5.0 out of 5 stars Ultrabook at its ultra cool, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 13-inch Touchscreen Laptop - Silver Grey (Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
This is my second laptop after having owned Samsung Q330 for quite a while. I waited and waited for the clementine i7 version but given up and when I saw the price dropped I ordered it instantly.This is a massive upgrade from my 1366x768 TN panel upto 3200x1800. Windows 8.1 copes pretty well with it so far, but there apps that still require updates and work to accomodate this resolution.To sum up:

Display - Gorgeous, 4K youtube videos look amazing, its almost an eye opener, has to be seen to be believed. The touchscreen is responsive, there is no lag, IE11 integrates well with 8.1 and is in fact very responsive, gone are the days of people branding IE a slugfest. The mustard yellow issue has been fixed with the BIOS upgrade, which I have immediately applied. No dead pixels to speak of, great QC from Lenovo.

Keyboard/Touchpad - ergonomic, great feedback, not a great deal of travel but manageable. Loved the fact that its backlit and the touchpad is awesome when it comes to browsing and doing things all at once with just a couple of fingers.

Performance - Thanks to the SSD, this machine flies when it comes to boot-up times, installing apps, and pretty much everything else. I have installed a single VM so far, and the performance (with high performance profile enabled) is what I expected, great for mobile developer, analyst or simply an IT geek. 4Gb of RAM is not that much of a deal breaker, I would prefer 8 but for this price it cannot be beaten.

Battery - I have given it a full charge, using it at half brightness I have played with it pretty much all day and have not even used half of it, I am guessing this is to do with the fact that I had such an old laptop previously, the power management is smart enough thus far.

Form Factor - the fact that it turns into a QHD+ tablet in just one turn is a sight to behold, great for those long train journeys, messing around with games (bare in mind this is not a gamer's machine, but the likes of Fruit Ninja, Carmageddon and all other flash games it will cope just fine) or showing off that latest blu-ray rip. I presume it will be great on the long flights simply because the TENT mode is great for tray tables.

Sound - this is by far the best sounding laptop I have witnessed thus far, it completely overwhelms pretty much everything else I heard in this form factor, my Nexus 10 has some pretty good speakers, but this laptop sounds a lot richer, the base is fantastic for a device this thin, the down-firing speakers do their job in such a way, it reminds me of those fantastic Bose super slim speakers that still manage to produce superior sounds. The laptop speakers are Dolby certified and I can see why - next to display this is the second most stand-out feature of this laptop.

Overall - I love this laptop so far, time will tell on just how well it will continue to perform. For 899£ this is an absolute bargain, thank you Amazon and Lenovo ! One happy customer once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an upgrade!!, 23 Nov 2013
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was so close to buying the original Yoga but resisted as I felt it needed some refinement. It's like Lenovo took everyone's feedback and gave us exactly what we asked for:

-Better Power Management
-Better Battery life (7-9 hours)
-HD screen (Super HD in this case)
-Backlit Keyboard (yey - my favourite addition)
-Improved design - better looks

There are a lot of Windows 8.1 convertibles out there at the moment, some of them pretty good but I think the Lenovo (in this version) just about does enough to sit top of the pile in my opinion. It's definitely the most versatile and its miles ahead with the screen which just pops at you. I've seen a few double takes when people see my super HD (4K) wallpaper.

This is a fantastic upgrade and credit to Lenovo for listening to its customers and delivering. Windows 8.1 does a great job of handling the resolution although some apps still need to be updated but overall whether using in laptop or tablet mode this is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars This machine has really suprised me, 8 Feb 2014
Amazon Customer (Côte d'Azur France) - See all my reviews
I've been using this machine for a few weeks now and I'm having trouble find any faults with it. A few Windows flaws, but I'm getting used to it now. I'm an ex Mac user, so used to a 'different' Operating System (I resisted saying better!). The screen is amazing, the keyboard is superb, as is the touchpad once you get used to how it works (you can use touch or physical clicking, but clicking makes the cursor disappear so I avoid that and so it works fine).

I thought the flipping of modes might just be a gimmick, but I actually love it. Stand mode on my lap is great for reading apps like flipboard, Facebook and for Magazines / papers. Some reviews have said that the flex in the screen in this mode is too much. This is not my experience at all, it works great. Reaching across the keyboard is not a great touch experience, but I love it and I have found myself using my iPad less and less, however it's too heavy to use comfortably as a tablet (in my opinion), so I don't worry about the keys on the back (but not as heavy as Amazon think, as its 1.39kg not 2.5kg; buy some scales guys!)

I've not even heard the fan come on yet, so its runs quietly and also not hot, in fact barely even warm. Backlit keyboard is great. I heard about scaling issues, but it seems that Windows 8.1 sorted out that little issue and I've not had to change the resolution for anything yet and I use alot of 3rd party software. The battery is around 6 and a half hours with no battery saving tweaks, so not even close to my Mac (or the Lenovo promised 9 hours), but who needs 13 hours on a battery? I cannot imagine needing to stare at a laptop screen for more than 6 hours in a day (for me I need no more than 3 hours in a day) but it depends on what you need, but for me this is no issue.

