5.0 out of 5 stars Pure aural pleasure . . . . . . .
Published 7 months ago by Deefur Douglas

2.0 out of 5 stars Balance 024 - Danny Howells - A Balanced Review
OK. First things first, the beauty of music is that it creates and divides opinion.

Published 7 months ago by mattthebull

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure aural pleasure . . . . . . ., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Well where to start with this..............as soon as it was announced that Danny was to mix the latest Balance I was a tad excited. Having seen him live on a few occasions I know what he brings to the party, his breadth of knowledge and passion for music is second to none. If you want quality music to take you on a musical journey then both of these cd's do that in droves.

CD one is like a fantastic sunrise that just makes you smile from the inside out, music so delicately interwoven that it can only be describes as beautiful.

CD two starts off where CD one left off then picks up the pace, by the middle of the mix it starts to rock like a firework in a quarry. The beat just gets under your skin, proper grown up electronica. So good even my ears were smiling.

Good work Danny, this is a belter!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality release from one of the UKs finest, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Been a huge fan of Dannys since his GU releases and have seen him live a few times since. His attention to detail and track selection live is second to none. This Mix CD is pure class from the start with both CDs having a similar kind of vibe. Some excellent tracks on here and the mix flows nicely. I prefer CD1 myself out of the 2 with a more relaxed housey feel about it. Fully recommend for anyone who likes there tunes melodic and deep

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mix, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Really looked forward to this as ive got most of Dannys mixes and have really enjoyed them. How good was 24/7 Day Mix? or his Renaissance the mix collection? So he was more than worthy to be on the list of DJ's to mix a compilation for balance. After Radio Slaves weak effort it needed something edgy and different with a bit of spice - and Danny delivers. Like most if not all CD compilations one CD is better than the other - more daring more creative more enjoyable. That goes to the THIS mix, really thoughtful flow and stands out as something that you don't hear in a set very often. THAT mix is nothing you havent heard before and not as inspiring - expected more, but still well worth the nod and one of the better mixes in the series by a mile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Jan 2014
M. Hayes (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Good mixes but still think his Global Underground 027 Miami from 2005 is the more complete journey, plus the GU offering is the better package - and that's just the photography in the booklet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
The doyen returns with his inimitable style for the first time in five years. On first play I loved it, but as with all Howells mixes, it gets better with every listen. Although not his best mix, which is understandable given his incredible back catalogue, it is still the best album I have heard all year. Lets hope we don't have to wait five years until the next one. Thanks Daniel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Balance 024 - Danny Howells - A Balanced Review, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)

I have followed dance since the early days, and have in my CD collection over 600 CDs from the likes of Digweed, Sasha, Nick Warren, Oakenfold, Steve Lawler. I have all the Balance CDs, all the Global Undergrounds, have all the Northern Exposures/Communicates etc. Point is I feel I have a position in which to gauge the overall standard of this mix.

Also worth noting that I have seen the man himself on a number of occasions, and I concur with others his energy, passion and knowledge are unquestionable.

To the mix itself. Personally I prefer the more progressive, deep side of house. I am not a fan at all of the minimalist electro sound that has graced much of the mix releases in the past few years. I am more Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo's latest Renaissance (uplifting progressive as well as the down tempo mixes on both discs).

Having listened to the Howells mix 3 times now, I have to say other than maybe one or two tracks on CD 2 I am left pretty underwhelmed. I too was looking forward to this with eager anticipation, however I find the mixes lacked any energy, depth, passion, substance. It all felt a little to over complicated and over thought.

Anyone liking this to Northern Exposure and the like is well off the mark. The first CD ambles along from electro to down beat house and minimalist house, and like most complilations these days I had this as the more chilled out mixes that accompany many double disk compilations.

Moving onto disc 2 I anticipated more energy, more substance, but frankly it was more of the same. It does begin to get going towards the end of disc 2, however by that stage after 2 hours of "build up" the set is over before it got going.

If you are reading this and are more into this sound than mine, I would suggest listening to Henry Saiz's efforts to get a good benchmark of the possibilities.

Personally, when I compare this to other Balance releases, such as Nick Warren's Nic Fancuilli's I find Danny's release as pale in comparison, which is a real real shame, as I have a massive amount of time for his DJ ing.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Without a doubt I have to say that this is the best thing I have listened to this year. Even my hubby who is not really into this genre of music really liked it so much in fact he has nicked CD2 (my favourite) for his car. I an recommending this to all of my friends. Fantastic Tunes!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Howells Ballance 24, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Having been a avid fan of high quality dance music for over 20 years and purchasing many compilations I have been lucky enough to land a early copy of this double disc CD. Admittedly I have not bought that much new music of late- being a dad of two doesn't allow that much time to properly listen to music and there hasn't been that much new that has excited me to be honest, but this is something else.

Although I only received this last night I have listed to both Discs twice.

The 1st disc is called "this" and this is excellent, the 2nd disc is called "that" and that is even better......

Stand out tracks on" this" are Tracks 10 Sisterhood and 11 Robot needs oil
Stand out tracks on "that" are , god where do I start..... all of them... just buy it and find out for yourself, you wont be disappointed!

For any fan of this type of music I would recommend Balance 024

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as i hoped, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Was expecting a lot more from this comp based on previous offerings from Danny and seeing him live.....its mediocre to be brutally honest.....it pains me to write that but its true.....never really gets going.....a tad bland.....there are better offerings out there if you are looking for a smooth, soulful, deep and melodic semi-prog journey!.......John Talabots DJ Kicks as an example.....I bought the two CDs together and Talabots wins the fight into the Car stereo every time!....

5.0 out of 5 stars The bar has been raised!, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells (Audio CD)
Danny really has rasied the bar with this one! Superb from start to finish! Full of energy, creativity and amazing beats, a MUST have if you know your House music!

Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells
Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)