5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With The Painted Smile
This is a wonderfully written story of a roller-coaster life. The balance of ups and downs, cries and laughs works perfectly - keeping the reader hooked throughout.
Although it is one woman's struggle for acceptance of herself, there are so many facets entwining throughout that everyone will find something that they can relate to, I'm sure.
This type of story...
Published 9 months ago by Jes

3.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!
The Girl Behind the Painted Smile, does just what it says on the tin!
This is a honestly hauntingly moving memoir of a young girls struggle with alcohol and being accepted.... which went hand in hand for her.
Published 9 months ago by julie3

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With The Painted Smile, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Girl Behind the Painted Smile: My battle with the bottle (Kindle Edition)
This type of story will probably attract an older readership, due to the recollections from the '70s and '80s, but I would advise any young adults branching out into the world of adulthood and relationships to read this story and get ahead of the game.
What is so sad about this authors life is not how she lived it or where she went wrong, but that it took her fifty years to finally find herself and love herself. Sharing this story may wake up some of it's readers to the path their own lives are taking. That saying - If I knew then, what I know now...comes to mind.
All stories have a message and I wish I'd read this twenty years ago.
Many of us try to figure out where life went wrong and what caused it to happen, but you can't turn back the clock anyway. Sometimes life's just like that and this story proves that you can put it all behind you and be the person that you were meant to be regardless.
This is not at all a pity seeking, miserable tale. It's an uplifting story of the trials and pressures that life throws up, the ways they are dealt with, wisely or not, and the repercussions of the judgement of others and ones self.
A truly excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very compelling, gritty story that could easily be you, 13 Nov 2013
Catherine Lockwood has taken on a challenge in bearing her own personal experience with the world. And why did she do it? To tell the truth, to show people that alcoholism is not as clear-cut as one may think. And to help others. The public are very quick to judge, and even quicker to condemn. Perhaps, had they read this novel, they would realize one thing: not all of us are the same. The story is compelling as you watch Catherines life start to shatter around her, I wanted to scream at the pages at times, at others I wanted to give her a big hug, in still more I wanted to reach out and congratulate her. This is the story of one very brave womens conquer over her own insecurities, and unfortunately, lifes events. Alcoholics are not just ragged bums you see on the streets. It effects all people from all walks of life, and spans all social classes. The great thing about this novel is the happy ending, and shows the reader that with determination, anything is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations Catherine!, 21 Feb 2014
Brutal and honest, this beautifully written story is about a young woman's struggle with alcoholism and self image. Feeling sad and helpless, she faces her addiction demons head-on and finds the strength, courage, and integrity to overcome and conquer. Although sad to witness her down and out days, it's uplifting to know that she turned her life around, and learned to love herself. Quite the life lesson. Congratulations Catherine for caring and sharing your struggles with others!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Behind the Painted Smile, 28 Jan 2014
Wow what a story and so inspirational for anyone to read!
From the moment I starting reading it I didn't want to put it down until I had finished the story.
So well written and a warts and all story!!Thank you for writing it Catherine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 20 Jan 2014
From the very 1st page I wanted to read more. Catherine had a very relaxed and friendly writing style and reading her story made me angry, sad and laugh! The understanding we can all recover from life's challenges is huge. Catherine's life was tough and yet today she is living life her own way with strength and wisdom. Tonight I will sleep with only lovely thoughts!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, flawed, extraordinary., 6 Dec 2013
Tabatha Stirling (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
It is always a concern for me when buying a self pubbed book because you only have your intuition to guide you. And mine was spot on here. What a wild, wild ride. The author's narrative and brutal self honesty will haunt me in the weeks to come. There is candour here that is so refreshing. An unapologetic journal of the tragedy behind addiction and the courage and integrity that it take to conquer it. Not a completely comfortable read. As always with this kind of searing truth you feel that you are in the spotlight alongside the author. Breathless and unkempt I was compelled to read this in one sitting. Absolutely super. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars So incredibly inspiring. 5 Stars., 29 Oct 2013
The Girl Behind the Painted Smile is written with feeling, whilst managing to sustain humour throughout.
Indeed the author has been on a heartbreaking journey but it is one told without pity. Catherine's personality
really does shine throughout the book.

There is rather a lot of swearing in the book, though it made me giggle and I thought it was appropriately placed.

Catherine has proved just how resilient we can be. There are parts that made me snort with laughter - parts that made me cry. Either way, you may need tissues.

I really enjoyed her insight into working on TV, there were some certainly many eye-opening parts.

It has been an absolute pleasure to read your story Catherine, thank you for sharing you inspiring story and making me smile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 21 Oct 2013
The Girl Behind the Painted Smile, does just what it says on the tin!
I felt sad and helpless at times although I couldn't wait to turn the page for the next LOL moment and there were a few of those! My favorite was when Cathy took her daughter to the church where she married and the little girl asked if the gravestones were where her guests ended up!
Addictive!! but although there is a warning of strong language its not for the prudish. I am looking forward to her novel coming out next.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't pull myself out of this book!, 22 July 2014
This is the story of Cathy who suffered with chronic alcoholism. She begins the book at her rock bottom and then takes us back over her life to try and make sense of how she became an alcoholic. It is not a poor me memoir and Cathy takes responsibility for all her actions. The ending has a positive outcome without giving too much away, but obviously it needed this conclusion for her to write the story. It has a good balance of sad memories and happy, laugh out loud anecdotes. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 20 May 2014
I couldn't put this book down I read it from start to finish in two nights. I laughed out loud how Cathy phrased somethings, she accepts that she isn't perfect and never will be but she also had the the courage and the intelligence to overcome alcoholism and write a brilliant book. love it love it!