5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I call urban fantasy!
The tone of this urban fantasy is set when Captain James Wedderburn wakes in a bedroom that is a slightly different shape than it was when he went to sleep (but you have to expect that in what London has become) to the sound of munching and sees two glowing salamanders eating a green beetle the size of a dinner plate on his bedroom floor. The fact that his first thought...
Published 2 months ago by FatBat

3.0 out of 5 stars So brilliant, yet so ultimately unfullfilling
I want to love this book. I want to rave. Indeed I was sending my friend messages initially quoting bits and saying how awesome it was. Yet ultimately, I've come away from a book that is kind of forgettable.

I love so many things: the concept of London changing and shifting. The description of things moving around. The 'Dark City' moments of the environment...
Published 15 months ago by skb17

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie in Tempe, AZ, 6 Nov. 2013
Carrie L. Wade "Carrie Wade" (Tempe, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream London (Paperback)
I am not typically into the entire fantasy genre - not my thing. I am, however, a voracious reader and I saw this item advertised on Amazon, so on a whim I ordered it. OMG! It is a weird and wonderful tale - I couldn't put it down. I am going to re-read it again soon, so that I can once again experience the magical mystery tour that is Dream London. I really truly enjoyed this book and hope that you will, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, loved the main character., 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and I really did not want it to end. Really funny in places and the story just keep twisting itself round so that I never knew what was going to happen next. It does have some adult content and it is quite rude at times. Next step is to find out if the writer has anything else out yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but I didn't like the principle protagonist., 7 Oct. 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dream London (Paperback)
To be honest here I loved the idea, the premise promised a huge tale and knowing the type of writing that Tony brought to his other books generated an absolute need to start this as soon as possible. So settling down with a huge mug of coffee I cracked the spine and got started.

All round the book was OK, however the main problem that I had was that I didn't like the lead character, I found him smug, a little hard to get a grip on and all round I didn't find a facet that I liked about him. It made the rest of the book hard to get through yet for this massive problem, I absolutely loved the inventiveness of the world. It felt rounded, had great imagination and had something to amaze round pretty much every corner. Yet for all that, not having a principle character that I got on with detracted from the rest of the book. Yes it had pace, yes it had some wonderful twists but missing that key ingredient really makes it hard to struggle through. A great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 1984 for the Occupy generation, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Kindle Edition)
In Dream London the physical environment is constantly changing, even overnight. Shops appear, disappear, central London tube stations turn up in the East End, the Thames is curling around on itself, and the sinister Angel Tower gets ever taller. But worse, people themselves increasingly pushed back into stereotyped roles. Women are all waitresses, whores or secretaries, whilst the only work for Asians is running Indian restaurants. Everyone seems resigned to their roles, having internalised the individualist economic values that have caused all this. But who is behind the changes? Enter Captain James Wedderburn, the not entirely reliable narrator, who finds himself recruited to find out, whilst also being pressed to join the criminal gang run by the mysterious Daddio.

I enjoyed this book enormously. At the beginning you get drawn in by the description of this strange London, and by the narration of the "roguish" Wedderburn, but later the more political aspect of the story becomes apparent. It reads as a satire on the neo-liberal values that are currently so prevalent. It is like a "1984" for the Occupy generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream read, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dream London (Kindle Edition)
After reading the review in the Financial Times I bought this book. It lived up to my expectations - a must read!

Dream London