5.0 out of 5 stars THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
"I had lots of nicknames: Gordon Gekko, Don Corleone, Kaiser Soze; they even called me the King. But my favourite was the Wolf of Wall Street, because that was me to a T. I was the ultimate wolf in sheep's clothing: I looked like a kid and acted like a kid, but I was no kid. I was thirty-one going on sixty, ..."

So says Jordan Belfort in the book of the...
Published 14 months ago by Jet Lagged

3.0 out of 5 stars Saw the film first then read the book.
I saw the film without having read the book. It was a fairly good film - typically Scorsese with the music selection and the cinematography although I thought it was a little too long. Di Caprio was very good, as were the supporting actors, many of whom I hadn't really seen before.

Published 13 months ago by Movetotheleft

3.0 out of 5 stars Saw the film first then read the book., 5 Feb. 2014

I instantly bought the Kindle of the edition and ploughed straight through it. To cut to the chase, it is the autobiography of a guy who makes his millions through a stock broking / investment banking set-up which was immoral at best and downright illegal at worst. I was hoping that it would be a rags-to-riches and back to rags sort of book and fill-in some of the blanks that you expect from a film. It was however somewhat missing - you get the drug abuse, parties, debauched behaviour by his peers and employees and the illegal trading, but you don't get the story of how it all happened - in fact it gavies less of a picture than the film, usually it is the other way around.

Many of the anecdotes from the film are included in the book but they tend to become a little tiring repeated time and time again. When he describes his Rolex or cars, parties, houses, conquests in the bedroom (or wherever it takes his fancy!) it is without any sort of irony or sense that it will wear thin to the reader. It doesn't feel that there is any remorse from the author for the lives that his company ruined by selling worthless stock, the pension funds that might have been hit etc.

I wouldn't suggest reading if easily offended due to the bad language it contains - it doesn't bother me but each to their own. Overall it was OK, perhaps as a tale of greed and debauchery it was interesting - not greatly written but if you enjoyed the film the chances are you might enjoy the book. I don't think passing a moral judgement of an individual is a valid category on which to judge a book - the 3 stars represent that is is an interesting read and I've not read any accounts of broker millionaires before, if I was to award a points based on the antagonist/protagonist Jordan Belfort it would be a 1 star!

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst book I have ever read, 16 Mar. 2014
Saw the film first and thought it was really entertaining so thought I'd give the book a try.

What a mistake - it has to be the most repetitive, boring and appallingly written book I have ever read. Even though it's only around half the length of a lot of the books I read I found it really hard going, mainly due to how badly this book was written. He repeats himself many times, talking about the same old things - things which on many occasions are just not interesting; Really, I didn't care how much your silk sheets cost the first time you told me, and I care even less after you've then proceeded to tell me again another couple of times. This is something that he does frequently throughout the book, as well as refer to people he encounters with - mainly derogatory - nicknames for pretty much everyone he encounters, including his own wife (loamy loins, I ask you!)

After finally getting to the end I formed the conclusion that here we have a book written by a person who has absolutely no morals at all, totally no understanding or remorse for the lives he's destroyed through his pursuit of sex, drugs and money. This book is simply 500 pages of bragging about how much better he is than practically anybody else (heaven forbid you go to work and earn an honest living for a modest wage packet because in his eyes you'd be nothing but pond scum). He also seems to remember conversations and events in almost exquisite detail and considering most of his time was spent high as a kite I fail to see how that can be possible so I believe that a lot of what happened in this book is embellished to an extent - I am left wondering how much of it is actually true and how much is his own imagination.

It's nothing but self indulgent rubbish and I certainly won't be reading his second book and throwing more money at him. He truly is a despicable man. He looks down on everybody else when in reality it is he who is the lowest of the low.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Rake's Progress, 18 Jun. 2014
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is the lengthy tale of the first career of Jordan Belfort, creator of one of the most successful penny share boiler rooms and an inveterate consumer of pharmaceuticals. He recounts his excessive spending, copulation and drug-consumption and the impact on himself and his family of this (and his illegal share dealing) ranging through divorce, jail and a lot of hospital time (Belfort has the constitution of Rasputin). It may sound like a mixture of Fear and Loathing and Liars Poker but the author is stuck between being maudlin, half-proud and half-shocked by what he did. In this he is probably correct but it makes him no less tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, 18 Jan. 2014

So says Jordan Belfort in the book of the film. It first appeared in 2007.

An often shocking book but Belfort writes engagingly. So, despite the material, it's a real page turner. I'm not surprised that Scorsese wanted to make the film version of it.

Jordan Belfort forms his own brokerage company called Stratton Oakmont. It's a great name which suggests solidity, continuity and oak lined paneling. A tradition of financial service to discerning clients. But it was all smoke and mirrors. And Belfort essentially ran an illegal bucket shop operation. So, to state the obvious, this book should not be compared with books on investment and finance!

"The Wolf of Wall Street" is more of a boisterous, lecherous, and venal hedonistic romp. (Leonardo DiCaprio has compared Belfort to a modern-day Caligula). Belfort clearly subscribes to the "Reality is due to a deficiency of good drugs" theory.

So seven years down the road and his wild story finally goes mainstream. Get this book if you want all the fine details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a watch (without your parents), 29 Dec. 2014
One of my Top 5 films this year - a genuinely interesting insight to the life of a money-hungry banker, which was played so well by Di Caprio. How the real Jordan Belfort is still alive is beyond me.

There are loads of funny moments on this film, it's a weird mix of money, money, sex, drugs, drugs, drugs and comedy. I wouldn't recommend watching it with your parents because that would be awwwkward... but definitely worth a watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the film!, 10 Feb. 2014
Not often you hear that the film is better than the book yet sadly that's true for this stinker!

Jordan Belfort seems to remember exactly how much he paid for everything he's ever bought, jewellery, cars, hookers, drugs, clothes, the lot. He also remembers the exact amount of pills (mainly Quaaludes) he consumed during each night out.

Absolutely full of himself. In my opinion he needs a swift kick in the tits!

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 16 Jan. 2015
Didn't like it at all! Don't know if I will ever get used to the kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars insanely amazing, excessive beyond belief!, 30 Jan. 2014
Couldn't pit it down because i couldn't believe what I was reading. A ludicrously entertaining read, one of the best books I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, 29 Jan. 2014
Absolutely amazing book! Definitely worth reading! Better than the film as well. The fact it's true makes it even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 27 Oct. 2014
Have truly loved this book.
Jordan's is a very interesting story teller and throughout the whole book you are rooting for him despite the terrible things he does.
The ending was slightly rushed and it did feel that he had a lot more to say but I really enjoyed it nonetheless