5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, varied, surprising
Published 14 months ago by Zanamo

Quite disappointing actually, I was expecting to enjoy reading some new and different poetic styles, but most poems did not grab me. I barely got involved with any of them. Compared with a very new book I recently reviewed, I felt a lot of these were turgid!
Published 8 months ago by Miss L Toe

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, varied, surprising, 28 Dec. 2013
This anthology is a really good overview of 2013 in poetry, which serves as a kind of index, pointing readers on to further reading. (Michael Symmons Roberts Drysalter, Sinead Morrissey's Parallax...) I relished the "highly commended" section for Danny Abse's rich, funny tale of cowardice and copulating cats in Istanbul, and the Best Single Poem section for a sweet-toothed-horror-story by Patience Agbabi, written after touring Harewood House (built on the proceeds of slavery and sugar). New discoveries include Steve Ely, a voice of real strength from Yorkshire, violent, tender and learned in the ways of both dogs and God - an unusual combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely poetry, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Forward Book of Poetry 2014 (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Once again The Forward Prize does not disappoint with this thought provoking collection of poetry. A lovely book to dip into when the thirst for beautiful language overcomes you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good flavour of contemporary poetry, 2 Mar. 2014
A compendium of poetry by winning and short listed poets of the Forward prize. Of interest to poets developing their skills and those who enjoy contemporary poetry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs time, 4 Nov. 2013
I have only dipped into the first few pages so far. I don't think one should just plough ahead with poem after poem. Reflection is needed and choosing appropriate times to read. As a result the four stars is based only on a half dozen or so pages but they were good. I should imagine I will have maybe half a year's good dipping from this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting to enjoy reading some new and different poetic styles, 2 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Mar. 2014
Really great to have such quick and easy access to perry of today. I'm a teacher and it gave me some great fresh material for the classroom. But also, I enjoyed it profoundly on a personal level. Will definitely get the others!

5.0 out of 5 stars I read and write lots of poetry, 2 Mar. 2014
Good selection of various types of verse, covering many differing genre aspects. A good book well written and well recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 28 Mar. 2014
Could not understand most of it, I'm a traditionalist and like my poetry to flow, most of these poems are all chopped up words and have no logic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forward Thinking Poetry, 5 Nov. 2013
This book contains some very interesting, creative poems and showcases some of the best modern poetry. I found that some poems I had to read over and over again to grasp their full meaning which is always a sign of a great poem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great poetry, 16 Aug. 2014
Wonderful book, with a wide range of styles and subjects.