4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read five completely different stories
The five 2013 winners of an annual BBC short story competition are in this book. Mariella Frostrup was the chairman of the judging panel and has written an introduction, reminding us all of the value of a good short story.
Published 12 months ago by Janie U

2.0 out of 5 stars ! excellent story
The Lionel Shriver story is superb. The others are not to my taste being fantasy although admittedly very well written. .
Published 7 months ago by Benton

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read five completely different stories, 29 Dec 2013
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Barmouth - one family's history told through their annual caravan holidays. First person narrative works well and communicates the sadness and hope. This is a big story told conservatively using clever evocative hints, with time passing almost unnoticed. There is something here for everyone to recognise.
We are watching something terrible happening - this one lost me completely. It was very ethereal and seemed to be trying to put a relationship breakdown into a post apocalyptic setting.
Mrs Fox - oddly there is a Kafka feel to this story. It is interesting to read the metamorphosis of the character but I found it difficult to relate to or enjoy (actually the same reaction I had when I read Kafka).
Prepositions - this Lionel Shriver story is the reason I bought this book, the concept of which fascinates me, and I was not disappointed. It is a letter from a New York widow whose husband died on 9/11 to a widow whose husband died in 9/11 (one letter but massive difference) talking about the effect this prepositions had on their grief process.
Notes from the house spirits - self explanatory title as the story is narrated by some sort of ghostly being attached to a house. Overtime we hear about the various people moving in and out along with changes to the structure of the home. I enjoyed this one.
Overall, I really enjoyed 3, one I was undecided about and one I didn't enjoy at all - not bad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stories, especially Barmouth, 13 Oct 2013
Lovely short read - perfect for a short time available to read.Fantastic stories by some great writers. Especially liked Barmouth - a very evocative story linking growing up and a journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nag, 30 Oct 2013
Great short story book nice to dip in to.
Excellent writing especially the Kafka style one! Good to support such great talent .

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Buzz., 25 Oct 2014
This was a book club choice and not the sort I'd normally read. I'd attended a series of lectures in Ireland from Claire Keegan, the Irish writer, who was most impressive. But in spite of her short story recommendations, I felt I struggled a bit. So it was with some concern that I approached this volume. But the reality was better.

i) "Barmouth" is quite intriguing. In my youth I endured family holidays, with similar journeys to those described, including "sick places", etc., and rain on arrival. And I was amused how in retrospect (like school days) those holidays are described as "lovely", decades later. It was interesting, too, how the lead character had failed to progress in life: no "happy ever after". But I got a bit confused about her daughter's age.

ii) "We are Watching Something Terrible Happening". This is really poignant, drawing parallels between meteors and bombings (and possibly by implication a failed marriage). I was not surprised to read that the author is a Professor of Poetry.

iii) Mrs Fox. This is also poetic, and a work of fantasy, but none the worse for that.

It contains two strangely used words (corona and calluna) and at least two misspellings (possibly deliberate) and a word not in the Oxford English dictionary ("thirled").

iv) "Prepositions". Again, I need to use the word "poignant". And certainly thought provoking.

v) "Notes from the House Spirits". This is beautifully written, if a bit strange. It took me a bit of time to work it out. But it was an interesting theme.

In summary I was pleased I read these stories. The short stories were more enjoyable than a platitudinous detective thriller. Sometimes I felt that I might be missing a point or losing out on some hidden message, but I think I did OK!

2.0 out of 5 stars ! excellent story, 5 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse Collection of Intriguing Stories, 22 Mar 2014
My favourite story from this collection was 'Prepositions' - a very thought provoking tale about the difference between dying on 9/11 or dying in 9/11. It really feels like it could be to someone's true story. I also enjoyed Mrs Fox although I found the ending a bit vague.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 2 Jan 2014
S. Baxter "Moogiemoo" (Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this after hearing on Radio 4 some of the short story about the lady who transfigures into a fox. I missed the ending and so am pleased with the other stories as well. A really good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 14 Dec 2014
A sort of intellectual collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 July 2014