5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the uncertain
I had a conversation with a Wii-owning friend, and he didn't know what a Wii U is. So I thought I'd write a simple review in an attempt to clear up some of the confusion caused by Nintendo's lousy marketing.

Published 12 months ago by R. J. Lister

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment
If MarioKart 8 were available on other consoles, I wouldn't own this. Which is a shame because I have owned every Nintendo back to the original NES.

I don't see the point of the enormous GamePad. After the amazing innovation of the Wii, it's like they took 10 steps backwards. I could write negative reviews about the terrible GamePad all day.

Also I'm...
Published 7 months ago by Sara J.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the uncertain, 16 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB New Super Mario Bros and New Super Luigi Bros Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U) (Console)

Wii U is not the same as a Wii. It is not a peripheral for the original Wii. It is a whole new system, with high-definition (i.e. 1080p) graphics and more powerful hardware. The Wii U is backwards compatible with the software and peripherals for the original Wii.

Wii U is part of the "eighth generation" of games consoles, along with Sony Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One. Wii U is not quite as powerful as those other consoles, and it doesn't enjoy some of the franchises that they do (e.g. Grand Theft Auto). However, as it has done throughout previous generations, Nintendo relies upon a core set of games series: Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Pikmin, Mario Kart, Metroid etc.

Mario in particular has been well served on the Wii U already, with New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U and the critically acclaimed Super Mario 3D World. Zelda fans have a hi-def remake of Wind Waker (originally on the GameCube). Pikmin 3 is excellent. New incarnations of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are due in 2014. This is not to say that third-party franchises have passed the Wii U by entirely - there is an enhanced version of Batman Arkham City, for example, as well as the latest instalments of the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed series. And then there is Rayman Legends, a modern platforming classic.

What sets Wii U apart from other consoles (including the original Wii) is its Gamepad. This is no ordinary controller. It is a large (and comfortable) controller-plus-tablet with a 6-inch touchscreen. Different games take advantage of this in different ways. For example, in Assassin's Creed the screen can be used as a map, or to show the HUD, leaving the TV screen just for the action. In New Super Mario Bros., one can leave notes for other players who may also be struggling on a particular level. These notes can be typed using the on-screen keyboard, or hand-written using the stylus. It's a very natural and friendly way of keeping players connected.

The Gamepad has other advantages. It can be paired with your TV and used as a remote control. It can also be used in a kind of "dual mode", whereby someone can watch, say, Netflix on the TV whilst you play a game purely through the Gamepad. Just the act of pairing the Gamepad with the console is a joy to behold: faint music emanates from the controller, and then the melody is completed as the rest of the music suddenly swells from the TV.

The main disadvantage of Wii U is its lack of sales, because this means the game library is fairly small. Yet analysts predict lifetime sales similar to the GameCube (about 25 million), which was one of the great consoles of its generation. For me, it's a matter of quality over quantity. I bought my Wii U after playing Super Mario 3D World in a store. It really is worth the cost of the console - which, I might add, is considerably lower than Playstation 4 (£349) or Xbox One (£429).

A few final words on who should buy the Wii U. I would say anyone and everyone who enjoys video games. There's a tendency - a kind of elitism - that seems to be emerging from a so-called "hardcore" gaming crowd who regard Nintendo products as merely for kids, casual gamers, or families. It is true that the Wii U, and its associated "Miiverse", is more family-friendly than the aggressively competitive online realms of Playstation and Xbox. But for me (and I have been gaming since the Commodore Amiga, and owned most systems since, including the PS3) this is a breath of fresh air. Besides, the ostensibly cute Mario games present a far greater challenge than something like Modern Warfare 3, which I skated through in under five hours.

So don't wait for the next stock intake of the "real" next gen - it's right here, right now.

Postscript: I also posted this review under the standard Wii U, so I'll say a few words about the Mario pack. The Mario and Luigi games are not digital downloads - both come on a single disc, in a case, along with two Nintendo Club cards (250 stars each). The games are, as you'd expect, fantastically rich, inventive, and exquisitely designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii U is something special, 10 Dec 2013
I bought Wii U last month and I am satisfied about it
I bought it for 219.99 pounds when this bundle was just on the markets
Now I see it's a bit more expensive but it is ok again.

What does the box contains?
-New GamePad
-New Super mario bros U and New luigi U
-Game Console 32GB
-Console adaptop
-Touch screen controller adaptor
-Stand for the GamePad
-Stand with charging area for the GamePad (like the 3ds stand-charger)
-HDMI Cable
-Sensor bar

Nintedo did not put some controllers in the box, because you can use your Wii controllers normally on it.

Something great about Wii U is that you can use Wii's game on it.

Also if someones needs the TV to most game you can just change it and play with just looking to the GamePad.

Another great point for it is that you can change Volume-Input-Channel from your GamePad

If you like Super Mario, this is something you should buy

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the Wii you will love this!, 18 Nov 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Initial set up took about an hour but as I read the reviews before it wasn't much of a surprise. Set up is a breeze. Mario's bros is just what I remember as a child and the visuals are great! The use of the gamepad is fantastic as one person can watch normal tv and the other can carry on playing on the gamepad. I thought my 3 year old daughter would be old enough to play but she is still too young to work out how to use gamepad but no big deal as more fun for me! You also get 24hrs free wii u sports which is wii's equivalent of wii sports but with online play and visually better, you will need a wiimotte to play this(not included) as I saved money buying from amazon I decided to buy a wiimote. I'm just confused why wii u isn't selling and getting such a bad rep. Great games are coming out in a few months so just buy it! Like I said before if you liked the wii this is better as does all the same stuff but now in HD and added extras are worth it. Not a bad price either compared to its rivals. Hope this helps you decide!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 7 Sep 2014
I bought this for my little sister as a birthday present & she loves it. I am also a big fan of the Mario games & play it sometimes.

