4.0 out of 5 stars Right Now It's a Decent Buy
*Please read Edits 2 & 3*

It's a budget entry level Lenovo machine. It's not a mid / top range Thinkpad. Put any thought of that out of your head. Put any thought of a "Lifestyle" product out too. It's not a gaming machine either, or a graphics workstation. It is what it is and aimed at entry to mid level computing.

You get a 3rd generation Ivy...
Published 12 months ago by Tarquin Butterworth

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy at your own risk
The laptop is ok for basic use and the built in nvidia graphics card is pretty good for gaming. I can't stand windows 8 and it sucks that it comes installed but I guess that's the future of most laptops now.

However I would not recommend buying this laptop. I purchased it at the end of 2013 but my wifi kept dropping or there was limited connection. I sent it...
Published 4 months ago by Avaloo

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners laptop, 23 Jan 2014
M. Ohrstrom - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo G500s 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
Bought this for my son. Amazed what 300 odd pounds buys you these days. A great basic laptop. Make sure you update it to windows 8.1 as this seems to resolve some wifi issues (and it also is a much better system than 8.0). Highly recommended for kids or basic users. Keyboard is good, build quality is good, feels nice and sturdy, since is good, not too thick, not super small. Really happy with my purchase actually :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first laptop, 25 Aug 2014
Was Good first laptop. Being used for lots of media streaming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price., 21 Aug 2014
The innards work well but the laptop itself is rather flimsy.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality., 31 Dec 2013
Was my first laptop and its fitting my lifestyle grealty, couldn't expect anything more.
Helps me out and suits my daughter amazingly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well! something new, 19 Jan 2014
The heading says it all. I was used to a PC with XP op system so I was gobsmacked by the new stuff which comes with Windows 8. I actually hated it because there was so much to learn. Now I am starting to appreciate what it offers and have buckled down. The Lenovo itself performs well. I still don't like the keyboard & I am keeping my old PC for extended typing exercises. I have not yet come to terms with the Lenovo so-called Bloatware. When I have a month to spare I will look at some of the options like backup but meanwhile I have hidden some of the icons. Nice slim case adequate usb's & a disk drive. Have not yet tried music.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is just what I needed-Thankyou., 4 Jan 2014
The specification is excellent and I think it is excellent value for the money.I do not have any dislikes as yet.Thankyou.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job!, 23 Oct 2014
Super lap-top! I am no expert but even I can find what I need, and its so quick!
Excellent product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 19 Sep 2014
tooo plastic....... fell down once and the area where mains plug connects to in the laptop is damaged

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Nov 2014
Very good - Keyboard you get used to after a while and i have had no problems with mine

3.0 out of 5 stars (Barely) acceptable budget laptop., 29 Oct 2013
oobie38 (London, England) - See all my reviews
Suggested this to my wife when she needed a budget Windows laptop. It had no reviews at this stage, and 'coming soon' under the description on the Lenovo website suggested it might be a new model.

First things first, despite the description from Amazon, this laptop does not have an IPS screen. Unfortunately this was the main drawcard for buying this over other similarly priced products.
We own a couple of Maccbooks, and work laptops are normally of a fairly high spec and build quality, so I was a bit unsure of what we were buying.

The laptop is large and heavy, and there's some flex from the chassis and screen if you're not careful. Matt black finish, not slippery to pick up. Size and weight would indicate it as a desktop replacement, rather than something to be carted around or used on the sofa.

Keyboard is pretty dire. The keys aren't backlit, and they are particularly short travel. The inclusion of a separate numeric keypad directly to the right of the shift and return keys makes them difficult to find. Spacebar seems shorter than usual. Because of the numeric keys everything seems off centre, but this may be a matter of familiarity. The trackpad, isnt up to the standard of Lenovos business offerings, being pretty unresponsive, and not very tactile. Multi gesture support is pretty hit and miss.

Performance is acceptable, though its only being used for Excel - I cant comment on handling of more demanding applications.

Screen is fair, viewing angles just about acceptable for two people next to each other to view the screen ok. Obviously at this resolution and screen size there's pixellation visible if you look closely, but thats fine, it's only recently that people started looking at ppi counts, and its not important for our usage.

I suspect that this is an average budget laptop, hence three stars.

Since its only for occassional use, and for a particular task then its acceptable, but no more. At the price we paid (Amazon had it discounted by 20% over rrp) its fine, but if it was my only laptop I'd definitely return it and look elsewhere, for something with a better keyboard and more sturdy build, probably in a 14" size.
The description of the screen type as IPS is something that Amazon need to correct- IPS at this price would have been a major selling point.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›