Format: DVDChange

on 8 August 2014
This story 'was lost but is now found', as the prodigal son's father would say.

I've just finished watching `The Enemy of the World' and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I was delighted in October 2013 when the BBC announced that two missing stories of Patrick Troughton's era had been found. These included 'The Enemy of the World' and 'The Web of Fear'. I'm extremely pleased these episodes have been found as it's great to have them back.

'The Enemy of the World' was broadcast in 1967-68 during the fifth season of `Doctor Who' with Patrick Troughton. Before these missing episodes were found, the only episode of this story to have survived was Episode 3 on the 'Lost in Time' DVD.

This is of course Barry Letts' first association with 'Doctor Who' and the first story he directed. I'm sure Barry Letts would be delighted to hear that this story has been found and is now complete. Barry would go on to become the producer of 'Doctor Who' in the early 70s with Jon Pertwee.

I bought the audio soundtrack on CD to listen to in 2011. I found listening to the story hard-going despite the linking narration by Frazer Hines. But after watching `The Enemy of the World' I thoroughly enjoyed it as it's well-directed by Barry Letts and well-written by David Whittaker.

What makes `The Enemy of the World' so special is that it features Patrick Troughton not only as the Doctor, but the villain Salamander. This is a doppelganger story where Patrick gets to play two parts. The story also features the Doctor with his companions Jamie and Victoria.

Its great this story and 'The Web of Fear' is one of Deborah Watling's stories was lost but now found. I felt sorry for Debbie/Victoria as most of her stories were missing. But now we have more to enjoy with Victoria and she stands out pretty well for me as well as Frazer Hines as Jamie.

The story has the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arriving on a futuristic Earth in Australia. After being attacked by would-be assassins, the Doctor and friends are rescued by Astrid Ferrier. She tells them that the Doctor resembles a cruel man called Salamander and asks the Doctor to impersonate him.

When I first 'The Enemy of the World', I was amazed by the first three minutes r. The story looks brand-new and I couldn't believe it had been missing all these years. I told lovely Debbie Watling at a convention in Weston-super-Mare how much I enjoyed the first three minutes of this story.

This story has the feel of a James Bond-movie adventure. I really love the chase sequence with the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria. There's a lot of political intrigue and suspense relating to Salamander. I'm very pleased it stands up well with cliff-hangers; action; plot; characters and everything.

Patrick Troughton is the star, playing the Doctor and Salamander. I like how Patrick shifts from the Doctor and Salamander. As a viewer, it's pretty disturbing to find the villain looking like your hero and doing nasty and horrible things like poisoning Fedorin; killing people or erupting volcanoes.

Patrick must have really enjoyed playing the two different characters. I found it funny with the Doctor in his underpants ready for a swim. I like the Doctor's line in Episode 3, "Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things and other people come along and break them."

Deborah Watling is very good as Victoria. She doesn't scream so much and comes across as pretty strong. I like it when both Victoria and Jamie in Episode 5 defy Salamander before realising it's actually the Doctor. There's a new freshness to Victoria when I watched her in this story.

Frazer Hines is equally good as Jamie. I like how resourceful he is, especially when he seemingly saves Salamander's life and gets to become one of his guards. I like how he bluffs his identity when mentioning Victoria as his girlfriend, which I think is connected to Jamie's secret love for Victoria.

The guest cast is exceptionally good. There's Bill Kerr as Giles Kent, seemingly opposed to Salamander; Mary Peach as Astrid Ferrier who rescues the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria; Colin Douglas as Donald Bruce, a bullish security guard; Milton Johns as Benik and Carmen Munroe as Fairah.*

The story ends on a cliff-hanger. The Doctor and Salamander finally meet in the TARDIS. Salamander's about to kill the Doctor before the TARDIS sets off into time and space. Salamander is sucked out into the time vortex with the Doctor, Victoria and Jamie holding on for dear life.

I really have enjoyed `The Enemy of the World'. It's fantastic this story is now complete and can be added to the collection of 'Doctor Who' DVDs. It's really worth watching and amazing to believe that this story was once lost for many years! If you like action adventure, you're going to love this one.

There aren't any DVD special features apart from a sleeve booklet with production notes. I was annoyed this DVD didn't have a making-of documentary, as I would have been happy to wait before the story came out on DVD. Maybe they'll do a special edition release someday.

There's a trailer for the next story with the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria called 'The Web of Fear'.

