4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for Thicker Items.
Published 14 months ago by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars It is ok but its not as good as I expected
It is ok but its not as good as I expected, the pop up device doesn,t always work properly and although there may be wide slots for the bread, the length isn't long enough for even Hovis wholemeal sliced loaf, so over all disappointed
Published 10 months ago by sillymilly

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for Thicker Items., 10 Mar. 2014
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 20700 2 Slice Wide Slot Toaster - Polished and Brushed Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
I was attracted to this particular toaster as I do like Crumpets, Toasted Teacakes etc. and have found that most toasters don't cope. Out of the box, this looked pretty good, with a plain but classic, brushed aluminium finish. All the control are on one side and it makes sense, as you can then place this against a wall in the kitchen to save space and have that side facing you. The slots are noticably wider than any previous toasters I have used.

There are extensive instructions and they mention that it needs to be broken in, but after the first use and a slight chemical smell, the toaster was good to go. I tried crumpets, tea-cakes and thick slices of wholemeal bread, cut from a loaf. All were very successful although this unit was a bit stronger than others I had used.

I noticed that the knob for "browning level" had been set to near maximum and after turning this down below halfway, the results were as I would have expected. If you turn the knob up to maximum with thick items. no doubt they will burn, but with the wider slots it is easy to keep an eye on what is happening and press the cancel/eject button, if necessary. Personally I like crumpets very well done and this toaster is ideal for these. But you have make sure that you turn the knob down for other things afterwards or they might well burn - you just have to apply some common sense, really.

Overall, I am very pleased with this toaster and it works very well for me on the kind of things I like to toast. It looks plain and unobtrusive, no "bells and whistles", but it suits me and does the job. I can see that if you need more slices or more functions, then you might look elsewhere, but this certainly fulfils my needs and will be useful for those who like their toasted items thick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid quality product !, 3 Mar. 2014
Nice metallic finish .. and can handle any type of loaf ... So far it has been going great ! I recommend it as its worth its value !

3.0 out of 5 stars It is ok but its not as good as I expected, 4 July 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs toaster, 26 May 2014
Even though the slots are wide they are not long enough to fit an ordinary slice of bread without having to push it in

3.0 out of 5 stars Very average., 7 July 2014
Quite a good looking toaster-from a distance. Tinny with cheap plastic handles. Seems to toast one side of the bread better than the other. Still, you get what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs Wide slot toaster, 6 April 2014
Great for toast, teacakes and crumpets, buns etc. The wide slot means no more trying to prise out thicker items stuck in the toaster. Yet it toasts thin slices perfectly as well. I'm more than pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toaster, 5 April 2014
The toaster does everything I wanted it for. I haven't yet tried it with anything wide, but I will be toasting hot cross buns so we'll see how it goes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another poor toaster, 28 Feb. 2014
kit's (romsey,hants,englnd) - See all my reviews
After purchasing this toaster as my last toaster browned the bread unevenly, I was upset to find that this toaster is equally unreliable. On a low setting it usually browns the bread ok but if you make the mistake of increasing the level of browness, you will be left with burnt toast on one side! I have thrown away the packaging and paperwork so cannot return

5.0 out of 5 stars toaster, 23 July 2014
Everything I would expect from a quality toaster. I especially liked the button for frozen bread, where it automatically adjusts to cope with the different temperature of bread without having to adjust the control button. The slot is really wide, it easily accepts teacakes, buns etc without them having to be crammed in and spoiling. Excellent

1.0 out of 5 stars Short cable, 30 Dec. 2014
The cable on this toaster is too short and this has meant that I can't use it. Given the cost of sending it back it's not worth returning so it has ended up being a waste of money. I'm very disappointed as my last two toasters have been Russell Hobbs (different models)and I've been very satisfied with them.