1,994 Reviews
 (1,404)

I've always used a traditional approach to hard skin on my feet. I usually soak them, dry them, then sit rubbing them with a foot file or pumice stone. It's worked for me, and I didn't see any reason to change my method. Until I tried the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

Published 10 months ago by Emma Hawes

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge effort and expense for little or no result
I bought this after becoming disenchanted with Scholl's last bandwagon product, the foot file. I was spending five minutes at a time on each area of hard skin - 25-40 minutes per foot - for not much result. Then I heard about this AMAZING new product that was a must-buy.

Published 5 days ago by What She Said

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite advance on a foot file - quick, easy and efficient, 16 Jun. 2014
Emma Hawes (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover (Personal Care)

I was quite excited to receive it, and my first pleasant suprise was how easy it was to get out of the packaging, which sounds a minor detail but as this product would be really useful for elderly people, I think it's worth mentioning that they won't struggle to even get it out of the packet.

It's a very simple product - you put in AA batteries, then turn the silver ring on the handle and it whizzes into action. Just hold the spinning bar against your hard skin and watch it fly off in a fine white dust.

It's beyond easy, and can be used on dry feet so no need to soaking which means I can do my feet daily if I want or need to, keeping them super-soft and gorgeous all the time.

I found the comfortable ergonomic handle really nice to use, and although I'm very flexible, it was nice not to have to bed so much as when using a foot file - the extra length provided by the handle means it would be great for people with mobility problems such as the eldery or someone pregnant.

It's also a very manly device. In blue and silver, it's not girly, and my husband was happy to grab it and give it a go - "it's like a power tool for feet!" he said, which I think is a positive vote.

Yes, it seems pricey at first, at around £40 (although it's on offer on Amazon at the moment), but as it can be used safely by all the family, will last forever apart from occasional changes of the rotating bar, and is extremely portable, it is definitely worth it.

Mine has earned a permanent place in my bathroom, and my poor foot file is feeling rather neglected.

PROS:
Easy and quick to use
Attractive item in non-gender-specific colours
Effective
Good for people with mobility/flexibility issues

CONS:
Initial cost

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Will Be Amazed At the Results., 23 Mar. 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the years I've bought and reviewed hard skin removers and I've received a few of these devices to test and review from Amazon. So I have a little experience of the benefits of these machines.

They all are much of the same BUT I guarantee that when you actually get one and use it you too will be amazed at just how good the results are

I have hard skin on my feet.
When you reach a certain age this is one of the things you develop along with.... Well I don't need to go into that here do I??

I was quite frankly amazed with the results.
After singing the praises of this machine I persuaded my wife to try it.

Now she does have hard skin from years of Badminton, squash and sports.
The results were excellent also so we are both converts to this form of getting hard skin from your feet.

So when offered the Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover I was very interested as most of the others have been Emjo machines.

So this review may be slightly different from others in that I actually am comparing hard skin removers from different companies.

The first thing you notice is that they actually operate on the same principle.
The coarse covered roller is powered by a battery and spins.
You hold it by the handle and apply to your foot's hard skin.
the machine is similar to the Emjo and works well.
Really well.

You will be amazed at the cloud of 'dust' which comes off the soles of your feet.

And compared to the Emjo it works just as well.
Where the Emjo has the edge, if you will pardon my pun, is that the Emjo come with two rollers with differing coarseness. So you can pick and chose but have two for the price of one.
Scholl have missed a trick here maybe?

Now a few tips from an old pro.

1. To get the best results you should wash your feet well first- this gets rid of a lot of stuff and lets the dog see the rabbit so to speak.
In other words soap and water are a heck of a lot cheaper than the roller replacements.
If you can get rid of a whole lot of hard skin easily before this means you are not wasting the rollers life and in a way your own by time.
Make sure you really dry the feet before using the rollers

2. Don't press too hard- this only slows the rollers and makes the motor groan like a 'past its sell by date Zeppelin'.

3. Apply gentle and I do mean gentle pressure ensures the roller really smoothes the hard skin.
Let the machine do the work for you.
It's just like going for a professional manicure. You don't file your nails down you let her do her job. Likewise you let the machine do its job.

