1,885 Reviews
 (1,025)

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the controversy?
Published 4 months ago by M. READ

2.0 out of 5 stars frankly boring. The characters
Published 29 days ago by Johnny

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the controversy?, 14 Aug 2014
M. READ (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
Coming a bit late to the party here, I read the novel aware of most of the views expressed, and the deep divisions between reviewers--the majority hailing it as a masterpiece, while a few dissenters slam it. Far be it from me to challenge the professionals, but I think the qualities and faults are pretty clear. No-one surely can deny the charm of Tartt's style, or her ability to set up an intriguing situation (the qualities which made 'The Secret History' so popular). But the problem with an intriguing set-up is that it tends to promise more than it can deliver-- I felt this even with 'The Secret History', which I loved. Here, the last 100 pages are a bit of a mess (maybe that's going slightly too far-- let's say complex and convoluted without enough depth to balance them). But in terms of a reader's pleasure there are whole stretches that are outstanding--for me, particularly the Las Vegas section. Since my taste is always for a novel that tries to do too much rather than too little, I can't help warming even to the excesses. Yes, editors could have taken the scissors to it--but I think they would have taken its heart away--its sense of the richness and complexity of
life.

4.0 out of 5 stars If Graham Greene Wrote a Script for Breaking Bad..., 23 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I've been meaning to read The Goldfinch for some time, mostly because I am intrigued by it's central character being a painting rather than a person... Having just read the last page I am not entirely sure what to say. It is unlike any book I've read. The writing style is exhilarating, if at times a little overwhelming. Can Donna Tartt really know so much about so wide a range of subjects? She either has a glittering talent for research or a kaleidoscopic breadth of life experience. Her capacity to capture and convey just a few vital details and thus to evoke a whole area of culture is mind-boggling: a powerful parallel to the process she herself describes here, where a great artist, with a few brushstrokes can create a vibrant new reality. She names this process as a kind of huge joke, the artist telling us that what we are seeing is at one and the same time the object and not the object. There is an odd sense through 'The Goldfinch' that Tartt, too, is joking. So much of the story comes across both as real and authentic and as outrageously unlikely. we are tempted so often to disbelieve, only to be shown by sleight of hand that the unlikely was possible after all. 'The Goldfinch' is compelling and readable, with a cast of eccentric characters I feel privileged to have met. Tartt's confidence with language sets her apart as a significant writing talent, and there are moments of reflection on art and the nature of beauty that are exceptional.

The more complex aspect of the book is trying to decide what kind of book it is. In parts it reads as a thriller, in parts as a Dickensian comedy of errors, in parts as a tense romance. Its philosophical musings are worthy of Graham Greene but its central plot-line could be straight out of Breaking Bad or The Wire. It's no bad thing to mix genres and defy formulaic rules, but it will be frustrating to some readers. In the end most will fall back on the cadence of Donne Tartt's prose. If you like her style, as rich and fruity as a brandy-soaked Christmas cake, you'll be carried around the genre corners. If, on the other hand, you can live without paragraph-long descriptions that add little or nothing to the plot, you may just find yourself skipping a page or two.

GERARD KELLY, Author of The Boy Who Loved Rain

2.0 out of 5 stars frankly boring. The characters, 19 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
This book should come with a "Government Health Warning": it might well depress you! I stumbled upon this novel because of enthusiastic reviews in a well established, highly-regarded upmarket weekly journal. I admit to never having heard of Donna Tartt. The start of the novel (the first 100 or so pages) is riveting. But thereafter it just slowly disintegrates: the writing becomes tired,repetitive; the story-line,at first so bristling with interesting ideas, becomes flaccid and.frankly boring.The characters, with one notable exception,are either unlikeable, or plain one-dimensional. By the "Amsterdam" section, I just longed for the end and skim-read the final 150 or so pages.The "killing" is depicted in sub-"O" level prose.
And yet...and yet: there are several passages of elegiac writing,some lovely musings of loss and grief. It's such a shame an editor couldn't have persuaded Tartt to shorten this novel to 400 pages as opposed to the 864.
An unusual theme,a great idea ,has been allowed to mushroom out of all proportion. What a shame that the drug-induced atmosphere of much of the novel has clearly suffused the author,too,causing a loss of judgement.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't remember a book I enjoyed more. I was quite bereft when I reached ..., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
I can't remember a book I enjoyed more. I was quite bereft when I reached the end, as I realised that I would no longer be able to delve into the lives of Theo, Boris, Hobie and Pippa. Ms Tartt writes beautifully and although it may sound like a contradiction, as the novel is quite long - sparely. Every word is there for a reason. In short, I loved it. Have bought it for my mum and have recommended it to many others. Thanks Ms Tartt for a book I will remember for the rest of my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is a good editor when you really need him/her?, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
The hype and critical plaudits persuaded me to buy this book, yet here I am, 320 pages into this saga, and I am still reading about Theo and Boris 's endless vodka and vomit scenarios in a bleak and windswept corner of Las Vegas.
I am not only wondering where this unpleasant episode will take me, but also wondering how, after 300 + pages! we finally arrived here; believe me, the journey was far from interesting, the characters were easily forgettable, the plot meandering beyond belief, and I really, really cannot face a further 400 pages of meaningless and uninspiring drivel. My main concern is that I was " duped" into reading he reviews, "conned" into Radio 4's coverage of Ms Tartt's new novel, and sadly, I totally believed the critical acclaim quoted within the book. How can this be so gripping, so heart- stopping, so heart-rendering, so thrilling and touching, so masterful!!
I am a book addict. I am of mature years. I have read hundreds upon hundreds of books. I love reading. So how can this be such an awful novel, yet so highly acclaimed.
There have been many comparisons made between The Goldfinch and Great Expectations. Ignore the references. Please, please take my advice. The autumnal nights will soon be upon us. Buy a copy of " Great Expectations" and sit by an open fire with a comforting drink, and relish the devour the wonderful characters created for you by Mr Dickens. You will remember them all with great affection for years and years to come.
The characters offered to you by Ms Tartt will be forgotten before you turn a page and close the book and place it in a dark space at the very black of a library shelf.........never to be viewed again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I bought this on recommendation from a fellow book lover who raved about it. I can't say I agree, initially I got into the story straight away and found myself intrigued by how the story was unfolding. I can't deny its a good storyline but I simply got bored with the Authors endless long descriptions and felt that some chapters were dragged out. I'm annoyed with myself for not finishing it but I found it boring and I was continuously skipping pages to avoid the drivel. I realise from the reviews I'm very much in the minority apologies to all Donna Tart fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive book both to its volume and quality, made by skillful storyteller, 8 Nov 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt is a literary work that will take some time to read it, but you'll enjoy it fully, both during and after its reading, due to author's masterful style and interesting story.

