4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely change of pace
Published 10 months ago by Mr. D. Glennon

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked Young Blood
So I bought the album.

Love is A Camera is a bit 'dark' but intriguing. Think if there's another single from it, it'll be 13 Little Dolls.

Never been aware of any of her other stuff so I don't know if this is 'different' or not - it's just good, in my opinion.
Published 8 months ago by Nik Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely change of pace, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
This album has really brightened a dark January. It's a simply lovely, slightly melancholy change of pace for the fabulous SEB. Her voice has never sounded as fabulous as it does on this collection of stripped-back tracks. Her song-writing collaboration with Ed Harcourt has paid creative dividends, every song here is a memorable keeper. I won't mind if Sophie returns to more dance-oriented pop for her next album, but this is certainly a lovely change of pace in the meantime. Heartily recommended for fans and newcomers alike. I don't often buy CDs these day, opting more often for the convenience of downloading, but I'm very happy to add this one to my collection. I hope it's a huge success for Sophie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, 22 Jan 2014
A. Soares (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
I bought the special booklet version, the photos and the packaging are very beautiful.
The songs are good, not the usual dance/electro feel, but great pop music for grown ups. Her voice is very distinctive and it shines on balads like Young Blood and Runaway Daydreamer.
The opening track, Birth of a Nation, is an epic, eastern feel powerhouse, love it.
This is a new direction for Sophie, and it truly deserves praise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good work Sophie, 20 Jan 2014
r (weybridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Something different, something better. A long way from previous chart pop, but equally not as 'serious' as life long jazz and club singers. A mix of tempos and of orchestration and production styles from rockin to a bit slushy. Strangely reminds me of Robbie I somehow. Overall good. Next album should be interesting.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophie's Sunday Morning Album, 24 Sep 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
I've always loved Sophie's highly distinctive voice. Nobody sounds quite like her, she has one of those voices which, as soon as it comes on the radio, you recognise instantly. It's a curious mixture of both frailty and steely determination, vaguely gravelly, but always lovely. She's done a bit of a Goldfrapp here, i.e. made the jump from uptempo, electronic and synth-based, delicious pop melodies, to a stripped back, melancholic and relaxing, acoustic sound. As always, she sings with perfectly clarity, each and every word is enunciated with absolute precision (you can't say that for a lot of singers). Runaway Daydreamer is a lovely melody with some nice lyrics. The Deer and the Wolf is a bit more lively with a funky guitar riff. Interlude is quite quirky, the sort of track which wouldn't be out of place on Kate Bush's Never For Ever. 13 Little Dolls has attitude, reminding me a bit of The Sound of The Underground by Girls Aloud. Love Is a Camera would fit very comfortably on Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain album. My favourite track is definitely Cry to The Beat of The Band, which has some gorgeous vocal harmonies. I think that she could remix this particular song as a synth dance track and have a hit. I've knocked one star off the rating, only because I love Sophie's pop music a bit more, which harks back to the 80s glory days of Human League, Depeche Mode and Heaven 17. In any event, this album is a lovely and gentle way to help revive your body and mind on a Sunday morning, after a pleasure-seeking night before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie Ellis-Bextor's Most Impressive Album (so-far) of her career., 28 Aug 2014
R. Howard "grandprize" (London,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
I Have never listened to a Sophie Ellis-Bextor album before, but I wanted to hear what all the fuss was about after the enormous raving about this latest album.
I have been a fan of Sophie's since her debut single 'Take Me Away', not just the single but also the music video which I personally think is one of the best Pop Single Debut Song and Music Video by a Female Pop Artist, in this whole country's history and evolution of popular music.
Anyways... to this album...it's just BRILLIANT!
You can tell this is a very different direction for Sophie, just by looking at the album's cover.
The most impressive thing about this album though, is that Sophie had complete control over the whole structure of this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars And The Audience Goes Wild, 23 Mar 2014
P. Baldowski "boreders.com" (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
To my mind, and ear, this takes me back to the first time I listened to Sophie fronting The Audience. I have never warmed to the pop-centric Sophie, so when I chanced a listen to the preview snippets of the tracks from this album I found myself rapidly falling in the love.

Her voice remains a soothing whisper on the ear, singing lyrics with a melancholic angle - occasionally brightened by more upbeat ditties - like 13 Little Dolls. I don't mind that break in tone at all - and now that I have listened to the whole album in full, there's nothing here I don't like. Sometimes I have to listen to an album more than once to make a call on what works and what runs harsh against my nerves - but, I'm supremely satisfied.

Set alongside The Audience, for sure, and angled to become one of my favourites of 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, Not So Much!, 24 Jan 2014
John Craig - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
I was surprised that I loved this album from the first listen, and then wondered why I was so shocked at this major change of departure. I've never been a huge fan of Sophie's, but I did buy her last 2 albums on the strength of their singles and was happy I did so. I had heard that Wanderlust was a major departure, but figured what the hell, it's only 11 songs and not a great deal out of my life.
What is not surprising is that everything that has been prevalent on Sophie's other albums is also prevalent here, although wrapped up slightly differently. Understated but sing-along, sophisticated melodies coupled with witty, observant lyrics and Sophie's oh-so-british style of singing. This is typical Sophie, but with all the posturing dance beats and highly produced synth sounds stripped away. It's really no different, just......different.
It oozes a yearning for another, simpler time, and perhaps that's what the 'Wanderlust' of the title suggests. I won't go into all the tracks, but the lead-off single, Young Blood, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it, and the slow waltz of Love is a Camera changing into a manically charged, Romanian Gypsy clap-along that gets faster and faster until you feel giddy always gets me smiling and skipping round the floor. But every song here is a class act all it's own. I just wish it was summer so I could lie in a hay field and feel the sun on my face whilst listening to these gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Bought this album after hearing a couple of the tracks on the radio. I like something that is a bit different and this is certainly that. There is not a song on there that I don't like. I have played it over and over and the more I play it the more I love it. Atmospheric and beautiful and she has such a distinctive voice. Wonderful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
Great album! Love all of Sophie's without fail! Definitely different but once it grows on you, you will be hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars wanderlust, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
really enjoyable album, been playing it constantly since getting it, some great ballads and a couple of really quirky tracks. come in the post really quickly and well packaged

Wanderlust
Wanderlust by Sophie Ellis Bextor (Audio CD - 2014)