* Thanks to P. J. Ashwell for the additional information about Carmen Munroe.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2014
This story has often been downgraded and perceived as being the odd one out from Season 5 in that it does not feature a base/ship under siege from monsters. To be fair that's mostly been said by writers of guidebooks, most of whom have only heard the soundtrack and never even seen this story until it was discovered. It is superb! It moves at a decent pace, most of the effects stand up but the best thing about this story is the villain of the story, played by Patrick Troughton himself. His performance is breathtaking and it is when you see him in this that you realise why he never got typecast in his long acting career because he can play any part. In this story he plays both parts superbly and at no point when you see him as Salamader do you ever think think it is the Second Doctor even when the Second Doctor is pretending to be Salamander. Confused? You won't be if you buy this. It's an absolute gem and far, far better than anyone could have expected.
on 17 March 2015
Recently discovered Patrick Troughton lost series, along with web of fear is not a typical Dr Who story, although it involves thawting the standard power crazed meglomaniac, this one has a twist, yep the villian looks like the Doctor, this means Patrick has to act his socks off. Playing two roles is difficult enough but making them believable is a neat trick, fortunatley Patrick pulls it off quite well, some things to note is the actress Carmen who plays the dictators cook is a good role for her, she went on to play the wife in Desmonds sitcom. never having seen this one the first time round it is marvelous to see the cast as if it were new, the print and sound have been well preserved plus some actors that went on to other things are in this.
A must for Whovians everywhere
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2014
The Enemy of the World was one of two Doctor Who serials recently found after years of believed missing (along with The Web of Fear which ironically is the serial following this one) allowing viewers to see more of one of the best Doctors in Patrick Troughton.

What makes The Enemy of the World so special is it features Patrick Troughton in a duel role as The Doctor and the serial's central villain Salamander who looks to take over Earth through the use of natural disasters. Troughton does a great job performing both roles and even though the moment when the two characters come face to face is very brief it's really a great moment. If there's one flaw in the serial it's the absence of The Doctor from Episdoe 2 and the absence of his companions from Episode 4, but all in all the serial stands as one of the best of the second Doctor's run.
on 30 September 2014
Along with The Web Of Fear this is every Doctor Who / TV Sci-Fi fans dreams come true!

Patrick Troughton gives quite possibly the best acting performance of his career as the Doctor AND his evil doppleganger Salamander, a tyrant bent on world domination.

Worth it for the price, just don't expect any new documentary or added extras as this is a bare bones release but worth it for a classic slice of 1960's British TV Sci-Fi.

