I've always used a traditional approach to hard skin on my feet. I usually soak them, dry them, then sit rubbing them with a foot file or pumice stone. It's worked for me, and I didn't see any reason to change my method. Until I tried the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

Published 12 months ago by Emma Hawes

2.0 out of 5 stars Loud and messy
I bought this as I love flip flops and like to keep my feet looking good but it's very loud ! Gave me a headache to use and after 2 uses my feet were dry and the skin hard even after using balm afterwards. Would not recommend.
Published 10 months ago by Paula Coulter

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite advance on a foot file - quick, easy and efficient, 16 Jun. 2014
Emma Hawes (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover (Personal Care)

I was quite excited to receive it, and my first pleasant suprise was how easy it was to get out of the packaging, which sounds a minor detail but as this product would be really useful for elderly people, I think it's worth mentioning that they won't struggle to even get it out of the packet.

It's a very simple product - you put in AA batteries, then turn the silver ring on the handle and it whizzes into action. Just hold the spinning bar against your hard skin and watch it fly off in a fine white dust.

It's beyond easy, and can be used on dry feet so no need to soaking which means I can do my feet daily if I want or need to, keeping them super-soft and gorgeous all the time.

I found the comfortable ergonomic handle really nice to use, and although I'm very flexible, it was nice not to have to bed so much as when using a foot file - the extra length provided by the handle means it would be great for people with mobility problems such as the eldery or someone pregnant.

It's also a very manly device. In blue and silver, it's not girly, and my husband was happy to grab it and give it a go - "it's like a power tool for feet!" he said, which I think is a positive vote.

Yes, it seems pricey at first, at around £40 (although it's on offer on Amazon at the moment), but as it can be used safely by all the family, will last forever apart from occasional changes of the rotating bar, and is extremely portable, it is definitely worth it.

Mine has earned a permanent place in my bathroom, and my poor foot file is feeling rather neglected.

PROS:
Easy and quick to use
Attractive item in non-gender-specific colours
Effective
Good for people with mobility/flexibility issues

CONS:
Initial cost

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pedi i've ever owned, great product, 26 May 2015
Highly rate this product:
- Easy to open packaging
- Easy to get started (just put the batteries in)
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- No soaking or preparation of feet required beforehand
- Very quick results

You just turn the button on (switch button, you don't have to hold it down), and place it on your foot (not press down) and the results are seen in a matter of seconds. Just carry on until your foot is smooth and soft, this happens within a minute or two.

It does give off dust (which is partly the roller dust, and partly skin!) so I do this over a piece of paper and then put the dustings in the bin.
Once you've done a thorough job on both foot, just maintain with using it once a week and you'll always have smooth feet.

Best foot tool i've ever bought!

Recommend buying Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedicure Intense Foot Serum alongside, to keep your feet not just smooth but soft and hydrated too.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Will Be Amazed At the Results., 23 Mar. 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the years I've bought and reviewed hard skin removers and I've received a few of these devices to test and review from Amazon. So I have a little experience of the benefits of these machines.

They all are much of the same BUT I guarantee that when you actually get one and use it you too will be amazed at just how good the results are

I have hard skin on my feet.
When you reach a certain age this is one of the things you develop along with.... Well I don't need to go into that here do I??

I was quite frankly amazed with the results.
After singing the praises of this machine I persuaded my wife to try it.

Now she does have hard skin from years of Badminton, squash and sports.
The results were excellent also so we are both converts to this form of getting hard skin from your feet.

So when offered the Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover I was very interested as most of the others have been Emjo machines.

So this review may be slightly different from others in that I actually am comparing hard skin removers from different companies.

The first thing you notice is that they actually operate on the same principle.
The coarse covered roller is powered by a battery and spins.
You hold it by the handle and apply to your foot's hard skin.
the machine is similar to the Emjo and works well.
Really well.

You will be amazed at the cloud of 'dust' which comes off the soles of your feet.

And compared to the Emjo it works just as well.
Where the Emjo has the edge, if you will pardon my pun, is that the Emjo come with two rollers with differing coarseness. So you can pick and chose but have two for the price of one.
Scholl have missed a trick here maybe?

Now a few tips from an old pro.

