5.0 out of 5 stars "That was another mid morning where mid-morning... mattered"
Published on 14 Aug 2012 by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars A ha!
I am an Alan Partridge fan and the show itself was not a dissapointment but when I bought the DVD I was looking forward to two discs only to discover they were basically the same so in that sense I felt a little short changed. The material was good though and it had it's moments of Partridge at his best.
Published 3 months ago by Judy

5.0 out of 5 stars "That was another mid morning where mid-morning... mattered", 14 Aug 2012
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I stumbled upon this series purely by luck when it was originally released on Fosters' YouTube channel (sadly now removed so they can flog the DVD but check out their all-new Fast Show sketches before they take those down too). I also discovered that a couple of episodes are available on the FGW train carriages with in-built screens & found that despite repeat viewing & being in public, I still couldn't help but laugh out loud at every episode. If anything, the more I watched it, the more impressed I became with the subtlety of Coogan's performance.

The format is more like 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' than the later TV series & yet different enough to keep things fresh. It's webcam footage of Alan P. during his 'Norfolk... sorry, NORTH Norfolk' radio programme, having slid even further down the C-list celebrity pole since the last time he graced our screens. Here he has enough rope to hang himself countless times an episode, whether it's with banal chat ("say what you like about Billie Piper but she's the most popular prostitute on ITV"), failing to impress in a wine-tasting feature ("it tastes like Chewitts") or lusting after Anthea Turner ("the Ford Escort Cabriolet of middle-aged women"). Yet there's tremendous subtlety at work behind the outbreaks of foot-in-mouth. There's Alan's bullying of his co-host Sidekick Simon, which echoes what we're told about his relationship with his father. And his tragic attempt to impress a beautiful, much younger colleague is handled so deftly that it manages to be cringingly creepy & yet simultaneously poignant.

'MMM with AP' was originally released on the internet in 12x 11-minute episodes. On this DVD, they can either be watched in the original format or as 6 double episodes stuck together, which are closer to the length we're used to from TV programmes. There's also plenty of outtakes included. Because of the original 11 minute format, the writing is tight & as we've come to expect from Partridge, very, very funny. The change in format also makes it feel fresh & current, despite Partridge having been on our screens for almost 20 years. Along with his biography, this is the funniest Partridge material out there! I only wish there was more of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pear Tree Perfection!, 19 Sep 2012
I LOVE this, having recorded it on my Sky player and watched it repeatedly. For me I find it the total opposite of what some reviewers have experienced. I love the old stuff but it all seems a little dated now with the canned laughter. This is tightly honed comedic perfection in a very direct way, due to the tight confines of the radio studio and the fact that the "webcam" is up close and has the characters filling the screen. There is no sense of rehashing old material here, it all seems fresh to me. I love the surreal tangents Alan often goes off on and it's genuinely clever and funny stuff. Bring on series 2 Steve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Partridge, 27 Nov 2012
For Alan Partridge fans like myself, new material has been a long time coming. Having been delighted to hear of a new series, I did have doubts that the exceedingly high standards of previous programmes would be maintained. Delighted to say that I was not disappointed, especially as it all takes place in a brand new setting (North Norfolk Digital) as Alan's broadcasting career continues its downward spiral. The fact that all the episodes are filmed in a small radio studio means that AP is constantly on camera and Steve Coogan's brilliant acting ensures that every quirk and trait is brilliantly delivered. The writing is superb too, and there are plenty of new classic Partridge lines to savour. No Alan Partridge would be complete without cringe or embarrassment and this series has plenty of both. Well done Steve Coogan and Armando Iannucci for not only re-visiting an extremely popular comedy character but also for coming up trumps. Roll on a second series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I discovered him sooner., 28 May 2013
Scott K (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I am not aware if this show ever made it to Australian tv, but I never knew of it until discovering it here. I am so glad I did. In my opinion, one of the funniest men alive. I have since obtained quiet a collection of all things Coogan. Top stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 10 Mar 2013
Steve Coogan may never shake off Alan Partridge but that's no bad thing as somehow he can be constantly re-invented. This is some of the funniest Partridge stuff ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stuff!, 8 Nov 2012
This will fill in the gaps until the (long awaited) film comes out and who knows when that will be? In the meantime, and in the words of TV Quick magazine this is 'lovely stuff.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit For Alan, 30 July 2012
Mr P. Edwards (Essex, UK, England) - See all my reviews
Does something different with the franchise. We have seen the talk show and the sit com. This is much more Alan interacting with the public and putting Alan's ego right to the fore front. Killer lines throughout the whole series, wonderfully acted by Steve and pitch-perfect a script. A hilarious series. Anyone who likes any previous Alan work will love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars A ha!, 4 July 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 11 Mar 2014
I have been a fan of Alan Partridge for years , but this is just not very funny , The laughs are few and far between , also the setting is rubbish , he is sat in a small room all the time and it has a very claustrophobic feel to it .

5.0 out of 5 stars King and Car, 1 Mar 2013
Alan simply can do no wrong. The King of Anglia is once again on fire with this series. It just gets better with each watch. Simply, "Lovely Stuff". More please

Alan Partridge - Mid Morning Matters [DVD]
Alan Partridge - Mid Morning Matters [DVD] by Alan Partridge (DVD - 2013)