Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£1.99

on 2 December 2011
At last a zombie novel that is exciting with a good story. The author paints a great realistic picture of the outbreak and the weeks and months that follow trying to survive this scenario. What made it even more readable was the fact that unlike so many other cheap kindle novels, this particular one was completely free of any grammatical or spelling errors at all from what I could see. This problem is usually rife with most other ones that I have tried to read, with the result of me sometimes giving up after a while as it gets so annoying and distracts greatly from the story, which it has to be said are usually badly written anyway. I think this author was on the button and will go far.
on 1 April 2013
I've just read all 3 books in the series so far, and I'm extremely impressed! I'm an avid zombie novel fan, and these books are some of my absolute favourites! Every book had me gripped, I read for hours wanting to find out what happens next! The characters in these books are really easy to identify and sympathise with, and you grow attachments to each and every one of them. Although there are a lot of military references, the author doesn't go over-board with fire arm names and explains all of the military terms that are used in these stories for those of us that are unaware, unlike some of the zombie books I've read lately.

I was nervous, tense, grossed out, scared, excited, on edge, ecstatic and even a little bit emotional at times reading each of these books, they have it all! If you love survival horror, zombies and gore with a great story line then give these a go, you won't be disappointed :)
on 1 May 2012
'Necrophobia' was my first foray into the world of zombie fiction. There appears to be a glut of similar zombie Kindle books on the market at the moment and I was concerned this would be one of those poorly edited self-published efforts, littered with rookie spelling mistakes and crass grammatical errors. Thankfully, it's not.

The book starts in the thick of it with our protagonist Steve, an ex-soldier turned suburban family man, discovering his neighbour being devoured by a zombie. From thereon in, the book is a blood-splattered zombie gorefest as our hero tries to keep himself and his wife and son alive as the world is plunged into an Armageddon of the undead.

The story is told in first person, our protagonist Steve talking us through his exploits. The tone is casual and at times humourous, which turns often to pathos amid the carnage. If you don't like blood and guts, then give this one a miss - the author's descriptions of bloated dead bodies are stomach-turning, even for this type of fiction. The story flits along at a quick rate, the characters lurching from one crisis to the next. The research in this is pretty impressive, from guns and military tactics to the political repercussions throughout the wider world.

I enjoyed this book to the point that I bought the sequel, which was also very good. Overall, fans of the genre will be pleased with this effort. I wouldn't say it challenges the boundaries and conventions of the genre, but it nevertheless offers a breathtaking fictional world in which the reader can immerse oneself. There are a few typos here and there, but by and large the editing has been thorough. Jack Hamlyn is a smart author.

Well done.
on 7 April 2012
I absolutely loved this book, everything about it had me on edge and it had a " real" feel to it.. the characters behaved as us normal folk would do, ie not running upstairs when you could go out the door!
I wasn't a "Zombie" book fan before this but I am converted now!
A must read from me :)
on 22 July 2012
Steve, an Iraqi vet, finds one of his neighbors being attacked by another neighbor that had been buried a week earlier, after dying from a heart attack. As soon as I read that the zombies were coming from a nearby cemetery, I was wondering how Hamlyn was going to pull off a serious story without causing flashbacks to Return of the Living Dead. Not to mention the fact that the main character is surprisingly accepting about the situation. We're not even talking about a fictional zombiephile - just some guy who happens to find zombies wandering through the neighborhood!!

Then Steve drops a SERIOUS bombshell with just one casual statement, causing me to nearly drop my Kindle, and it will no doubt shock other readers as well. Fantastic hook by Hamlyn!

I don't want to ruin any surprises (and there a LOT), but the zombie outbreak is being caused by a "necrovirus," and one character mentions something about it being airborne, which would explain why both buried and fresh corpses are affected. However, the details are pretty sketchy as the story is told strictly from the POV of Steve, who is too busy trying to save his family to stop and ponder the nature of the virus. It's slightly frustrating, but makes for a solid, exciting start to this new zombie series.
on 13 September 2012
I love the whole zombie thing - they are just about the only kind of horror stories that freak me out a little bit. I really enjoy the sudden switch from the normal hum-drum of life to the sudden social collapse and, of course, the protagonist(s) being attacked by ruined versions of friends, family and strangers!

Necrophobia is one of the better ones. I did like World War Z perhaps a little more, but that was really a different kind of story I think.

My biggest concern before buying this was the relatively unknown status of the author, Jack Hamlyn. Let me tell you though, do NOT let that put you off! Sure there are a few spelling mistakes that were missed during editing but nothing particularly off-putting, and I just saw something pretty much the same in the Stephen King book I am reading right now so it happes to the best of them!

Jack Hamlyn has done a fine job of making the story fast paced without seeming contrived or "convenient", something which can really spoil the flow of a story. You are dropped right into the heart of the action with the apocolypse beginning from pretty much the first page. Things escalate very quickly, as you would expect for the genre, and the carnage that follows is described in gruesome detail, though I never really felt it became gratuitious.

So far there are only two books in the series, though I understand there is another one coming perhaps around October (hopefully) and there are quite a few more books left in the story.

I would highly recommend this to any fans of the genre and with a current asking price of £1.53, what have you got to lose?
on 17 June 2012
One of best zombie novels I have read, starts slow and a bit hard to get into but after a few chapters it's a brilliant read.

So good I read second book in one day, highly recommended

Waiting patientley for number 3
on 14 September 2012
I am a massive zombie/horror genre fan and must say at first I wasn't sure about buying this book, however after reading the first chapter I was hooked!! Brilliant and believable zombie tale which charterers you really feel for. I really enjoyed this book and am already over half way through the second one :)

Also to all zombie fans out there I decided to give this book ago after it was recommend by amazon after I finnished reading the zombie fallout series by mark tufo so if you have finnished the second book and are in need of another zombie novel to read until book 3 comes out then give zombie fallout a try :)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2013
Let me explain 4.5 comment. A couple of the story lines were very similar to others I have read. Apart from that, this is a good, well developed story of adventure and endeavour in face of heavy odds. The group developed as people, and you could sense the change. The characters were all believable and the tension was held throughout the story. I found the details of the weapons and vehicles used really added to the read as I'm not familiar with the American army issue. The maps also were a great help in visualising the set up. I'm now about to purchase No 2 in the series
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2013
There are two books slightly different name but the same book I got it started to read it then remembered I had gotten it before because the slight difference in name the warning that I hadit before did not come up it is ok for me as it did not cost anything but it now does so be warned sorry for the 1 star just trying to let people now