5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Visions, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
Way back in 2006 I was mesmerised by Lisbee when she performed "Follow" to a small audience of members of the UK Scout Association. This was a small preview of her appearance at the O2 in London for the Live07 event to commemorate the centenary of Scouting in 2007.

Later that year this talented musician attended two special dinner events in West Yorkshire and her vocals held everybody in awe.

Lisbee Stainton has continued to develop her amazing talents and each album offers both fresh visions along with revisiting old friends.

"Follow" will always rank highest in my personal favourites, but "Red Dog Running" from this new album, "Word Games", has confirmed to me that I'll never grow weary of turning to her music to be uplifted.

If you can't manage to see Lisbee performing live then I'd recommend that you buy the albums, find a nice quiet room without distractions, sit back and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 2 Mar 2014
D. Rundle "Talman" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
I first came across this young lady when we went to see Seth Lakeman and she was part of his band. Her voice is amazing and I now own pretty much all of her albums! We are going to see Seth again in October and are hoping she will be touring with him again! British folk at its best!

4.0 out of 5 stars Present, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
My other half loves Lisbee so this was a present for him - went straight into the CD player in the car and still there now so I think he likes it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album from Lisbee Stainton, 31 Jan 2014
Sarah Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
Lisbee's third album is well recorded and has many excellent performances from Lisbee, Seth Lakeman and their cohorts. I have both her previous albums which are very good but I think that this is her most consistent album yet. Lisbee has a beautiful voice and it comes across very well here. Highlights for me are the Opener 'Red Dog Running', Eloise and Madron's Well. I'm glad I bought this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
Another great offering from Lisbee Stainton. I heard her playing live with Seth Lakeman, and I have now fallen in love with her voice, a very talented woman

5.0 out of 5 stars A real beauty...music of the highest calibre, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: WORD GAMES (Audio CD)
I first came across Lisbee Stainton a while back when she was support act for Gretchen Peters at a gig in Brighton. I was knocked off my feet by her carefully crafted songs, the unique sound that came out of her bespoke eight string guitar and her wonderful vocals. I knew then that she was destined for bigger things. 'Word Games' is proof of that.

This is Lisbee's fourth album and believe me it's a real beauty. A stunning piece of work that shows her coming of age as a singer/songwriter of the highest calibre. This young lady and her unique sounding eight string guitar are surely bound for greater things once the rest of the world catches up, smells the coffee and realises what a big talent she is.

This album has a fuller sound than her previous outings with more of a band feel to it. With the excellent Seth Lakeman co writing two of the tracks and accompanying her in the studio this album makes it's mark as one of the best I've heard this year. Lisbee's warm, gentle and sometimes ethereal vocals sparkle throughout with terrific songs that make you want to dance one minute and then tug at your heartstrings the next. From the opening track, the catchy 'Red Dog Running', through to the closing title track you're in for a real treat. This is music to make your ears melt, after two plays of this CD you will be hooked and wanting to hear more of Lisbee Stainton's back catalogue (Go, Girl On An Unmade Bed and Firefly, all of which are excellent by the way).

Listening to this album reminded me of the first time I heard the debut album of Judee Sill, a relatively unknown American singer songwriter of the seventies. Not many people had heard of her at the time but I couldn't take that disc off of my turntable and 'Word Games' gives me that same feeling. It's like I'm in on one of music's best kept secrets but surely it can't be long before success and a wider recognition of her talents arrive for Lisbee Stainton. Buy this album, trust me you will not regret it.

WORD GAMES Go GIRL ON AN UNMADE BED Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars LISBEE GOES FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Word Games (MP3 Download)
At last it is possible to get hold of a great selection of powerful songs from the extremely talented and determined Scosha. I feel lucky enough to have been able to listen to a number of the tracks contained in ‘Chapters’ ahead of the album being compiled. To me it could almost be a ‘greatest hits’ as I am so familiar with most of them. Scosha’s songwriting is a joy to hear, nothing bland and meaningless, these lyrics are from the heart and I believe will prove to be very inspirational for many people. The opening track, ‘I’m OK’ was judged to be so good that she was able to scoop a Scottish New Music Award for ‘Pop Recording Of The Year’ for it in 2012. It was at the awards ceremony that I first saw her perform live, and was most impressed, and her obvious joy when picking up the award was very infectious. Later in the year I was privileged to be able to interview her on-air twice, she is such a joy to speak to and clearly extremely passionate about her music. It was even more of a privilege when I spoke to her later during a 24 hour show that I was presenting, she had just e-mailed a newly finished track to me and I was able to give ‘Let Go’ its first airplay after ending the call. Although there may be a common theme linking many of the songs – her self belief and determination to take control of her own life – the songs certainly don’t all sound the same. Each is masterfully crafted and has its own distinctive sound. ‘Just A Boy’ is fun up-beat number (check out the truly inspired video), ‘S*** You Talk’ is an out and out angry rocker, ‘Pray For Time’ an emotive anthemic ballad, and ‘Hollywood’ an acoustic homage to Los Angeles.

All going to plan Scosha will be taking herself to LA soon and seeking to entrance American audiences. I look forward to following her progress out there and absolutely wish her every success. With distinctive looks and voice to complement her meaningful lyrics and tight instrumentation I have every faith in her, and make no apologies for being so enthusiastic about this release. In the meantime I will continue to listen to ‘Chapters’ and do my best to encourage others to check it out.

Word Games