4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely change of pace
This album has really brightened a dark January. It's a simply lovely, slightly melancholy change of pace for the fabulous SEB. Her voice has never sounded as fabulous as it does on this collection of stripped-back tracks. Her song-writing collaboration with Ed Harcourt has paid creative dividends, every song here is a memorable keeper. I won't mind if Sophie returns to...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. D. Glennon

3.0 out of 5 stars ... I had heard two of the tracks and really liked them. Not sure about the other tracks but ...
Bought the album because I had heard two of the tracks and really liked them. Not sure about the other tracks but they might grow on me with playing.
Published 2 months ago by Annie

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a bang !, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Bought this album off the strength of the first single having heard it on radio two. Fabulous album, lots of superb tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful melodies, 9 Jun 2014
D "DA" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
So different to anything out there at the moment - this CD has beautiful melodies, a few unusal texts like the "camera" song. Really liking it. I do find it a bit short though..

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Sophie., 22 May 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Love it, on in the car been playing it for a few weeks and haven't tired of it yet. Fab album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Both myself and my daughter (age 6) love this, its been on loop in the car since purchased! Def Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie's on form with this one, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
There are some dance-style tracks and some smoochy ones - all beautiful, of course. Well done, Sophie, on another great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 18 April 2014
Mark Russell (Darlington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Sophie is my guilty pleasure. I really like what she has done with this album, there are some great influences in it which really appeal. Just glad she's still working hard at producing some great easy to listen to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars And The Audience Goes Wild, 23 Mar 2014
P. Baldowski "boreders.com" (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
To my mind, and ear, this takes me back to the first time I listened to Sophie fronting The Audience. I have never warmed to the pop-centric Sophie, so when I chanced a listen to the preview snippets of the tracks from this album I found myself rapidly falling in the love.

Her voice remains a soothing whisper on the ear, singing lyrics with a melancholic angle - occasionally brightened by more upbeat ditties - like 13 Little Dolls. I don't mind that break in tone at all - and now that I have listened to the whole album in full, there's nothing here I don't like. Sometimes I have to listen to an album more than once to make a call on what works and what runs harsh against my nerves - but, I'm supremely satisfied.

Set alongside The Audience, for sure, and angled to become one of my favourites of 2014.

4.0 out of 5 stars there’s a sense that she is maturing and doing her own thing, 2 Oct 2014
Ms. T. Daniels "drunkenwerewolf" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Sailing off the back of her Strictly Come Dancing wave of fame, Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s timing couldn’t be more perfect. The result of her foray into external media comes in the form of a sold out tour and much anticipation for her return back into the music loop.

Wanderlust is okay. That introduction isn’t very elaborate for a writer, granted; but there are few other reactions to give to Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s fifth studio album. The vocals are fairly weak, and completely overpowered by the exotic sound of strings that first catch your attention. Still, you can see the style Sophie is aiming for on Wanderlust. The atmospheric orchestra feel is very Florence and the Machine, especially reminiscent of debut album Lungs. On Wanderlust unfortunately sometimes it just doesn’t click into place.

It isn’t all doom and gloom. “Young Blood” is the glorious first single taken from Wanderlust, and while inoffensive the highlight of the album has to be "13 Little Dolls". It sets an entirely different pace to the rest of the album while maintaining the big lunged influence of Florence. The interlude track is also promising. The moodiness of this instrumental piece is intriguing, with various sounds reminding you of an old-fashioned circus and strangely enough, the Addams Family.

Ever since the days of “Murder on the Dancefloor”, Sophie Ellis-Bextor has attempted to carve a musical career past the one hit wonder mark. This is her fifth album, and there’s a sense that she is maturing and doing her own thing. Unfortunately Wanderlust misses a trick, and could easily become filler noise. It also won’t appeal to fans of Sophie cerca 2002.

Read more reviews like this one: http://www.drunkenwerewolf.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, Not So Much!, 24 Jan 2014
John Craig - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
I was surprised that I loved this album from the first listen, and then wondered why I was so shocked at this major change of departure. I've never been a huge fan of Sophie's, but I did buy her last 2 albums on the strength of their singles and was happy I did so. I had heard that Wanderlust was a major departure, but figured what the hell, it's only 11 songs and not a great deal out of my life.
What is not surprising is that everything that has been prevalent on Sophie's other albums is also prevalent here, although wrapped up slightly differently. Understated but sing-along, sophisticated melodies coupled with witty, observant lyrics and Sophie's oh-so-british style of singing. This is typical Sophie, but with all the posturing dance beats and highly produced synth sounds stripped away. It's really no different, just......different.
It oozes a yearning for another, simpler time, and perhaps that's what the 'Wanderlust' of the title suggests. I won't go into all the tracks, but the lead-off single, Young Blood, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, and the slow waltz of Love is a Camera changing into a manically charged, Romanian Gypsy clap-along that gets faster and faster until you feel giddy always gets me smiling and skipping round the floor. But every song here is a class act all it's own. I just wish it was summer so I could lie in a hay field and feel the sun on my face whilst listening to these gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Superb

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

Wanderlust
Wanderlust by Sophie Ellis Bextor (Audio CD - 2014)