4.0 out of 5 stars Cheapy Chirpers; good for the price
I bought these the other day to replace a set of Creative i-Trigue 2000 stereo speakers which I also bought from Amazon back in the vintage year of 2006. They had developed a fault whereby the left speaker would stop output unless you fiddled with the switches and buttons; most annoying.

Anyway, I got these Z200s this morning. My first impression was one of...
Published 5 months ago by Stephen C. Wakeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but expected a higher quality look
I use these with my desktop PC. I tend to have music or streaming radio on when using my PC for any period of time.

Published 11 months ago by Mr. Jon Forster

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheapy Chirpers; good for the price, 30 Sept. 2014
Stephen C. Wakeman "Mobius1" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)

Anyway, I got these Z200s this morning. My first impression was one of surprise as they are quite a lot bigger than I expected. In fact my exact thinking when unboxing them was expletive mahoosive. Considering that these are marketed as ideal companion speakers for a laptop I get the feeling that they'd somewhat dwarf said equipment. I'm using them with a desktop system, so they just share the space behind my monitor.

Nonetheless they're a cinch to set up. Mains powered you therefore need a free plug socket for a low-voltage style adapter plug. The speaker units themselves appear and feel to be of quite a good build quality. Whilst the plastic looks like it might be soft touch, it sadly isn't but then at this price that's probably asking too much. One thing I don't like is that the audio cable that plugs into your PC or laptop is all black, very thin and extremely weedy looking and is a bit incongruous compared to the perceived quality of the speakers themselves.

As for sound, which is arguably one of the most important aspects of speakers, the sound is I'd say middling in quality. Sounds and music come through decidedly richly and avoid the tinniness associated with this kind of product. At the same time though there isn't much in the way of bass and the little tone adjustment wheel really has little effect on the sound that these things produce. Additionally, the action of altering the tone doesn't seem to smoothly ramp with your scrolling but rather harshly switches to different tonal modes - this could be an issue with my set but it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it because I usually set that how I like and leave it for the rest of forever.

In summary these are decent speakers for the price and you'll likely be satisfied by them, providing you don't expect anything eargasmic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Fine., 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
These speakers sound remarkably good when occasionally listening to music on my laptop. Great little speakers for the money. Well pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Style and Sound on a budget, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
These logitech Z200's are a very stylish pair of pc speakers. I bought them to go alongside my macbook and external monitor they easily flanked them with the minimum 1.4m cable which separates the left and right speaker. The speakers when left powered on on my desk are completely silent, they do not suffer from the common cheap speaker problem of constantly emitting either a high of low frequency buzz.the power and input cables are also sufficiently long.
Sound Quality :
movies - Excellent, pleasant bass (no sub - don't expect it to shake your foundations) and good vocal performance means these are ideal for movie and tv show audio.

Music : Good-Great, the music from these speaker won't surpass a dedicated Hi-Fi but it isn't disappointing, the bass can be adjusted to suit your taste but it will never satisfy those who want to be blown away without a sub woofer. Female vocals are impressive but with a little lacking in the middle some male vocalists can sound a little dim. Treble is also satisfying but for £28 it doesn't bring that smile to your face that can be experienced when you hear things you didn't know were there on your favourite record or album from a really good set of speakers/headphones.

As PC Speakers on a budget these are the best I've heard for under £50 and are more pleasing aesthetically in person than in pictures. I can easily recommend these to someone looking for Good sound and style on a budget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but expected a higher quality look, 17 Mar. 2014
Mr. Jon Forster "sensor" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was looking for something small, easy controls and well made by a reputable company. These tick the second and third requirement but are bigger than I expected. They are about 8 inches high. They also feel a bit 'plastic', I thought the quality of look and feel would be a bit better.

For sound, they are pretty good and have a good control dial. They plug in and did not need any drivers etc. the cable between the speakers is also long enough to have at opposite sides of a dual monitor set up. This is good.

Overall, good sound, if not turned to max, and easy to control. Good cable length. Let down by a slightly cheap look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little speakers, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
Good quality, as you would expect from Logitech.

