5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Graphics, 15 May 2014
C. N. Daly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 1120Mhz 2048MB GDDR 5 PCI Express Graphics Card (Personal Computers)
This is a really great mid-range card. After a bit of time setting up drivers I was good to go. I spent a few hours playing SimCity, Bioshock Infinite, Doom 3 and Dead Space all at top settings in 1080p and locked to 60fps.

As someone coming from a PS3, the difference is amazing - everything is so smooth, crisp and detailed. I have never had much time for PC snobbery before, but after one evening playing with this card I will never look back.

Asus have a great reputation, and the card is clearly very well-made and runs very quietly. In fact, I've noticed no change in the volume of my system while idling or playing games. The packaging was robust and stylish. It's also quite attractive - it's almost a shame to hide it away in a pc case.

The card really shines in terms of value too. It has a cost/performance ratio that is tough to beat, and provides a level of power slightly above a PS4 for about half the price.

If I have one criticism it is that the included drivers are out of date. Do not install them - just go directly to the AMD website and download the latest available drivers. That said, you cannot fault AMD for improving upon the drivers that were originally released with the device, and I will not deduct a star.

Next gen gaming at e200/159. That is very impressive indeed.

EDIT 22/07/2014:
Now that I have had the card for a few months I thought I might add in some extra information about my experience with it.

I was able to run both Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 on Medium-High settings at a locked 60fps, and both looked amazing - nearly identical to the top settings. Crysis 3 on the highest settings (SMAA) seems to waver around 30fps with Vsync disengaged, so if you are not concerned with hitting 60fps it is totally plausible to experience this game at the highest possible settings. To be honest, I was not expecting the card to be this powerful and it has really blown me away.

The following games also ran at 1080p and 60fps on the highest possible settings:
Assassins Creed Revelations
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City (DX9)
Portal 2
Skryim (with major mods and enhancements to textures, character models and lighting, but no ENB)
Team Fortress 2

While some of these may seem like older games, I just want to point out how absolutely incredible they look compared to their console counterparts. Even games that are 5 years old look jaw-dropping at high resolution and full detail settings. Arkham Asylum looks almost as impressive as the E3 footage of the upcoming Arkham Knight, and the same can be said for Assassins Creed Revelations.

Again, as someone coming from a PS3 this is a true next gen experience and can handle the system-killing Crysis 3 like a dream on realistic settings. It's also a great way to do justice to a collection of older games, and you can save yourself a fortune by watching out for online sales. Most of the above mentioned games I picked up for 5-10 euros on Steam. They play like a dream at 60fps and look like they belong on a PS4 or X1.

The card is still whisper quiet and very stable. I have it coupled with a 3770k and 16GB of RAM to achieve the above results, and have yet to overclock either the GPU or CPU.

It really is a fantastic investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant at everything, perfect for medium budget, 5 May 2014
as soon as i put it in it powered through every game no problem. can max bf4 with 50-60 fps. great for overclocking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cost/Performance Ratio, 4 May 2014
Bought this card in feburary and havent looked back it was a massive improvement on my old nvidia gt 640 with higher quality and fps. Also this card is compatible Mantle, with my experience increases fps by roughly 10 fps (on Battlefield 4 ultra settings). All in all a great card, Im planning to buy another one and use crossfire.

P.S Ignore the user 'Killjoy' s review, the idiot didn't take the protective plastic off the PCIe pins XD

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 13 April 2014
At the time I bought it, it was the highest value card per average fps for the majority of games. As a high performance card it delivers 60+ FPS with the majority of games on complete max settings and even gets a good 30-40 on some of the more demanding games such as ARMA3. With support of the Mantle drivers you will see even better performance.

I would highly recommend this card as it delivers top quality performance with a very nice price tag

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Card, 2 April 2014
For the price point in an AMD system you can't go wrong. Beastly performance for under €250 with shipping that is just amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great next gen card!, 8 July 2014
darren (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can max all my games out no problem, you might find a little bottleneck with dual core CPU's but if you have quad & more then this card will serve you well for a few years to come, i don't recommend you pop AA on if you have a crappy CPU though... it can run games fine with AA but only if you have a decent CPU paired with it :]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 July 2014
This will play all "next-gen" games on ultra or high. Great GPU

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, 10 Jun 2014
After waiting for weeks for a Graphics Card that when it arrived would not work and had to return it (not this one) reordered this one which was much cheaper than the returned one, and it was a case of plug and play very happy with it, as are all the gamers who use the PC .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card installed no problem, 10 Mar 2014
This was a great purchase value for money and the PC is now producing better graphics than the PS4 or XBONE.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 30 Jan 2014
Battlefield 3 made my old card (a 6770) have a meltdown; literally, it was only 2 years old. poor thing. So I decided to get this as a replacement. (On a side note the meltdown gave me a bluescreen atikmpag.sys error which if you google it has people all over the place. In my case it was pretty obvious the card was at fault, especially with visual clues.)

Anyway this has good write ups, only got it today so first impressions:

Its longer than my old card, barely fit in the case, so check measurements before ordering.

Plugged in (2 6 pin pci e cables) and installed in no time - but had to use overscaling to get full screen on my 23" HD monitor. Never had that before and could have been scratching my head about it for a while if I hadn't chanced on this option.

I bought this higher spec 270x as it claims to have special cooling etc and I had a suspicion overheating is what caused my old card to commit suicide. Well. It idles at around 34 degrees, not too bad (the monitoring software you get with it is very handy, it records all figures over time so you can compare), but after just 20 mins on Sleeping Dogs or BF3 it went up to 87 degrees, which is unacceptable, and now I realize why the old card, which didn't even have special cooling what nots, eventually kicked the bucket. Pity I did have that tool before.

On the plus side, this heat is due mainly to my case being overstuffed and having too little ventilation and fans, which I will have to sort, playing with the side off the case dropped the temp to a far better 70 degrees, so I need a new case it seems. One with a side fan and bottom fan, as this card blows all the hot air down, which has nowhere to go.

Performance wise, I cant measure fps, but it plays BF3 on ultra settings at full HD and I don't notice any lag, it looks pretty good, but to be honest not that much different from my old 6770 which ran it on high, albeit a bit slow at times. This is coupled with a I5 2500k and 8 GB ram for reference.

Ill come back to edit this review after a few weeks, but overall, I'm happy with it, apart from the temperatures (with the side door OFF) at 70 degrees is crap for a card that sells itself on its cooling. It is pretty quiet however.