5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars if it works ?
Published 8 months ago by Trev-R

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to prove...
OK, we want our washing clean and bacteria free. At 40 or 60 degrees centigrade, not many germs are likely to survive, we presume.
Along comes a very trusted brand, Dettol, and tells us that adding this to the wash, will kill 99.9% of all germs, like all other Dettol products.
We stick it in the machine, alongside our laundry liquid, and fabric conditioner. Job...
Published 5 months ago by Mr. P. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars if it works ?, 13 Jan 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Spring Fresh Cotton 1500 ml (Pack of Four) (Grocery)
Without access to a laboratory it is impossible to know if this actually works so I am taking it on trust that it does. After reading a couple of online reports I was concerned to read that low temperature washing doesn't actually kill the germs on your clothes. As I wash the majority of my coloured and lightly stained clothes on an ECO cycle that doesn't heat the water at all, I thought I should try using this. You add 2 caps into the fabric softener compartment with each wash meaning a 1.5L bottle should last me quite a while. The smell is very nice (Fresh Cotton) and I didn't find any issue with it, although I don't think I will be trying the lavender.

One small point, don't shake the bottle because it fills with bubbles making it difficult to pour into the cap.

5.0 out of 5 stars It REALLY works!, 22 April 2014
S2b an OAP "worzelrummage" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We were both a bit sceptical about how effective this washing additive could be but just one sniff of our bath towels gave us the answer. We already use a proprietary cleaner more than once a month to get rid of hidden washing machine grime and scale but that has not proved very effective in dispelling the odours - this Dettol product really does. Try it for yourself. We have dogs and their blankets get washed in the machine and, although the machine is cleaned out regularly as I said we have always 'blamed the dogs' for any 'not quite fresh' smells in our washing - now we are saved - and I have had no problems with allergic reactions (as I do with SOME washing products) so this is great and easy to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 22 May 2014
AMB (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There's definitely a difference between using this and not: it seems to be particularly good with sports kits and similarly dirty/smelly stuff which come out even of a fairly short wash smelling clean and fresh. Some people don't like the fragrance and it isn't what I'd call lavender, but if you want something that will kill germs at a low temperature then this is the thing.

You need to use two capfuls in the fabric softener drawer to achieve the heralded 99% of germs killed. Obviously that means you can't use fabric softener at the same time, unless it's built in to your detergent. I use a bottle a month, but a family of 4 would probably go through twice that and it's not cheap. For that reason, it's better used on certain things, such as sports clothes and children's stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for us, 14 May 2014
Lovely Treez (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having discovered the downside of using liquid tabs at low temperatures in our washing machine (vile smell and scum collecting inside the drum) I reverted to powder tabs but the musty smell still lingered despite having put the machine through several high heat washing cycles.

Using Dettol Anti Bacterial Laundry cleanser solved the problem as the unpleasant smell disappeared and the grime was gone for good. I have no proof as to the veracity of the killing 99.9% of bacteria claim but I think the lack of obnoxious odour indicates a decrease in bacteria levels in the drum. Instead we have clean clothes with a pleasant fragrance which doesn't overpower the senses. Hoping our washing machine will last longer too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 10 April 2014
David (SPECTRE Island) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Dettol antibacterial laundry cleanser does the job pritty well. I put it in the conditional draw of my washing machine and it does the job very well. The only thing that I would mark it down on is the packaging. The bottle it came in wasn't very strong and cracked easily so don't be too rough with it. Apart from that this is a very good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you have small children, wash below 60 deg. C, or have sweaty exercise kit, 1 April 2014
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The advent of the low temperature wash raises the question of whether bacteria are present that would have been killed with a 60 deg. C wash. If you have family members who go to the gym or run, you'll know that kit can get that sweaty smell from bacteria even if it has nano silver fibres in the material. This wash additive claims to overcome the problem of bacteria remaining on the laundry.
The instructions state "Just add to the wash." but it's added to the washing machine fabric softener drawer, so works in the rinse cycle. At the end of the wash the laundry smells fresh and pleasant, so whilst I can't say whether it kills bacteria it seems to be a good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to add, piece of mind, 4 May 2014
maximus (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just add it to where the fabric softener should go in, and even if you don't see the anti bacterial effect (because it's impossible to see!) the fresh smell left with the clothing is quite reassuring. I use it for bedding and anything which the cat might have come into contact with to make sure there are no bacteria left after the wash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Liquid, 19 April 2014
L. Newman "l_m_n" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do the majority of my washing at 40 degrees and I know this alone will not kill bacteria. This Dettol liquid leaves clothes smelling fresh and clean - does it kill bacteria? I do not know for sure!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I don't have a microscope, 6 April 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always tended to launder everything on as low a temperature setting as possible. Up until recently I was more than happy with the results of my usual 30⁰ cycle, until learning of the hidden bacteria that probably survives each wash. As I find my 3 cats regularly lounging on my bed, the bed linen was of a particular concern.

I found it odd that this product is poured into the fabric softener section of the washing machine, plus the thin watery consistency had me wondering if this cleanser could deliver an effective wash, let alone kill all the hidden creepy crawlies that possibly infest my duvet cover. I don't have the lab equipment to conclusively state that this product works. I can state though that its light smell is pleasant, plus it eases my mind considerably that I won't catch some weird cat virus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Additive, 6 April 2014
Mr. B. T. Cockram (Harrow, UK) - See all my reviews
With an elderly mother to look after we sometimes have to wash items which are, lets say, badly soiled. After trying this product we decided to add to all of our washloads as it really freshens and cleanses well. Even the dog's bed-linen comes up like new!