Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 3 November 2013
Loved this book from start to finish. Ellie and Sam are great characters and I loved the way their friendship blossomed through their weight loss journey and Ellie realised what Drake was a waste of time. The best part for me was Ellie getting the present from Sam. Would recommend to all to read it.
on 17 December 2013
Ellie wants to change her life and bag the man of her dreams. A successful car sale salesperson, she clearly knows her trade, but a long run of being overshadowed by her much slimmer and attractive colleagues and an eventual push from her best friend, Sam, leads to Ellie's decision to quit the cake and lose some weight before the annual Christmas party. But, as her mission to fit into her perfect dress comes to a head, will her new figure really bring her the happiness she's desired for so long, and will her knight in shining armour, Drake, even notice her?

This isn't the usual genre of book I'd go for, but it really did bring a smile to my face. There are genuine laugh out loud moments - Ellie's journey to a slimmer figure obviously doesn't go too smoothly. From her awkward first experience of a gym, to her shameful outburst at the local 'fat-club' meeting, there's something that everyone that has ever tried to lose a few pounds can relate to.

The characters in the story are very likeable and are introduced in such a way that creates a feeling of familiarity from the very beginning. Ellie's loveable personality and slightly Miranda-esque awkwardness leaves you rooting for her to do well, and as her friendship with Sam develops, you can't help but hope that she opens her eyes and sees the obvious signs in front of her.

Although a fun and festive book, there's a deeper link to vanity and what it means to be attractive, and it's actually quite saddening to see that a lovely, funny girl like Ellie feels that she has to lose her weight in order to be attractive, when in fact, without giving too much away, there are people out there that love her for who she is.

I read this kooky, feel good book in one sitting as I honestly couldn't put it down. The author creates a world that's so easy to slip into and forget everything around you, and before you know it you're on the last chapter, it's 3am in the morning and you really should have gone to sleep hours ago. A brilliant festive cracker that's easy to read and can be enjoyed by anyone. Loved it!
on 8 December 2013
Ellie is good at her job as a car salesperson but doesn't get the recognition she deserves and gets overlooked by her bosses for her slimmer, more glamorous colleague. But after an embarrassing mishap at work she decides it's time to take action and lose a bit of weight, especially with the company Christmas party coming up where she hopes her boss Drake will take notice of her, and she's seen the perfect dress for the occasion but it's only available in a smaller size.

But with her regularly snacking on chocolate since the death of her dad and breakup with boyfriend Luke, and going to her mum's every night for home-cooked meals it's not going to be an easy task. But when her friend at work Sam steps in to say that he'll join her in her diet and exercise plan, maybe it will be achievable after all...

I'm sure most of us could relate to Ellie in that we know that we need to lose weight but at the same time we enjoy our food and drink too much and maybe the exercise regime not so much. Although I really liked Ellie I have to confess that my favourite character was Sam who liked her for who she was and not what she looked like, if only we all had someone like Sam in our lives...

This was such a fun festive read that I literally could not put down so read in one sitting curled up in front of the fire. It was full of moments where you couldn't help but laugh at Ellie's misfortunes but wouldn't have done if it happened to you, at other times you'd feel angry on her behalf at the way that others were treating her, and cheer her on when she finally stood up for herself.

I've not read any books by Ruth Saberton before, although I do also have a copy of Rearranged, but I'll definitely be adding her other books to my TBR pile to read when I get the chance.
on 14 October 2013
Weight Till Christmas

As with all Ruth's books this one had me laughing right from the start. Ruth really brings her characters to life in such a way that feel that you really know them.

This incrediably sweet book keeps you hooked from begining to end in a fairytale that brings about the Magic of Christmas to your door early as you follow the ups and downs of not so confident girl who wants to be able to fit into that spaecial dress for the Christmas Party in order to make the man of her dreams notice her.

This is a brilliant book for all us girls who have been in that position never feeling that we are quite enough just as we, Ellie's slightly awkward and shyness in matters of the heart is completely different from the tactful sales person she is, so like many of us who wear two persona's. Inside Ellie is a beautiful woman just waiting to be swept off her feet but her very own Prince Charming.