4. A warning- there's dust! A fine cloud of...... well let's face it.. it is `you', your dust that is given off so make sure you do it somewhere where bits of you won't clog up stuff? Over the bath/toilet/bidet seems fine.

5. It says you can clean the rollers and machine with water under the tap.
I think an old toothbrush ensures a good clean and makes the rollers last longer.

6. Don't waste money by buying a replacement set of rollers until you have actually tried the machine.
Refills cost under a tenner for two from Amazon at the time of writing.
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Hard Skin Remover Refills
I think they are brilliant but some may not.

Think of all those bread machines that people bought and stored away?

All in all?
This is a machine that works a whole lot better than the old emery board methods.
It produces faster and MUCH BETTER results.
It is Ultra safe when compare to those old razor bladed 'safety' cutters.
It's a whole lot easier to use than fiddly boards where you may not be able to see your soles.
If you intend wearing sandals and are concerned about the appearance of your feet then this is the machine for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Hard Skin Remover for my Diabetic Feet, 24 Aug. 2014
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Being Diabetic, I find that circulation problems often
leave my feet with either peeling patchy skin or hard
skin areas, so I thought that I would try this gizmo.

Until now, I have used several types of Emery Board
foot scraper available from High Street stores
and whilst they do remove some skin debris I always
found that I had to continually moisturise my feet
to keep them from itching and feeling really rough
on the bed linen.

This Scholl product is similar to an emery board in
that it does the same job, but it does it evenly and
without the puffing and panting that a manual remover
seemed to cause this old timer.
One advantage is that you cannot press too hard on the
skin, if you do, the gizmo stops, so no friction burns.

It works well, leaving an all over smooth effect and
does exactly what it claims to do. I still apply some
moisturiser but do not have to swamp my feet in it
as I did previously.
Comes with batteries supplied and you can buy refill
heads if the original head wears out.
It might seem expensive to some, but it beats having
to fork out for alternative methods that do not work
as well.
Recommended. 5 Star product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge effort and expense for little or no result, 19 April 2015
What She Said (Somewhere In England) - See all my reviews

I forked over a large wodge of cash and read the instructions. OMG! This product is so powerful that you mustn't touch it to your hard skin for more than 3 seconds!!! Danger!!1!!

I couldn't believe it was really that powerful, and it isn't. But after spending 5 minutes on each area of hard skin - 25-40 minutes per foot - I got an almost adequate result - better than with the manual file. So I was pretty pleased.

I got the same result the second time I used it, but after that the pumice was too smooth to be anywhere near as effective. Also, expect to have to change the batteries every time you use it. After several uses, it's cost me as much again in batteries, takes twice as long, and I have to concede that it's having no effect at all and hasn't for some time.

I could buy a replacement pumice, but it wouldn't be cost effective.

This is the product that's finally made me swear off Scholl permanently. Like everything they make, this doohickey promises the earth in exchange for much money and little or no result. I have no idea why everyone else in the world is fawning over this useless crapola, maybe it really does work for everyone else and I'm just weird, but if you are reading this and also hate this product... you are not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars smoother feet, 19 July 2014
does what it says on the box - removes the hard and rough skin from your feet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scholl vs Emjoi Professional - a comparative review, 27 April 2014
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to trying this, I was using the more expensive Emjoi Micro-Pedi Professional. I had high hopes for the Scholl branded version but it's nowhere near as good as the Emjoi. Let me explain...

The unit itself is sturdy and ergonomic so it feels comfortable to hold and manoeuvre. There's one speed setting (Emjoi Professional has two but I tend to only use the high setting anyway) and the rollers are easy to change: there's a little switch at the side that you push which will allow you to pull the roller out or push back in. It's a larger & heavier unit compared to the Emjoi Professional (about 3.5cm longer) and it takes 4x AA batteries compared to 3x AAA for the Emjoi Professional.