Do not buy this from the store as you will be wasting your money & time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic console!, 28 Nov 2013
Bought this as i wanted to join in on the new console buzz but did not want to buy a One or Ps4 till they have a decent library of games( probably buy a Xbone when the time is right).

Wii U is a lovely looking console and incredibly easy to set up. The second screen is a nice touch but I will probably use the pro controller as it is very similar to the Xbox controller.
Bought Zombie U , Zelda and looking forward to 3D world arriving soon....

Love the Miiverse integration into games where you beat levels ( or get beaten by levels ) on Mario Bros and can leave comments. Comments also pop up from other players.

Playing Mario in HD pleased this aging gamer!

Look forward to a long gaming relationship with my new console!

5.0 out of 5 stars my kids love it, 4 Jun 2014
my kids love to play this wii. i also have the wii and both are great. The advantage of this one is that you don't need to turn the tv on to play the games. You can use the screen pad that comes with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's so good for the games and you can watch Netflix and ..., 12 Nov 2014
Bought for my son for his 9th birthday, it's so good for the games and you can watch Netflix and you tube, he was over the moon with it even I thought it was so much better than I imagined.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Wii U, 27 Oct 2014
I'm going to focus entirely on the Wii U rather than compare to others, I'm sure the PS4 and Xbox One are also really great machines. In short, I absolutely love this console and Nintendo have done a great job updating and improving on the Wii in pretty much every way.

Set-up
Simple to unbox and set-up, I'm no tech-crazy person but from unboxing to set-up to running the update you have to install upon setting up the internet connection. It was all done in less than an hour which I think was pretty fast. Added note: I have a TV from a defunct company and when I lost my remote some time ago, it took 3 universal remotes to get one that actually worked with it, the Nintendo's in-build tv remote matched to the thing in seconds and works great. Was very impressed and use my gamepad as my primary remote controller now!

Presentation
The interface is very clean and bright, everything I've ever needed to change (wireless set-up, controller settings) are really easy to find and change. The community aspect of seeing loads of people commenting on the games they are playing at the menu screen is a nice touch.

The gamepad
While I'll miss some aspects of the wii remote, the gamepad adds a whole new aspect which I really like. Being able to pull away from the TV and still play gaming is great and the screen quality and resolution on the screen are very good. Having a form of HD gaming in the palm of your hands feels like a step forward.

Virtual Console
Although slow to updating (Nintendo certainly take their time getting games out), having SNES and NES games from my childhood able to download is great. This is one aspect that the gamepad really shows it's strength, playing Super Metroid and Super Mario World on the gamepad is hugely enjoyable and they look fantastic on it. It's been my favourite gaming experience this year, rediscovering these games on the gamepad.

Graphics
I'm really not a graphics-obsessed type of gamer, so this is the least important part for me, gameplay takes precedence, but I still think the wii u looks great and importantly games flow smoothly on it. I've not witnessed any lag or freezing. Also, I got the bundle with Mario wii u and Luigi U and HD Mario looks absolutely gorgeous.

Games
So far, alongside the excellent NES, GBA and SNES, back catalogues, the Wii U is growing an impressive set of games. The Mario games have been great so far, an excellent Donkey Kong and Wind Waker remake and excellent original games like Bayonetta 2 and the Wonderful 101. There is a lot already to enjoy. It is also backwards compatible with the wii, which has lead to me discovering a huge amount of hidden gems that that console had (seriously there are a lot!)

Overall
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's what is great about the gaming market currently you have choice (look back at the ET Atari game to see what happens when there isn't competition in the market!), but the Wii U is everything I want as a console and a gamer - easy to use, great/simple presentation, colourful and more importantly fun games alongside others that provide awesome challenge, and that little bit of family friendly Nintendo magic that is irreplaceable. I'd recommend to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 25 Nov 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Didn't notice before buying, but the wii-pad is also a universal remote for hifi appliances, with easy configuration for every tv imaginable, I really like this feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Wii U Bundle, 17 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been keeping an eye on the price of the Wii U for a while now and the value of this bundle meant it was finally time for me to jump in. Nothing beats getting a bit of that Nintendo magic at Christmas time and so far this console has been delivering in spades. I usually play on Xbox 360 with a few occasional stints on the original Wii for lighter hearted gaming with friends but have been waiting a long time for Nintendo to finally come up with a console that can output in HD. Although not as powerful as the PS4 and XB1 the Wii U is a very large upgrade over the Wii and the inclusion of the gamepad has come in more useful than I thought it would. I often find myself reaching for the gamepad instead of my smartphone now as it comes with a really good web browser and has a nice quality screen. I was surprised at how small and quiet the console is and it feels very solidly built whilst staying cool after it has been on for a while.

The included games are a blast to play and I have been enjoying playing Mario bros with my girlfriend who even managed to make it through to the end of the game this time! We have played the other Mario brothers games in multiplayer mode before but as the games get harder (anything passed world 1) her frustrations grow, at which point she stops playing and watches me play to the end, but not this time. There is a great feature where the second player can instead use the gamepad screen to help any other players by stunning enemies and placing platforms anywhere using the gamepad touchscreen. This was a great way to play and made the whole game so much more enjoyable for both of us. (I would also strongly recommend Rayman Legends for a similar Co-op experience and another great platforming game)

All things considered I am very pleased with my Wii u purchase and am now looking forward to playing Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World on Christmas day.