The yellow issue really doesn't bother me at all; I would not have noticed it if nobody had mentioned it. It was a little green at first, but the update made it better. The main thing here is bang for your buck I paid £945 for an i5 8GB ram machine (not here, sorry Amazon, you're too expensive) and you won't get the same speck for this cash and certainly not in this amazing format.

If you want a Windows machine (for me it was a need to run the 3rd party software I have to run) then this is the best you will find for the money; you just won't do better for under £1,000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent form factor combined with superb performance, 12 Nov 2013
In brief, this laptop has redefined computing portability and performance for me.

I am constantly finding myself impressed by the battery life and the quality of the screen.

For the price there's not much that can match it spec-for-spec, and nothing that comes close when you factor in the hybrid design.

Positives:
- Amazing screen
- Great build quality
- Super light. Light enough for the missus to hold the laptop in one hand at arms length
- Excellent battery life
- Keyboard feels and looks great
- Flexibility - Doesn't matter how I'm slouching I can find a comfortable configuration for the laptop
- Perfomance - this is top-of-the line and shows it. A full reboot is measured in seconds and there's very little lag loading big applications (such as popular photo editing, drawing, office software and IDEs)

Negatives:
- None that are specific to this laptop

Windows 8 specific negatives [not included in the product rating]:
- Windows 8.1 feels great in either desktop or "Modern" mode however switching between those modes can be a little jarring
- Some applications don't scale properly for the high resolution screen and have tiny buttons, images and controls. It's up to the application developers to address this though (and I am sure they will)

Notes:
- I have the i7/8GB/256GB version in silver
- There was an issue with the way the colour yellow was rendered on the screen - this has now been resolved with an update to the BIOS and power management software

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quantum leap, 16 Nov 2013
This machine has the lot,and makes my other laptop look like a dinosaur.Although it takes a little time to get to grips with win 8 its brilliant in touchscreen and standard mode.This machine is ultra versatile with its gymnastic screen and dolby sound.If you love new technology at its best. this is the machine to go for,,,,Well done Lenovo

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo is perfect, 8 May 2014
Needed a light hi performance laptop.

This is everything and more...

Only one downside is that it is too hi res for most programmes at present so reduce the resolution to fix this!

Great item, great service as always from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying from Amazon, 20 Feb 2014
Stephen B. Peddie (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
A decent machine although mine was delivered with an intermittent fault with the internal wireless card. I ignored it but after a few weeks the fault went hard and I rang Amazon to report the problem. The operator could not have been more helpful: the faulty machine was collected within 24 hours and its replacement arrived within 48.

I would have preferred a repair only because it took me another day to personalize the replacement machine, that said I'm not going to find any fault with Amazon's preference for a straight replacement.

If you're going to purchase a laptop I couldn't recommend Amazon more highly. Truly a stand-out retailer.

UPDATED - The replacement machine had to be returned to Amazon after a couple of months occasional use with the same fault as the first, i.e. loss of the Wi-Fi. Windows diagnostics confirmed a fault with the Intel chipset and I returned the laptop to Amazon. I'm not interested in a third attempt to get my hands on a reliable machine so that's it for Lenovo. A shame because the Lenovo Z570 I also own has proven a fabulous purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely piece of kit, 15 Feb 2014
Thomo (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this as my daughter was using my laptop more and more as a treat. It is a great laptop.

I had some initial trouble getting the screen rotation to work, but solved it by updating all drivers from the Lenovo website. Since then no problems. And I never say the yellow tinged screen at all.

The screen looks lovely and the whole touch experience is fantastic - I keep trying to touch my work laptop screen, feeling a little stupid!

As an ultra book it is very light and great looking. The keyboard is easy to use and the trackpad great. The load times with the sleep mode plus SSD are incredibly quick - open the lid and it comes to life with the log on screen - and the face recognition works really well. Folding the keyboard back to use for web browsing with it on my lap works just great. It is too heavy to carry round as a tablet for any length of time, but on my lap is very comfortable and having the keyboard as a stand is better than an iPad!

I'd really recommend this as a top quality flexible ultra book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5*, 17 Nov 2013
I`ve bought this laptop (Intel Core i7 4500U, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD version) right after it came out. It is super fast with 5 second boot up, the screen is superb, amazingly clear 3200 x 1800 resolution. I have noticed the yellow is a bit different as mentioned but this is so minor, you wont notice it in videos or in everyday use. (the only place I`ve noticed is the bbc homepage where I could see a bit of a difference to the yellow on my old laptop). 13,3 inch superfast, thin and light convertible laptop.