5.0 out of 5 stars What a find
Published 10 months ago by E. Moubayed

3.0 out of 5 stars Title track owns the rest of this album
I heard the incredible title track and was pretty excited about what seemed like a new sound for R&C. They have got a new sound but this isn't it, most of the rest of the album is that sort of folk n beats stuff which is nice enough but a bit beige.

Published 9 months ago by Jeff Bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find, 25 Oct 2013
E. Moubayed (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercury Rising (Audio CD)
I have to say I didn't know these guys in their first iteration, and I still don't know how I found them, I think it was a tweet or via facebook. Who cares - what a serendipitous find. Clearly music is a very personal choice, I love it, one of the songs has a delicious sounding moog running through it - what a beautiful sound. There are so many layers to each of the songs that you only start to appreciate them when you listen to them a) loud and b) again and again. GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the wait, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mercury Rising (Audio CD)
wow these 2 boys sure now how to write some class tunes, so glad to see them back in the studio, i hope we dont have to wait another 10 years for the follow up, well done, its been on rotation since it arrived 3 days ago

3.0 out of 5 stars Title track owns the rest of this album, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mercury Rising (Audio CD)

The hiphop leaning tracks are ok but unspectacular. Mystro delivers as usual but Masta Ace is uncharacteristically lacklustre. The turntable exhibition that is Check The Technique is let down by a pedestrian beat. The sung vocal tracks don't quite have the impact of those on previous records with Bobby Womack for instance

A bit of a swing and a miss for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercury Rising, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mercury Rising (Audio CD)
I love this... We've waited a long time, and it's worth it!

These days I'm more used to pick and mixing tracks from spotify or itunes, and rarely need more than two or three from each artist. Rae and Christian have kindly done that for me, by working with a great mix of new and established talent (Mark Foster from Foster the People, Jake Emlyn, Mystro, Ed Harcourt, Gita Langley and the wonderful Kate Rogers). There's also a mix of musical styles, some of which evoke the old Rae and Christian Northern Sulphuric Soul memories, and some which move in an entirely different direction. They're all held together by a thread of musicality and quality, however.

It's more than 10 years since the last album, so I'm OK with a change of direction, and most of these are growers. Kate Rogers Still Life Freefall is a personal favourite and Happy with Mark Foster is an immediate winner too.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mercury Rising (Audio CD)
I only have Blazing the crop by Rae & Christian which is an excellent album, this however is not as good

Mercury Rising