cordless vac. People say it won't replace there main vac, I think it will as it's replaced my Dyson DC25 I won't be using it again, I'll give it one of my family members. So in overall I give it 10/10 I have no faults with it at all, it does what I want it to do.
on 19 February 2015
as a vacuum cleaner it outstanding. The long charging and short runtime are not an issue for me. What is an issue though is the emptying of the thing I push the button, the bottom pops open and a little of waste drops out. To get the rest (almost all) out I have to stick something inside and jiggle all the way around the container. Not good when you suffer from Asthma.
on 21 August 2014
I LOVE this hoover. It really is amazing. Expensive but worth every penny. Hoovering is suddenly not a chore but a pleasure...even my kids love using it. Buy it you will not regret it. My main worries prior to buying were the small container but isnt as big a hassle as id thought it would be. The 20 minute charge worry which is a common theme here, I have a four bedroom house and can do it all in 20minutes easily but generally I'm not hoovering my whole house in one go. If you have a really really massive house and do alot of hoovering in one go may be a problem but I reckon for most people not an issue. I was so sceptical before buying now I'm a convert and rave about it to anyone who'll listen.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been a fan of Dyson for many years, but since they started manufacturing outside the UK their products and their customer service have gone to pot!
I have had a Dyson Animal upright for years, ,made in uk always reliable. I bought my son and daughter in law one but just out of the guarantee (about a week) it packed up, no help from Dyson at all. They purchased a Henry.
I have been having difficulty carrying the large upright up the stairs and so bought a DC59. Initially it was brilliant, even though I had to carry a plastic bag to empty it constantly as the hopper is so small. I had had it for 29 days when emptying it the hinged bottom fell off of the canister. I had bought it on a 30 day money back guarantee from Currys, oh how I wish I had taken them up on it and got my money back. Anyway I was busy coming up to Christmas and Dyson agreed to send me a new clear canister - this took 8 WEEKS to arrive. Their telephone system is slow and the average for the calls to them would have been about 25 minutes holding on for an operator. 4 times I phoned to chase this item.
Anyway just been away on holiday and on return lo and behold the Dyson digital slim wont work! Press the trigger it works for 4 seconds and then cuts out with a flashing red light. Took everything to bits to check no blockages etc, covered myself in dust! Phoned Dyson, they were setting up a new computer system so no telephone support for several days.
I finally got through last week, waited 30 minutes on the phone for an assistant to answer, tried lots of different things, up and down the stairs, covered in more dust. Vacuum dismantled and I'm told it's the motor. Agree to send out the motor. A week later and the motor turns up this morning.
I unpack this, have to use a special tool to remove the old motor from the cyclone unit, which is very tricky. Reattach the battery unit and think I'll try it before I reattach everything else. Same fault!! Back on the phone to Dyson 40 minutes waiting for an assistant to answer. The assistant goes through the wrote that they are obviously given, is such and such a light coming on etc etc. Says there must be a blockage. I say how can there be a blockage when I've told you that the only thing connected to the motor is the battery. Insists that I reassemble the machine, which is no mean feat and very tricky. I'm covered in dust again. Try the machine 4 seconds and then cut out again. Assistant it must be the filter - no filter on it. Agree to send me a new battery unit.
As you can see I am rather fed up with Dyson and my Dyson. I did not spend £350 to get covered in thick dust and study for a degree in electrical and mechanical engineering.
The customer care of dyson has gone out the window. Would not recommend their products to anyone anymore and I was one of their biggest fans!