Highly Recommended.
on 12 October 2013
I am over the moon and far away right now..... I drove home on Friday morning from Swindon to Nottingham on the first cold and windy night after summers end my mind set on another start to a long winter about to begin! Listening to BBC Radio 2 it's about 06:00 and i'm feeling sorry for myself 'cause I'm coming down with some sort of virus, the news bellows out and I turn the radio down a little! Then I hear 'Doctor Who' 'missing episodes' '11 recovered' '9 missing for 45 years'. Ears pricked up along with the sound!
Listen, I'm 50 years old.... I work on the Railway, mostly outside on construction at night! Nothing really surprises me anymore!
OH MY WORD I was so excited I had to pull into the services. My mind began to race I had to get off the M5 fast and take in what I was hearing! I pulled myself together with a large cup of sweet tea, a bagel ( with Philadelphia ) and some porridge oats! At this point I was still taking it in! 'The Web of Fear' FOUND!!!! 'The Enemy of the World' FOUND!!!!! One discovery is something but two? Who is this 'Philip Morris' ? who does he think he is turning my life on it's head with new found hope? 97 to go kid!!!!
I got home at 08:50 and by 09:00 I was watching 'The Enemy of the World' then, The Web of Fear! Guy's I am in 7th heaven! The cool thing is; I work in tunnels on the railway and it was amazing watching 'Web of Fear' taking place in the London Underground! The atmosphere and the claustrophobic setting was perfect and far better than I imagined it was going to be! The acting in both stories was above average and 'Web' brilliant in Black and White.
I woke up on Saturday morning after no sleep the previous day 'cause of night working feeling pretty good I am now putting these stories on my wish list and as soon as they are released in November, Bang!!! They will be red hot on my DVD player too!
No sign of the virus I seemed to be sickening up for, no doubt cured by a certain Doctor perhaps?
Those 97 are out there! They are out there!
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2014
The rescontructed versions of this never gave me any desire to see more of this Patrick Troughton adventure. I am not a fan of the historical adventures except the William Hartnell era and in the new series. But what a revelation this superb find is!! I really got into it with the complete version. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this adventure! As a kid I never got to see this one sadly. I remember well many of the other Troughton stories even 'Fury from the Deep'. How we loved pretending to be Yetis too in the school playground!! Shouts of Jamie and Zoe were regularly to be heard at play breaks... So getting the great treat to see this complete is truely wonderful! I thoroughly recommend it!!
on 30 July 2014
Another lost classic rediscovered in 2013 (along with Web of Fear).
This story might seem a little drier than regular Doctor Who of the period as it doesn't rely on monsters at all but presents a tale of a fascist future.
Troughton gives a masterclass in acting playing both the Doctor and the villainous Salamander, plus in turns both characters attempting to portray the other- though there was far more of this than I expected.
Highlights- the Doctor gleefully running on the beach in part one and the surprisingly good (for the time) special effects at the end.
SPOILERPHOBES- if you've never seen this story don't watch the trailer first.
on 30 December 2013
Naturally this is a review that I never expected to be writing but I'm very delighted to get the chance. The biggest shame about this story's rediscovery is that its director Barry Letts died 5 years too early to see that his memory cheated and it's much better than he remembered.
Who does a spy thriller as the Doctor's close resemblance to a world leader/dictator Salamander enables the group against him to use the Doctor to get the goods on him. The Dr is sent to impersonate him with Jamie and Victoria infiltrating Salamander's organisation at much lower levels.
Salamander is very like a Bond villain what with his plans to rule the world and the story is not unlike the old ITC adventures series such as The Saint and The Champions.
At its best Letts and his team make it look more expensive than it really was, note the clever blending of helicopter stock footage in ep 1. Good sets and generally high production values, especially noteworthy is the Gerry Anderson style transport tube that takes Salamander into an underground bunker (where the inhabitants are dressed in 60's fab gear).
The minor downside is some unsuccessful back projection.
It's well cast with a number of familiar faces. Who rep actors Christopher Burgess and Milton Johns, (Johns is wonderful as the psychotic Benik)plus Colin Howard (see again in Horror of Fang Rock)& George Pravda of Deadly Assassin.
familiar to Tony Hancock fans is Hancock's intellectually challenged friend from his radio days Bill Kerr. Here Kerr is great playing a less charicatured character.
Mary Peach could have been an Avengers girl if her peformance as Astrid is anything to go by.
One of those great performances that never seems to get noticed is Carmen Munro as Fariah who puts more into the character than was in the script.
Jamie and Victoria get a good slice of the action too watch Frazer Hines pouring contempt in his taunt to Benik "I bet you were a nasty wee boy". Deborah Watling considerably lifts a padding scene as she discusses menus in a kitchen.
The man of the match is of course Patrick Troughton and he doesn't dissappoint. here he doesn't get to do the dark Doctor probably to help distinguish him from Salamander but instead his Doctor is the clear moral voice, vey much against murdering Salamander even if he is as bad as people say. I have a feeling if this story were to be done now there would be one of those frequent "looking at you is like looking in a mirror Doctor" lines.
For Salamander Trougthon does a light Mexican accent. yes perhaps it's not the best accent you ever heard but what makes it such a good choice is that he can still act with it and makes Salamander loathesome. Also it pays dividends in a marvellous scene where he plays the Doctor practicing Salamander's accent. Troughton sells us on the idea that the Doctor could master the accent so quickly.
The script by the Police Box Show's faithfull 60's retainer David Whittaker (*1) is a good one. It only drags a little in episode 3 which has padding and on the whole is full of good characters, humour and action.

The picture restoration is some of the best I've seen.

Sadly it's a vanilla release, an attempt to mount a commentary was abandoned. the only extra treat is a nicely done trailer for Web of Fear.

I join with others in hoping there will be no special edition any time soon but for all that I recommend this for everyone.

(*1) whittaker did plan to return to Who novelisations completing a few pages of Power of the Daleks and peroducing a revised storyline for Enemy which would have ened with Salamander being left to the mercy of the people.
His untimely death prevented the completion of either one.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2015
In October 2013 this wonderful story and "The Web of Fear" were discovered in Nigeria and what a great find this was. "The Enemy of the World" is the most different of the Patrick Troughton stories, because it features no sci fi elements or monsters and it's a sort of story which you could imagine John Pertwee being in it. The story was very well directed by the late great Barry Letts, who a few years later would become the producer in the John Pertwee era. Patrick Troughton is absolutely brilliant in this, which he is so good as the villain Salamander and even though he looks almost the same as the Doctor, (except for the uni brow and the hair style) he acts completely different and the accent is terrific. The only thing I found slightly disappointing was that the Doctor and Salamander only see each other very briefly, but it does look really good seeing their faces together and the story could have possibly been 4 -5 episodes long. The acting performances from Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling are very good and the guest performances from Bill Kerr and Mary Peach are also great. When this story and "The Web of Fear" were found, I got the impression that more people raved about "The Web of Fear" more. But in my opinion I do prefer this story slightly more, even though I really like "TheWeb of Fear". However in the recent "Dr Who" poll, "The Enemy of the World" did well which it was placed number 56 out of 241 and a few years before in the 2009 poll, the story was placed at a disappointing 139, which back then only the footage of episode 3 existed. Overall this is a great story to watch and this in my top favourite 5 Patrick Troughton story along with "The Power of the Daleks and "The War Games". Finally it would be fantastic to see more missing "Dr Who" stories and my favourite William Hartnell story I would love to see is "Marco Polo" and my favourite Troughton story has got to be "The Power of the Daleks".