4.0 out of 5 stars Good new Addition
Published 10 months ago by Phil the Explorer

I got this album as a Christmas-present from American friends, who know I love the Asterix series. As a lifelong Asterix fan, I was wondering how the English version would hold up, compared to the Dutch translations I'm used to.

Published 7 months ago by D. C. Stolk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good new Addition, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
I have loved Asterix since being small! So I was happy to hear of a new book, the illustrations are excellent keeping in line with Uderzo's original illustrations. The story is also great it feels like the Picts (Scots) deserved a book as Asterix and his friend Obelix have travelled all over the globe and met many different groups of people. It makes sense that Obelix would love tossing the caber and it also has a appearance of Nessie! :) Following on from the more recent Asterix books such as Asterix and the Actress and Asterix and the Falling sky this is more a return to form. It makes a good new edition to the Asterix collection and maybe if they do more they will keep getting better. Happy that I have got it! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good translation, 25 Nov 2013
plm83 (Centre Var) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
I live in France and I am almost fluent in English and I wanted to make a gift to an English teacher.
Having already the original French version, this Asterix respects the spirit and offers a very clever translation.
I bought the French book at Amazon.fr & the English one at Amazon.uk.

3.0 out of 5 stars By Toutatis! Uderzo hands over Asterix to a new writer/artist duo., 7 Jan 2014
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)

The good news is, this one is a step up from the previous two albums. But then again, nothing could be worse than the atrocious "Asterix And The Falling Sky" (I mean, come on, Asterix and aliens??). So I was wondering what would happen now that Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad have taken over and if they would be able to breathe life back in to the series.

The art by Didier Conrad: while not on a par with Uderzo, it is a reasonably close approximation. At least the characters were perfectly realized and true to Uderzo's original style. Some panels had me thinking: this is probably how Uderzo would have done the layout. But as Uderzo was involved in the production, I don't know whose idea this was. Though there is room for growth, this is a reasonable good first attempt so I give the art four stars.

The scenario by Jean-Yves Ferri: the first couple of pages aren't too bad and a nice set-up for the story to follow. But then, it starts heading downhill. The overall story-line was muddled and didn't really get off the ground. The census taker seemed redundant to me (lost comic opportunity here) while lots of opportunities to poke fun at the Scots were passed over while some of the jokes that were made, fell flat. So, overall, I give the scenario two stars.

The translation by Anthea Bell: in the Dutch edition of this album, the translation seemed rather bland. My French isn't good enough to read Asterix in the original language, so I was wondering if the English version would be any better. But there are only slight differences between the Dutch and English versions of this album. For example, in the Dutch translation the druid Getavix is called Panoramix and Cacofonix is called Assurancetourix (I must say, I like the English name better). MacAroon is called MacAdam and his enemy MacCabaeus is called MacAber in Dutch.

Textually, what's missing in both Dutch and English versions is the sly wit and double (often triple) meanings that Goscinny would layer through the text, so I assume this is a failing not in the translation but in the French source as well. As mentioned above, the humor is very hit and miss (mostly misses), generally lacking the subtlety and warmth I'm used to from the Goscinny/Uderzo-combo. So I would say that, for better or worse, the translation is "spot on".

Trying hard not to look at this album through Goscinny/Uderzo-tinted glasses, because Ferri & Conrad have some admittedly very big shoes to fill, I would say this is overall an okay first-time effort, hence the three stars. But they really need to step up to the plate in their next effort, especially scenario-wise.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star asterix, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
great I really enjoyed this Asterix comic because the Picts were funny and Obelix was funny, 8 year old Asterix fan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thumping Good Asterix in the tradition of the classics, 8 Nov 2013
John Ironmonger "J.W.Ironmonger" (Market Drayton, Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
So for anyone who doesn't know the Asterix story - here is a potted history. In 1959 writer Rene Goscinny and illustrator Albert Uderzo published the first comic book to feature the adventures of Asterix the Gaul. Over the next 53 years, there would be more than thirty books in the franchise, and for a while - in the sixties and seventies - the books were as close to perfect as a comic book ever could be. The drawings were exquisite, the stories entertaining, and the humour gentle. These years saw titles like 'Asterix and Cleopatra', 'Asterix the Legionary,' and 'Asterix in Britain,' - books that have become essential classics in the genre.

But in 1977 tragedy struck. Goscinny died, and Uderzo decided, singlehandedly, to continue with the books, both writing and drawing them. It was a fiasco. The series began a grim spiral from brilliance to mediocrity and onwards to utter awfulness, reaching a nadir with titles like 'Asterix and the Actress' and 'Asterix and Obelix All at Sea.'

All seemed lost for Asterix. To make matters worse, a dreadful row had broken out between Uderzo, the publishers, and the family of Rene Goscinny. But in 2011 all parties came to an agreement and a new Asterix title was commissioned - the first with a new writer and illustrator. The result is 'Asterix and the Picts,' drawn by Conrad Didier and written by Jean Yves Ferri. And it is a delight. Almost. Asterix and Obelix travel to Scotland to save the true love of a Scottish chieftan. National stereotypes are mercilessly lampooned, Nessie makes an appearance (of course), Romans are thumped, and it all ends with a banquet beneath the stars. The art work is right back to early Uderzo standards (these too had slipped over the decades). It isn't a Five Star book - some of the humour is still a little clumsy, and the story is rather forced. But it has all the hallmarks of a real Asterix book. I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. More please, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
Asterix and obelisk are back to their self again and the story line is political too.I love it. More please

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good start, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
A decent Asterix adventure from the new writer and artist. Better than the last few albums that Uderzo released on his own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asterix and the Picts, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
This was a gift for my son who grew up with Asterix in France. His comment was that it's very funny and yet not quite as good as "Asterix in Britain". Certainly worthy of 4 stars, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Asterix album in 15 years, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
Uderzo's drawings have kept the highest level through all the post-Goscinny years, but the stories have become gradually worse. Now, the new Ferri & Conrad team delivers a great album in the first try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start for the new team, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Asterix and the Picts (Hardcover)
Like others I was slightly nervous about the new author/illustrator team behind this latest adventure. Having been a fan of Asterix since I was eight I could picture yet another cherished childhood memory being stomped on. Happily this was not the case. A couple of the jokes didn't work and the characterisation in the drawing is not as nuanced as in best of the work by Uderzo but it's a great adventure with classic Asterix stereotypes -tartan, whisky, Nessie - and even a couple of nods to Rabbie Burns. I didn't see the political agenda that others have seen and hopefully the new team will only get better. I have seen my favourite childhood comic book character given a new lease of life. Both I and my eight year old self are delighted.

Asterix and the Picts