5.0 out of 5 stars Last Tango in Halifax
Published 9 months ago by cattango

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank heavens it's the last tango.
Described as darkly funny. It's not even that. It's awful. And boring to tears as well. It just never gets going. 20 minutes is all I could stand of it. It's with the charity shop.
Published 3 months ago by beau nydle

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Tango in Halifax, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
As a Yorkshire woman living in Cornwall I love the way these DVD's take me back home. Apart from the scenery, the "home" feeling comes from the fact that Derek Jacobi, who I love in whatever he does, plays Alan in such a way that he reminds me of my gentle, kind and sometimes naughtily, humourous Dad. He died 11 years ago but, to paraphrase Celia, I miss him every day. So thank you Derek for giving me this way to sort of visit my Dad whenever I want to.

I can't imagine what this would have been like if different actors had been employed. As it is the cast is brilliant, they feel like a real family with all it's dis-functions and complications. I think this series might be bringing out the very best in all of them. This probably comes down, partly at least, to the writer, someone who understands human nature and presents it with such humour and compassion.

I can dip into any of the episodes at any time and know it will leaving me feeling happy. It's especially good when I'm missing my home and family, or just feeling disillusioned with life. It's also especially good when I'm feeling happy! In fact it can't go wrong as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV Series, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
If I could have given more stars I would - havings watched this series on BBC couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD. Will watch over and over again. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars last tango in Halifax box set, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love this programme. Good, honest, English drama with characters that are truly believable. It's not often you get a drama that from the word go is captivating, let alone when a second series comes along the story and the characters haven't been changed at all. Which makes the drama so much better!
3 hours goes so quickly :)
I must confess I was concerned about it on DVD, sometimes a series that gets put on DVD has bits missing from what is seen on the tv but I do have to say I was wrong to be so doubting. Nothing has been cut out, it is exactly as it was n the tv!!
I highly recommend this, it's so good that there are not enough words to say how truly wonderful this programme is!

5.0 out of 5 stars super story, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant story of what happens in true life. Great to be able to watch more than one episode at a time

5.0 out of 5 stars puts HALIFAX on the map, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
great entertainment typically A1 performances from all the cast DRAMATIC AND COMEDIC .families middle age and oldies will love this series

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb drama, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Last Tango in Halifax has it all - romance, humour, drama, superb cast and acting, love it love it love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB!, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this on the tele and really enjoyed it.
Made me laugh ( I don't find much funny on the tele) and the acting is superb.
Derek Jakoby, Anne Reid and Sarah Lancashire, the list could go on.........fantastic.
Very funny and very believable antics of families and their problems.
Romantic and upbeat.
Looking forward to watching it, and showing my friends who missed the original tele series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched series 1 & 2 on tv which I really enjoyed. Very entertaining & characters we can all relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner in Halifax, 24 Jun 2014
Mr. C. W. Hargreaves (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
We loved this show.
Sat through all the episodes over 3 nights.
It may be we're a little biased. My folks come from Bradford (just around the corner from Halifax for those who don't know the area) but there were so many twists and turns that anyone could enjoy this series. You'll be amazed at how much can happen to two families, but just when you thought it was getting a little over the top, the plot (s) get right back on track and make perfect sense.
Great script, great cast and strong performances all 'round. For anyone that likes quirky realistic comedy with just the right touch of drama: this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a superb series., 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Had to purchase the box set as made mistake recording the final episode of Series 2 from TV...ran late and recording stopped before end which made the 'better half' rather upset so bought both series to appease her. I did not watch the first series but having watched it now I can only say what a well written, well acted and humorous series these have been. All the main characters are so beautifully portrayed by the actors and draw into the story. Let's hope a third series is on the way.

Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Last Tango in Halifax - Series 1-2 [DVD] by Jill Robertson (DVD - 2014)