I know that pages will be (have been) written as to their sound quality output. All I will say is, that for the size, they have a surprisingly nice sound - they even manage a little of the bass - a reasonably loud output and no, they will not be suitable to run a disco but I have used them to do a presentation in a conference room at a push, quite suscessfully.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars. Not SO bad but bass does ring and there are many alternatives., 24 Feb. 2014
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've revised my review after a couple of days' listening.

These provide a good stereo effect and, especially with vocals, the speakers can 'disappear' so the sound seems to come from all around and not identifiably from the 2 sound sources.

Connections are all nice and accessible and the on-off/volume switch is fine; volume increases smoothly (linearly, not exponentially). The speakers are hard-wired though, which restricts positioning.

The high frequencies are acceptable and your cymbals/horn sections ting and er.. 'trump' pleasingly (although they seems to peak at Polystyrene-squeaking frequency, whatever that is).

My main complaint is with the ringing bass: there is a strong peak around 150Hz which makes me cringe when a note hits it. Bass drums can sound like a knock instead of a thump. This is a shame as testing shows that they are capable of going a lot lower; the passive radiators (bottom 'drivers') work as they should and travel more than the powered (top) driver at lower frequencies.

With a parametric equaliser this peak could be smoothed-out which would increase listening pleasure. Given the opportunity, I'd also try to boost the frequencies towards 15kHz.

But one shouldn't have to play with the source signal and even though these are relatively inexpensive, there is a LOT of choice in this price range for 2.0 sets, for example:

JBL Jembe 2.0 Computer Speaker System - Black
Genius SP-HF 500 A Wired Active
Trust 19021 Tytan 2.0 Wired Active
Philips SPA1260 Wired Active

I also use Logitech's Logitech X-140 Multimedia Speakers (2.0) which sound more involving right out of the box, have a protective grille and thicker, more rubbery wires. Although other X-140 users reported whining and noise, mine work fine and I would not consider these Z200s an upgrade.

The Z200s ARE still growing on me though, and, listening to Rush 'Here Again' at close to top pelt they sound pret-ty good!

PS. Although new, mine arrived with fingerprints all around the volume knob -from the assembly worker, perhaps?
[My ref: Slightly lacking Logitech monoliths. EQ would add potential. Feb 2014]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, 23 Mar. 2014
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quite impressed with these. Styling is unremarkable but the sound output is quite warm and impressive and will do justice to a study or small bedroom. The same money however will get you a decent 2.1 system with sub or a portable Bluetooth speaker. I would only go for these again if I needed a static setup e.g. for a PC and was limited for space (7/10).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking speakers, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
5 Stars go to these good looking little beauties, nice design and a great sound coming from these pc speakers. Again i would highly recommend these as they were not expensive, just a great price and nicely packaged so if your looking for something that sounds good and looks attractive then go for these..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Speakers., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
Got these to replace some cheap speakers I bought for £8 seven years ago.
The sound is brilliant, so much better than I had thought. In game sounds are richer and music...wow!
I can actually hear the bass in both music and voice. I'm really impressed with the speakers.
They are not much taller than the speakers I already had, but they are deeper and they also have a good non slip rubber underneath.
The only down side, although not an issue for myself, the cable from the PC to the speakers could do with being a little longer.
The electric plug is nice and slim too, it's not a huge bulky transformer like my old one was and I can now access the socket to the side of it.
(Probably worth bearing in mind that my review is based on the Z200 speakers replacing cheap old speakers )

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black (Accessory)
I bought the speakers because of the advertised rich stereo sound and deep base and the fact you could alter the tone. While in fact its okay to listen to a single singer but when I listened to a group playing the speakers reverberated so bad I could not listen because the music was so distorted, using the tone tone dial made no difference at all, I am a sixty year old man so I would not say that it was turned very loud to make that happen. The previous speakers that I had where a third of the price and sounded much better. Very disappointed and not at all recommended

Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black