The device makes a lot of noise - the Emjoi Professional is much quieter. On top of this, the fine skin dust flies absolutely everywhere: inhaling it is unavoidable (unless you have a mask) The Emjoi Professional is so much better here, I think because only half of the roller is actually exposed so it stops all the skin flying upwards and does a good job of directing skin flakes downwards. The other thing is, the roller on the Scholl, doesn't do as good a job as the standard Emjoi roller. The Scholl feels coarser and I've found it's just not as effective in buffing away dry skin. You need to spend more time with the roller over a couple of sessions, to get the same kind of results you get with the Emjoi Professional in one short session.

The Scholl isn't bad overall and I think 2 stars would have been too stingy - but there is something so much better on the market. Personally if it was a choice between the Scholl and a foot file, I would much rather have the Scholl - it's going to make lighter work of buffing and if you've got really dry, coarse skin on your feet you'll be there for ages with a manual foot file. But a choice between the Scholl and the Emjoi Professional, I would choose Emjoi every time. It's quieter, there's far less skin flying around and it does a great job of buffing away dry skin. For really soft feet, I also recommend using foot cream after using whichever Pedi device you have (I recommend Scholl dry skin instant recovery cream)

3.0 out of 5 stars I spent a good hour to get this result, 17 Aug. 2014
Over priced for what it is. I bought it apparently half price at £21 and its overpriced at that in my opinion. Its OK it smooth the skin but it doesn't eliminate the hardness as you imagine it will it simply buffs the skin giving it a smooth feel but the hardness is still there...I spent a good hour to get this result....

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and robust. Doesn't work in the wet, though! And annoying plastic packaging., 6 April 2014
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
**UPDDATE** After a few months, this DOES get regular use despite not being immersible in water. And the batteries last much longer than expected, plus I do now have a charger for alkalines. I've therefore upped my star rating from 3 to 4 since writing by initial review below.

And the awful packaging only needs removing once, I suppose.

**Original review....

As these things go, this is better than most...

-It is nicely shaped with curved lines and no fiddly edges (rather phallic actually).
-Feels solid in the hand and houses FOUR (supplied) batteries for superior power.
-Has a robust sanding wheel which is properly abrasive (almost industrial!) and removable for cleaning.

BUT
-It is impossible to remove it from the most ridiculous plastic packaging.
-IT CANNOT BE USED IN THE BATH as is not waterproof. Huh?
-Manufacturer advises against rechargeable batteries without saying why (good job alkalines are rechargeable these days).

It's too much hassle waiting for your feet to be dry so you can RETURN to the bathroom to use this instead of simply using a waterproof device which can be used at the same time as bathing/showering.

Mrs P has a plastic file thing -a flat stick of plastic with a handle shape at one end and an abrasive coating on each side of the other bat-shaped end. This is easy to store and can be used IN the bath manually, unlike this Scholl electric device.

Sure, the Scholl sander works. But it will remain in the drawer most of the time as it isn't a convenient enough alternative.

[My Ref: Foot sander with willy-shaped handle. Powerful, not waterproof. April 14]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product - My feet have never felt softer!, 28 Feb. 2014
I bought this product as I suffer from hard skin and enjoy having my feet pedicured from time to time. A friend reccomended the Scholl Pedi to me so I thought I would give it a go.

It's so easy to use and the handle feels great in your hand. The dry hard skin just came straight off and left my feet feeling so smooth. I now make this a weekly treat for my feet, it's fantastic!!!

The file head is also open which makes it very easy to use as you can acess all angles unlike some of the other products I have seen which is definitely a benefit.

I have also been using the the Velvet Moisturiser that comes in the range and this adds a lovely soft feel at the end! LOVE IT!

If you feel like treating your feet to some endulgence I would definitely reccomend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 stars please, 16 Sept. 2014
If I could give it 100 stars I would. It is wonderful, because you can angle it correctly it removes the skin that you just can't with non electric foot files and as I live in a relatively hot country it's important to have nice looking feet. I would NOT be without it now. I don't know how it stacks up against other electric files as this is the first I've ever had but to be honest I'm happy to stay with this one. Thank you scholl