Main character named Theo Decker when he was young survived an explosion that killed his mother.
He will be left by his alcoholic father, his grandparents that are his only family will ignore him, until he would be accepted by virtual strangers and drawn into the underground world of art.
Feeling only love considering the art, reader will accompany Theo on his life journey, through all the problems that would be placed before him, somehow looking that he puts almost none effort to change his life...

"The Goldfinch" is somehow dark novel but what makes it great read is primarily the author's style and level of details which is hard to describe, managing to make even ordinary things that are happening in everyday life interesting.

Tartt knows with the words being an excellent storyteller, she draws pictures using her words, provides so much details that resulted in a work length of 800 pages which will be really challenging for some readers.
But, those patient readers will enjoy her style certainly; when for example she speaks about winter days reader can actually feel like looking at the scene with her/his own eyes...

Also, what is impressive is how good Donna Tartt managed to write this novel from the male perspective that's a quite uncommon especially given the length of her work.

Speaking about novel's characters, they are nuanced and will quickly go under your skin.
Considering main one especially, the author must get credit for his creation because Theo is well-made and believable character throughout his all turbulent maturing which is followed in the novel.
At the novel beginning he seems like a nice guy to who life wasn't fair, but as plot will gradually unfold he will slowly ceases to be so likeable, given the many opportunities that life affords him to get out of trouble.
But on the contrary it seems that he likes to be around people and getting into situations that will make his life even more complicated.

"The Goldfinch" is an impressive book both to its volume and quality, made by skillful writer that know how to deal with words which are all of them enjoyable, literature work that shows how art can expand human life and make changes in ourselves...
And due to all of that this novel can be highly recommended, although be prepared for a long but pleasant journey through its 800 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow and gosh!, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I read this book while on holiday in Italy. From the moment I started it, I was captivated. Donna Tartt is not someone whose writing I was expecting to enjoy but, despite the tragedy, darkness and horror of the story line, I loved it. The book is skilful in its examination of people, it contains enough whodunit intrigue for crime fans to enjoy, the lavish description of antiques is enough to make me give up my love of modern furniture design, the main characters are interesting and develop into wholly credible characters as the book progresses (I can even see them, understand how they look and behave and want to meet them all) and even the depravity of some of the addiction described in the book is such that it put me off my glass of wine with lunch on one beautiful sunny day during my holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
This is a tough book to review without gushing and without giving away too much of the story. I am going to gush, because in this instance I can't help it, but I'm going to try to avoid giving away too much of the story, because many of the great delights of The Goldfinch come from that rare experience of reading for pleasure: turning the pages to see what happens next, and losing yourself in this world of someone's creation. So try to know as little about this book as you can before you start to read it. The Goldfinch is a novel of many wonderful surprises, whether it's the introduction of both major or minor characters, or plot twists I really never expected, or unexpected shifts of scenery. (And whoa! One change in location in particular is a masterclass in dramatic handling, artfully rendered and most purposefully done.)

But gush isn't enough, so let me just say this: if you're a fan of Harry Potter or Pinocchio or The Wizard of Oz, if you've enjoyed Truman Capote, Jack Kerouac or J.D. Salinger, or Huckleberry Finn or Walt Whitman, if you've had fun with Breaking Bad or Six Feet Under, if you can imagine Dickensian epics retold for the era of global capital and sprinkled with a dose of Buddhist sentiment, if you love the old masters of Dutch painting, if you love dogs, if you love little birds, if you've loved either of Donna Tartt's other novels, if you live for great storytelling, if you think that art can change the world and that we can love unquestioningly (deep breath) ... if any of the above apply to you in any way, there is a good chance that you might like or even (like me) love this book and be totally wrapped in its embrace.

The ending of the book just soars. It moved me to tears.

The Goldfinch is epic, and it's ambitious. The many fantastic reviews are warranted. It takes risks, and they worked magically for me. Books as pleasurable as this are rare events. Yes, I'm gushing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I might not have picked up such a large book of my own volition but it was our reading group book. An excellent read. Beautifully written, the many characters are so well defined it is like watching a film . I found the first part of the book extremely hard to read, it was so painfully I almost put the book down, I am glad I continued to the end. I would most certainly recommend it.