I loved this book, it's as warm and real as all of her others, sharing that same quirky sense of humout that keeps me laughing all the way through each of her books. A festive novel that will make you all fuzzy inside during the cold winter nights in front of the fire. So cuddle up with your favourite pink wine or a nice mug of hot chocolate and join Ellie in her magical quest for true love.
on 20 October 2013
I've given this book a rating of four stars because the moment I turned onto page 2 , I laughed out loud at the characters antics.
I liked Sam and Ellie a lot and they made a good team as friends. I knew they were going to end up more than friends , and was pleased that they did. I wanted it to happen sooner , I must admit that , I felt it was prolonged a little.
The nemesis that was Drake reminded me a little of a young Hugh Grant / Daniel Carver type character and I loved the comeuppance that he got at the end of the novella!
The novella has been funny , though I would have loved it to be a bit more Christmassy in line with the book title!

I truly liked Ellie , who seemed a bit of a mouse at first but definitely turned into a tiger when outraged by Drake and his ins entice co-workers! Her put down line has to be one of the best that I've heard in a long time , and Ruth Saberton should be proud of that!

In all an enjoyable read , that had me laughing , commiseration with the main characters and rooting for a happy ending!

I received this book in return for a review !
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 October 2013
I really enjoyed this story about Ellie and Sam, who are both fighting to loose some weight, with their ups and downs, twists and turns and this specific for Ruth only chirpy humour.
What I liked so much about Ellie and Sam is the fact that they are real, they are very likeable. There are many Ellies and Sams among us, moi as the best example.

At the beginning I wanted to shake Ellie sometimes and tell her stop being such a doormat girl but I guess this is the problem with all people who think they are too fat, too ugly, too... the lack of self - esteem. And she was so naive but I think we are all naive sometimes when it is about love.

What is so real also is that we all met Kevins, Lous on our path and I really enjoyed the fact that I KNEW what our main characters are feeling and what they are in fact thinking.
This is a cute, warm love story with a lot of funny moments, brilliantly described characters and engaging plot.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.
on 1 November 2013
I really enjoyed this lovely story. I liked it cause it's linked with Christmas but can be read in any season as well. Characters Ellie an Sam are great. They are so real and everyone has Ellie and Sam in their lives.Ellie is trying to lose weight so she can wear perfect dress for Christmas party. Sam is helping her to reach her goal. And along the way...

The story made me laugh. It's a real page turner. And in the end I wanted more. That's the problem with me and novellas. I like them cause they are short, but when they are great like this one I want more.

The line from the story that I really really love is:
"My weight is a bit like the state of my bank account; if I don't check the balance I can't get upset."

This is one funny and cute story with great characters.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.
on 11 October 2013
Get yourself a mince pie and a mulled wine and cosy up in front of the fire with this sweet little book. It's a Christmas fairy tale, warm, funny and inviting. This is a book you can disappear into for a few hours of Christmassy escapism, It's a book for all of us girls who are counting the pounds until the Christmas party. A cute little love story, saved from being too sickly sweet by Ruth Sabertons brilliantly comic descriptions of a slightly awkward, not overly confidant girl, whose love of mince pies and gingerbread lattes look sure to defeat her desire to fit into the dress of her dreams..... and like all good Fairy tales, there is of course a happy ending.
Loved this book, as warm and funny as her others. If you haven't read any of Ruth Sabertons novels yet I strongly recommend you give them a try.
on 19 October 2013
Yet another fantastic book from Ruth Saberton. I guess as a massive fan I'm a little bias but I loved this book. So good I finished it in just over two days, it would have been less if I wasn't at work as it was almost impossible to put down.

I love how real the characters seemed and how I felt I was there through the whole journey from "Ellie Phant" to a confident, beautiful woman. I had my heart broken and fixed again while reading this book, which includes some hilarious metaphors. I think the moral of this story is sometimes you can be so focused on something, you can't see that happiness is staring you in the face.

Another victory for the main character and for the author. If this is printed I shall be buying a few copies as Christmas presents :D
on 15 January 2014
First book I read by this author.

Excellent really funny book. Some great moments during the book that had me chuckling out loud throughout.

Looking forward to reading more from this author.