on 12 July 2011
The author describes in detail his appalling torrid time suffering from Crohn's Disease and then finding his path to health with this diet ("as God gave it in the Bible"). I was a CD sufferer myself and am now registered as cured, so I understand a lot of what he saying in this book.

It is engagingly written and an inspiring read for a path to health - even if you have not had CD because there are plenty of other complaints that this health diet should address (it's not a weight loss diet). A problem with the diet is that unpasteurised dairy products are an integral part of it - and they are not legal in the UK, so unless you live next door to a friendly dairy farmer you will struggle with that one. It won't be cheap either as ingredients need to be organic and some supplements itemised are not cheap at all (e.g. SBO Probiotics cost me £25 for a container of 60 tabs).

My one problem with the book is that it is unashamedly Christian, hence 4* not 5*. I write it in that way because his style is proselytising and quite self-righteous which gives an air of condescension; I have nothing against Christianity, but would prefer not to be preached at if I have chosen a different path. And besides, nearly all the dietary advice in the Bible is from the OT and is therefore Jewish teaching.

Even so I believe it is maybe one of the best diets a person could adopt and am about to kick it off myself; I will write an update report once my 40 days are up (it's a 40-day diet, with the advice to continue thereafter if you can).
1111 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2016
Let me start by saying that this is mostly applicable to an American audience. Many of the things mentioned that are present in food in America is not the case in the UK. Secondly, I respect the concept of keeping processed foods to a minimum and sticking to what God gave us.

However the dismissive attitude the author has towards vaccinations completely put me off. I know this is a controversial issue however he sites studies that have long since been disputed (such as the link between MMR and autism).

God has given us natural food yes, but He has also blessed us with modern medicine. Is it sometime too much? Certainly. However urging people not to get their appendix out when (in the UK anyway) this is only done is life-threatening situations is both irresponsible and, frankly, crazy.
on 6 April 2013
It was good to read how this diet came about. It does appear extreme at first but you must use your imagination and creativity, e.g. use swede instead of potato for making rosti, stuffed peppers.
Using the book is essential if you want to follow it correctly, Wikipedia is not good enough! Also it caters for the US market, therefore you may need to improvise e.g. alternative flours and I really missed hot drinks in the first two weeks. It's good to know where your health stores are too. Study the book before you start the diet. This book really makes you question why you eat certain prepared foods and although I cook a lot, I will do more afterwards too. I lost 17 pounds during Lent and it really curbed the sugar cravings too. I will do this again during the year.
on 9 June 2013
I found this book to be informative, and passionately written with clear evidence to back up its findings and recommendations based on Biblical Truth. A must read for those who are serious about their health and well being. Losing weight is an excellent bonus of following the course. As a vegetarian I adapted some of the suggested menus, I was able to home in on relevant aspects for my personal situation. Experienced significant improvement in my health.
on 10 January 2014
Amazing story . I changed so many things in my life beacause of this book and my health improved so much. Recently olive oil and turmeric and ginger helped me to overcome my joint problems. I was happy to avoid injection into my nerve. I recommend it to everybody!
on 30 June 2010
A well written book with a diet that made me lose 5kg in less than 2 weeks.
on 22 June 2015
The Makers Diet is a Healthy, easy way to eat for optimal health. The focus is healing and to be healthy.
on 23 January 2015
Very sensible. It's time we all started taking responsibility for our own health by watching what goes into our stomach. This book explains the commonsensical way of doing just that.
on 16 August 2009
Excellent book that should be in very child of Gods library. Will never date or grow old.
on 29 January 2016
Wonderful book which has helped me enormously with my diet and solves you digestion problems completely.