1. To get the best results you should wash your feet well first- this gets rid of a lot of stuff and lets the dog see the rabbit so to speak.
In other words soap and water are a heck of a lot cheaper than the roller replacements.
If you can get rid of a whole lot of hard skin easily before this means you are not wasting the rollers life and in a way your own by time.
Make sure you really dry the feet before using the rollers

2. Don't press too hard- this only slows the rollers and makes the motor groan like a 'past its sell by date Zeppelin'.

3. Apply gentle and I do mean gentle pressure ensures the roller really smoothes the hard skin.
Let the machine do the work for you.
It's just like going for a professional manicure. You don't file your nails down you let her do her job. Likewise you let the machine do its job.

4. A warning- there's dust! A fine cloud of...... well let's face it.. it is `you', your dust that is given off so make sure you do it somewhere where bits of you won't clog up stuff? Over the bath/toilet/bidet seems fine.

5. It says you can clean the rollers and machine with water under the tap.
I think an old toothbrush ensures a good clean and makes the rollers last longer.

6. Don't waste money by buying a replacement set of rollers until you have actually tried the machine.
Refills cost under a tenner for two from Amazon at the time of writing.
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Hard Skin Remover Refills
I think they are brilliant but some may not.

Think of all those bread machines that people bought and stored away?

All in all?
This is a machine that works a whole lot better than the old emery board methods.
It produces faster and MUCH BETTER results.
It is Ultra safe when compare to those old razor bladed 'safety' cutters.
It's a whole lot easier to use than fiddly boards where you may not be able to see your soles.
If you intend wearing sandals and are concerned about the appearance of your feet then this is the machine for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loud and messy, 1 Sept. 2014
Paula Coulter "peebo books" (milton keynes UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars You so have to get one of these but you ..., 14 May 2015
You so have to get one of these but you really need to do this on the back doorstep. I was given this as a gift and only had a small amount of dry skin but the dust cloud that was produced would send asthmatics and OCD/cleaners running into the hills ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars smoother feet, 19 July 2014
does what it says on the box - removes the hard and rough skin from your feet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money!, 26 Jun. 2015
This is just a bit of sand paper wrapped around the barrel, which spins weakly under battery power. It will leave your feet smooth in a very superficial way if you haven't got any issues already, but it doesn't in any way work into the calluses. If you push even remotely hard, the spinning stops. It takes around 15 minutes to slowly, weakly make it around my feet. My hope was to replace my scrubbing with pumice stones, as the adverts suggest. I regret buying it. I read so many good reviews, them some bad. I decided to risk it. Ah well.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOOVES BE GONE!, 19 Jun. 2015
I am 44. Prior to owning and using this product I had always considered my feet to be hooves. Now they are beautifully smooth, and resemble a human foot. I wish I had used this product earlier! Fabulous stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Hard Skin Remover for Feet, 24 Aug. 2014
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Being Diabetic, I find that circulation problems often
leave my feet with either peeling patchy skin or hard
skin areas, so I thought that I would try this gizmo.

Until now, I have used several types of Emery Board
foot scraper available from High Street stores
and whilst they do remove some skin debris I always
found that I had to continually moisturise my feet
to keep them from itching and feeling really rough
on the bed linen.

This Scholl product is similar to an emery board in
that it does the same job, but it rotates and works
without the puffing and panting that a manual remover
was causing this older person.

One advantage is that you cannot press too hard on the
skin, if you do, the gizmo stops, so no friction burns.

It works well, leaving an all over smooth effect and
does exactly what it claims to do.
Comes with batteries supplied and you can buy refill
heads of varying strengths.

Recommended. 5 Star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving a small fortune in bed sheets., 21 Jun. 2014
Treated my husband one of these for Father's Day as he has dry skin on his heels (due to wearing safety shoes) that would wear holes in bed sheets. First use was notable for the large white dust cloud generated as the roller chuffed the dead skin away but the end results were excellent. Works well on dry or just washed skin, dry knee caps are also fair game. Socks now slip on the feet with ease and no more torn bed sheets. One moan, pity that Scholl didn't put a power socket in the base in the event the batteries are running low. Other than that, a very good product.