5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I'm a fan of the urban fantasy stuff (Rivers of London, Sandman Slim etc) so this was right up my street. Is possibly the most inventive of all urban fantasy I've read to be honest. Tony Ballantyne writes how William Gibson wishes he could write.
The story follows Captain James Wedderburn, immersed in a constantly changing dreamworld/reality which is also regressing...
Published 6 months ago by K. Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars So brilliant, yet so ultimately unfullfilling
I want to love this book. I want to rave. Indeed I was sending my friend messages initially quoting bits and saying how awesome it was. Yet ultimately, I've come away from a book that is kind of forgettable.

I love so many things: the concept of London changing and shifting. The description of things moving around. The 'Dark City' moments of the environment...
Published 8 months ago by skb17

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, loved the main character., 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and I really did not want it to end. Really funny in places and the story just keep twisting itself round so that I never knew what was going to happen next. It does have some adult content and it is quite rude at times. Next step is to find out if the writer has anything else out yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie in Tempe, AZ, 6 Nov 2013
Carrie L. Wade "Carrie Wade" (Tempe, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream London (Paperback)
I am not typically into the entire fantasy genre - not my thing. I am, however, a voracious reader and I saw this item advertised on Amazon, so on a whim I ordered it. OMG! It is a weird and wonderful tale - I couldn't put it down. I am going to re-read it again soon, so that I can once again experience the magical mystery tour that is Dream London. I really truly enjoyed this book and hope that you will, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 1984 for the Occupy generation, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Kindle Edition)
In Dream London the physical environment is constantly changing, even overnight. Shops appear, disappear, central London tube stations turn up in the East End, the Thames is curling around on itself, and the sinister Angel Tower gets ever taller. But worse, people themselves increasingly pushed back into stereotyped roles. Women are all waitresses, whores or secretaries, whilst the only work for Asians is running Indian restaurants. Everyone seems resigned to their roles, having internalised the individualist economic values that have caused all this. But who is behind the changes? Enter Captain James Wedderburn, the not entirely reliable narrator, who finds himself recruited to find out, whilst also being pressed to join the criminal gang run by the mysterious Daddio.

I enjoyed this book enormously. At the beginning you get drawn in by the description of this strange London, and by the narration of the "roguish" Wedderburn, but later the more political aspect of the story becomes apparent. It reads as a satire on the neo-liberal values that are currently so prevalent. It is like a "1984" for the Occupy generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream read, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Kindle Edition)
After reading the review in the Financial Times I bought this book. It lived up to my expectations - a must read!

Dream London