4.0 out of 5 stars A Significant Improvement Over Windows 8.0
[2014-04-02 read my added comments re Windows 8.1 Update at the end of this review]

Nearly a year ago (on 2012-10-26 to be exact) I made a review of Windows 8 under a title "Will Windows 8 Flop or Fly?". As a Windows user for many years, I was baffled by what Microsoft was up to and I chose an eye-catching title to express my bewilderment of how Microsoft got...
Published 9 months ago by Kaio

3.0 out of 5 stars The Start button is back (sort of); other Windows 8 awkwardness remains (and not Linux-friendly)
The initial portion of this review addresses the final stage of an progressive upgrade from Windows 7 with an intermediate step --lasting one year-- at Windows 8 before progressing to Windows 8.1.

Bottom line up front: If you are a power user of Windows 7, and you can keep running your current hardware with a Windows 7 variant: I can't offer a single compelling...
Published 8 months ago by North American Technology Consumer

‹ Previous | 110 11 1215 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it is a good OS., 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
After many hours debating the change and endless reading of reviews on forums and speaking to friends I still couldn't make a decision on this one. Contact through a ouiji board seemed the only sensible answer, yet the spirit world was also divided on this one. In the end it was a review from a mac user that decided it for me. After a 29 page dossier on the pros and cons of this system I decided I really didn't care about other peoples opinions anymore and took and flipped a coin. It landed on its side. I went to Amazon and saw the price and thought #*$€ it, I'll go for 8.1.

I really like this system, after a little getting used to, but nothing like the reviews will have you believe, you will find yourself navigating this os with intuitive ease. It is very fast to boot, And I have set mine to go direct to desktop as a default, though switching between the tiled view and desktop is actually very quick and easy and I have started too modify the tiles to actually serve a useful function.

There are certain defaults which are switched on that you may wish to turn off, especially if you have a penchant for the pirate bay. Google will navigate you good pages offering advice on software options if that is your whim. Saying that, this system boots fast, I have personally had no driver conflicts or issues and I like the VPN options.

If you ate building a new pc I would take this OS. If you are upgrading on an old pc I wouldn't bother. If you are upgrading on a relatively new or powerful system I would say its matter of choice but don't be swayed by people posting reviews on Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
Does what is says on the tin

1.0 out of 5 stars use a different operating system if you can, 23 Nov 2013
lizardem (midlands u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
Microsoft think that what you want from your computer/laptop is a smartphone. Personally I want my phone to be a smartphone and my computer to be a computer. Windows 8/8.1 is utter utter utter rubbish. I am not a computer geek and although the prospect scares me slighty I will use a different operating system next time I buy a computer.

If you are unfortunate enough to have to deal with windows 8 then you can get an app called 'Shell' Which makes it a bit more like previous versions of windows which helps a bit, but pretty much everything is harder to do with windows 8.

4.0 out of 5 stars WINDOWS 8.1 enough said!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
WINDOWS 8.1 WE LOVE OR HATE IT? BUT IF YOU DOWNLOAD A START BUTTON CALLED "CLASSIC SHELL" free download!!! we get our start button back hooray!!!!!!! then select the view we want? And choose how we want to view start; as in other versions of windows XP or WIN 7, If you do this it helps you to navigate around EASY!! TRY IT AND SEE.

5.0 out of 5 stars windows 8.1, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
windows 8.1 was better and faster than I thought it would be well worth the money.and, I like the set out too

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with a touchscreen!, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
I started with Windows 95 as a youngster, and then through XP and Windows 7 with laptops provided by my employers. I have no issues with Windows 7.

I'm not knowledgeable about the various differences behind the scenes, but I personally have found Windows 8.1 to be just the same as using Windows 7 - so no real issues for me with it.

Yes, having a touchscreen makes the "tiles" thing easier to use, but the familiar Windows Desktop interface is only 1 click / touch away. I've not yet spent enough time to get completely familiar with the tiles and customisation bits, but it seems simple enough to use. Yes it looks different, but it is easy to work out.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how simple and quick it was to install this on a brand new SSD. I was expecting a long evening of nonsense, but it was so straight-forward and simple. Very happy at this. (My last experience of OS installation would have been with 1.2" and 1.44" floppy discs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting used to it - but so far liking what i see!, 6 Jan 2014
I built my own machine and decided to go with 8.1

I am a mac user at work and have macs at home for the last 10 years. I have a PC with windows 7 at work so can say i'm fairly familiar with both os's.

Have been getting used to 8.1 and initially it's strange to use, but give it some time and things get easier. I'm pretty confident in navigating around it now.

There will always be people who are set in their ways, afraid of change and scared to move on. 'Traditionalists' if you will. Instead of learning how new things work, they decide that something is rubbish. To those people is say - embrace the changes. :) Remember Windows 3.0? People back then said the same thing about Windows 95…. and that was 19 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Windows 8.1, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
The software installed correctly on my lap top and is functioning well, by reading the instructions on the screen it has given not problems, Thank you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Think again!, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
I choose this rating by comparing with Windows 7. After installation you will find it does not have a free media player like windows 7. So you have to buy a DVD player software to play DVD. It has some issues with audio. Every time I use head phone I had to start music/program/movie again. It cannot automatically switch from speaker to headphone. Although they add the start menu button but no shut down icon. I do not like choosing shut down from a list.

I chose it as I have to use latest windows for my Latop's touch screen, monitor color management or compatibility issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forced to buy this but no regrets, 24 Nov 2013
John "John Neilson" (Tidworth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) (CD-ROM)
I was forced to buy this as Windows 8 decided that my full version o Win 8 Pro could no longer use the license key - no idea why but there you go. I got the Win 8 Pro from Argos on offer at release for 80 so was not willing to cough up the insane price for Win 8.1 Pro and lets face it the "pro" features are hardly worth the extra unless you will make use of them.

The bonus of having the Win 8.1 install disk is I can reinstall the software as there is a bug in the download only version which forces folks to have to go back to 8 and then download 8.1 all over again - hopefully this will get fixed soon.

8.1 is better but I do still miss the start menu as it was so much quicker and convenient.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1215 | Next ›

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version) by Microsoft Software (Windows)
83.99