Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 May 2011
This is a collection of the Dylan songs which appeared on Barb Jungr's last four Linn releases plus four songs which have been recorded specially for this album. So there are new songs for everyone here, but even if you already own some or all of the previously released stuff it's nice to have the Dylan songs all collected together and in a different order than that to which you've previously been accustomed.

The album has been released to coincide approximately with Bob Dylan's seventieth birthday, but it's no last-minute catchpenny effort. It's not a thoughtless gathering of Dylan's greatest hits tossed out to ride on the interest aroused by that birthday. Jungr has been living with and singing these songs for a considerable time. Of course some of them are familiar to everyone, but others are less well-known, less frequently performed, even by Dylan himself.

Because of the nature of this CD, its songs having been recorded over a period of a number of years, there is a pleasing variety of arrangements and accompanying instrumentation apparent from song to song. However, what does not vary is Barb Jungr's insight and ability to reach right into the heart of a song and lay it bare. And while we're talking about variety, listen to the changes in the colour and timbre of her voice in High Water (for Charlie Patton). Elsewhere, the voice changes from wistful in Tomorrow Is A Long Time to gospel-inflected while she and Mr Dylan point out our shortcomings in Trouble In Mind, but everywhere it's the voice of a woman who knows what she is about and whose voice would be worth listening to even is she weren't singing songs by the greatest songwriter ever.

My favourite songs here are Man In The Long Black Coat which I've always loved, High Water and Blind Willie McTell which comes so close to breaking my heart every time I hear it. And the others aren't bad either. Listen to this CD and you'll hear versions of these songs which will stick in your head and your heart for ever - in a good way. Forget birthday tributes; this is timeless stuff.

Incidentally, at the time of writing, the Amazon website shows only eleven songs on this CD. There are in fact thirteen - With God On Our Side and I Shall Be Released are there too.
on 29 June 2012
Didn't disappoint - she is always so good, whatever she sings. If you haven't heard her - you must put that right straight away.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
The first Barb Jungr album I bought was her 2002 Dylan 'covers' album on Linn, 'Every Grain of Sand', on the strength of a favourable review in Mojo, I recall. Not my usual thing by any stretch but I loved it; partly being a Dylan nut but also because of Jungr herself... she's got a superb voice and a very sincere, individual singing stlye, wonderfully well suited to Dylan. (Especially live, if you ever have a chance). So I bought all her other records, her earlier Brel album 'Chanson' (2000) plus all the subsequent albums that Linn then put out between 2003 and 2008, each of which included a couple of Dylan 'covers' apieice: namely: 'Waterloo Sunset', 'Love Me Tender', 'Walking In The Sun' and 'Just Like A Woman'. BUT BUYER BEWARE: this record, 'Man In The Long Black Coat', simply brings together all nine individual Dylan covers from those four albums. Naturally, I avoided buying it, since I already have the songs. But then Linn went and did something predictably maddening: they plonked an extra 4 brand new Dylan covers (not available elsewhere) at the end of the record: brilliant new, stripped-down versions of Sara, Man In The Long Black Coat, It Ain't Me Babe and With God On Our Side. Having heard her sing them all live, especially Sara, which she always sings so beautifully, my hand was forced. But I was loathe to buy a CD for 4 songs. Why do they do that?! It really irritates me the way record companies knowingly supplement compilations of old material with a few rarities or new songs in an attempt to draw diehard fans and newcomers alike. It feels borderline exploitative and is a real bête noire of mine. They could have put the 4 tracks out as a cheaper EP or as a self-contained bonus disc on a limited presssing of a future record (Dylan himself has done this). That would even have allowed for an 'expanded reissue' of 'Every Grain Of Sand' with the other 9 (previously released) songs included. Everybody wins! Having said all that... not by any stretch is this record to be avoided. If you only own 'Every Grain of Sand' and want a shortcut into Jungr's other Dylan covers then it's a no-brainer I guess. But my thinking is that most folk with a real liking for her would want to hear the non-Dylan tracks on those albums too. She's more than just a re-interpreter of Dylan after all. Plus she's since included another brace of Dylan covers on her two latest albums (You Ain't Going Nowhere on 'The Men I Love' and 'Lay Lady Lay' on the forthcoming 'Stockport To Memphis'), which, being on Naim rather than Linn, aren't featured here. So it's not like this CD can even be considered definitive. Jungr devotees are far better off doing as I ended up doing: don't buy the whole CD, simply downloaded the 4 new tracks. Easy enough to re-create the full playlist in iTunes if so desired. Plus then you can also include the Dylan songs from her two albums on Naim! However you go about acquiring records by this singular artist, just make sure you do buy something. The aim of this review is not put off newcomers - I'm a huge Barb Jungr fan (went to a gig she did on my first date with my now wife!). Just a cautionary tale for those in my position. All others can proceed without hesitation (and please excuse my cynicism).
on 22 November 2012
Some great songs, with wonderful lyrics, great "production" and sound as in all of her albums, so much so that I am convinced I want to see her Live and have tickets to see her in Hove in the New Year.
on 22 March 2014
Barb sings/performs/interprets all her material better than anyone else I know of. The arrangements and performances here project the power and narrative of the chosen Bob Dylan songs with clarity.
on 26 May 2014
Great songs by Bob Dylan well sung by Barb Jungr. Refreshing arrangements which represent effective reinterpretations of well known songs
on 16 June 2011
13 Dylan songs, 9 of which have appeared on previous CDs, so only 4 ''new'' tracks. The interpretations are beautiful, sometimes unexpected and always provoking - much like Dylan's constant re-working of his own songs in fact. So, why only 3 stars? Well, and although ''quantity'' is no measure of quality, this is effectively a re-issued compilation CD and lasts only an hour - leaving almost 20 minutes of disc space unused. This is explained, in part, in the liner notes and is caused by the slightly random decision to include only the ''post - Every Grain of Sand'' recordings - why? This would have been an even better CD with the addition of 4 or 5 tracks from that Album and would have helped justify a fairly high price for, basically, 4 new tracks, particularly as downloads/i-tunes etc allow us to create our own ''compilation'' preferences if that's what we want. Having said that, the 4 new tracks are almost the best of the bunch - it is a fantastic CD and if you don't have any of her previous CDs and want to hear her sing only Dylan songs this is probably the better of the 2 because of the variety mentioned in other reviews.
on 16 February 2012
Barb has always been a great singer. This album is no exception. A little 'alternative' in parts but on the whole, good fun!
on 9 September 2011
Barb Jungr was born Barbara Dwyer and is half German on her mother Ingrid's side.
When she began recording she took her mother's maiden name anticipating the jokes which would be made if she went out as Barb Dwyer
All her albums are full of cover versions and this is a giant plus factor.
We need more like her and less singer songwriters
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse