on 6 March 2014
The physical installation of this card was an extremely simple affair. Inateck included accessories in the box to accommodate several different system configurations. For providing power directly to the card instead of letting it draw through the motherboard, there is a SATA power splitter along with a 4-pin Molex to SATA y-adapter harness, which allows you to connect to both old and current generation power supplies. A standard mounting bracket comes pre-installed on the card, but a short bracket is also included in the box for small form factor cases. The card also has a 20-pin USB 3.0 header on its rear for connecting other USB expansion ports to it (such as a front panel device).

Being a PCI-E 1x card, you can install this into any available PCI-E slot in your system regardless of size, from 1x to 16x. Installing the card into a larger slot won't provide any additional speed, but it will still work just fine.

Speaking of speed, I performed both synthetic and real-world benchmarks to compare this expansion card to the built-in USB2.0 ports in my system. My test system was a Dell XPS9100 tower (i7-930 processor with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) in conjuction with a Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0 portal hard drive.

Using CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3a, I obtained the following results:

Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Read, 1000MB: 49.34 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Write, 1000MB: 48.75 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Read, 512KB: 25.05 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Write, 512KB: 12.88 MB/s

The synthetic benchmarks show an increase in speed using the Inateck USB3.0 expansion card, especially for sequential reads and writes, but it's not as large of a margin as I was expecting. Of course, synthetic benchmarks are just that; they don't necessarily indicate real-world performance. As they say, that's why we run the races. For a more realistic test, I transferred some 10GB and 15GB files back and forth to the drive. The below figures are from each test after the transfer speeds leveled out. For the write tests going from the Desktop to the Portable Drive, I've also listed the initial speeds from the first few seconds of the transfer in parentheses after the leveled out speeds.

Dell USB2.0 10GB file, Read: 31.9 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 10GB file, Read: 86.4 MB/s

Dell USB2.0 15GB file, Write: 42.7 MB/s (initial speed: 86.4 MB/s)
Inateck USB3.0 15GB file, Write: 73.3 MB/s (initial speed: 170 MB/s)

As you can see, there is a much greater difference between the USB3.0 and USB2.0 speeds in the real world file transfer tests. The Inateck USB3.0 expansion card has been a breath of fresh air for moving large files between my portable drive and my desktop computer. More and more external hard drives on the market these days are using USB3.0, so making the small investment to upgrade your computer with USB3.0 connections will help you make the most of your hard drive purchase by enabling it to use the maximum transfer speeds possible.

My only minor issue with this package at all was with the instructions - specifically, the support page link. A driver disc is included in the package, but I always recommend visiting a manufacturer's website to get the most up-to-date drivers for your system when installing new hardware. In the instructions, it tells you to visit a website to obtain the current drivers, but the website address has a typo in it ("dirvers" instead of "drivers"), and the link given is also for the German version of the website. I instead went to the "Inateck.com" English website, which I found much easier to navigate. I also found newer versions of the drivers listed there than on their German page.

I used the drivers on the included disc during my initial installation of this card, but I had problems with my USB drive disconnecting and reconnecting during my tests. Uninstalling those drivers and installing the newest drivers from the website (listed in the comments section of this review) solved my problem. At the time of this review, the newest Windows 7 driver is Version 3.5.106.0.

All in all, I was very impressed with the performance increase I saw after installing this card and using it with my USB3.0 portable hard drive. Inateck's package is well thought out and easy to install; I would highly recommend this card to anyone looking to upgrade their computer with USB3.0 support.

Review disclosure: I was provided a sample of this product for the purposes of examination and review. No review or particular rating was promised in return, and the opinions expressed here are my own following my first-hand experiences with this product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having gone through some reviews, I was cautious that the Inateck would have compatibility issues with my external WD drives. So once mounted I immediately connected my 3 WD external drives, including the latest 2TB My Passport Ultra, and am pleased to report that I have no problems whatsoever.

Installing the card is very easy, and no force is needed to secure it in place. The bundled accessories come in very handy, as the USB card needs to be powered via the included cable in order to function. A set of mounting screws are also included for those with older style cases.

The comprehensive English only, (I hate going through a manual with a zillion languages) well laid out colour user guide should be read prior to proceeding with the installation.
It specifically mentions "Please make sure the hardware is installed before installing the driver". The mentioned driver is on an included CD.

Supported systems are Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32&64 bit)

My Windows 7 64bit recognised and installed the corresponding drivers in a jiffy.

I have had no problems whatsoever with this USB3 card, and definitely give it the thumbs up. Great buy!
on 30 December 2013
The Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card is a great little upgrade for the price.

***** In the box: *****

Upon opening the box, i found the PCI-E card which was nicely protected in an antistatic bag.
1 x spare back plate and screws, to allow the PCI-E card to be fitted into a small chassis that requires a half height card.
1 x SATA power splitter - to allow a single SATA power cable to be slit into 2.
1 x IDE power adapter - to allow a single IDE power connector to be converted to 2 SATA power connectors.
1 x User Manual
1 x Driver CD

***** The installation is very easy: *****

* Open the chassis and locate the PCI-E slot.
* Slot the PCI-E to USB 3.0 card into the slot and screw it in.
* attach a spare SATA power cable to the card (or use one of the supplied power Y cables).
* Boot the computer and then install the driver (I chose to go straight to Inateck.com and download the latest driver, but a driver is supplied on CD with the card).

***** Testing *****

Unfortunately my aging motherboard is only equipped with a PCI-E v1.0 slot, so i knew that i wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the theoretical 5Gbps transfer speeds that the card could possibly manage when using a PCI-E v2.0 slot, but i hoped that the card would offer atleast a small boost in transfer speeds over my current USB 2 connection.

I ran a CrystalDisk Mark test on my Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD connected to my usual USB 2 interface - the Sequential Read speed was 36.09 MB/s while the Sequential Write speed was 27.35 MB/s.

I then connected the Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD to the new Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card and ran the CrystalDisk Mark test again. This time, the Sequential Read speed went up to 112.7 MB/s (almost 3 times as fast as USB 2), while the Sequential Write speed went up to 111.7 MB/s - just over 4 times as fast as when using the USB 2 connection.

// See product images for screen shots \\

A huge improvement in both read and write speeds - much better than i was expecting to get from my PCI-E v1.0 slot.

***** Conclusion *****

Overall, i am extremely happy with the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card and would definitely recommend buying one if your current motherboard does not have USB 3.0 capabilities.

The increased data transfer speeds are more than i was expecting and the card itself, seems to be of good quality and the black back plate of the card looks great.

The bundled power cables and the inclusion of the half-height back plate complete, make this a great value for money product and i will definitely be buying another one to use in my HP MicroServer.
review image review image
on 19 March 2015
This was easy to install in my Dell XPS 8300, running W7. Before it was delivered I received an email from the makers, via Amazon, saying that I should download the driver from their website, rather than use that on the supplied CDrom.
My problem was that the supplied sata "Y'' power lead was not long enough, being only about six inches (15cm). I had to order a 12in male to female extender from Amazon. I tried using the card without the power connected but could get no joy.
Before ordering this card I suggest you look inside your computer to see if the you will need to buy an extension lead.
Recommended.
on 17 July 2013
I have installed this card in a 2010 Mac Pro and it works out of the box. It is recognised by Mountain Lion (10.8.4) as USB 3.0 Superspeed Bus. I believe it has the same Fresco chipset that Apple use in their hardware.

The card does require additional SATA power, for this I used a SATA extension cable (search Amazon for: 0.3M Internal SATA Power Extension Cable) and cut the guide off one side so it fits into the motherboard socket on drive bay 4. Alternatively you could use one of the included splitters for multiple cards or molex connection.

Currently I only have a USB 3.0 card reader, so haven't really been able to put it through it's paces, but transfers do seem noticeably quicker.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As promised, this card arrived on Monday [a little late in the day, but these guys are busy] having ordered it the day before - last Sunday 2nd February 2014.

Because it arrived in the evening I thought it best to leave installing it until the following morning; however, my wife reminded me of the early appointments I needed to attend and pointed out it was only 1800hrs or so, plenty of time to add a few "silly USB 3.0 thingies" before bedtime. Besides, she said, I was dead clever so it would not take long. Well, I am not really all that 'dead clever' and quite frankly, I was worried I would make a hash of fitting the card.

As it turned out, including shutting down my PC and firing it up again after fitting the card took no more than 20 minutes. It was easy and because of the instruction booklet, I had no difficulty in understanding how to get the power to the unit. I installed the drivers from the supplied CD and bingo! I have four extra USB 30 slots on the rear of my tower.

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and the card was recognized immediately.

My concerns regarding the possibility I had purchased a card that was meant to be fitted to a USB 2.0 MOBO were unfounded. My MOBO is a Gigabyte-78LMT-USB 3.0 and the transfer speeds are phenomenal. The reason I was worried stems from an earlier experience with card reader unit for the front panel of one of my other PC's which also has a USB 3.0 MOBO [an Asus in this case] and the unit had four USB 3.0 slots as well as the card readers so I thought it a great buy; however, the description was not very clear - whenever are they? - and as a result, the USB 3.0 slots did not work at all, and still do not - worse, the card reader has given up the ghost too - all because it was not made clear that the unit was designed to be fitted to a USB 2.0 MOBO and the USB 3.0 slots whilst accepting USB 3.0 flash drives and external USB 3.0 hard drives was only intended to 'upgrade' At least, that is how I see it, perhaps someone has a different idea?

In any event, the Inatek Superspeed 4 PCI-E x1 to USB 3.0 Expansion Card was easy peasy to fit and works wonderfully well - so far anyway, it has, after all, only been installed for a couple of days. If I do not add to this post, then you can assume it still is.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had a Windows 7 (previously Windows Vista) in my living room serving as a media center for a few years. The PC works fine, but over time it had become noticeably slow compared to the new machines I have. I've upgraded memory and that has helped a lot. Now I had an opportunity to upgrade the USB slots to the latest 3.0 standard, and that has made more of a difference than I had originally anticipated.

The first thing you notice about this expansion card is its build quality. This is not some cheap knock-off card, but a well-designed and solidly manufactured piece of hardware. The card was easy to install - it just snapped into the appropriate slot. Most of the modern PCs are designed with the upgradability in mind, and many of them can be opened and upgraded without requiring any tools. However, if you have never upgraded a computer or are generally elecronics-phobic, you might want to consult with a family member or a friend who is more into these tasks.

The card was immediately recognized by my system, but only as a 2.0 USB standard. I installed the additional drivers that came with the included CD, and after that the card worked as advertised. I only have a handful of external USB 3 accessories (including a USB 3.0 HDD), but the card worked perfectly with all of them. The transfer speeds were quite noticeable faster, but I haven't really benchmarked them.

The reason why this card is particularly useful in the media center is a) helps with the playback of large video files directly from an external HDD, and b) USB 3 allows you (with appropriate add-ons and software) to use it to for additional monitors and TVs.

This is indeed a very good card that has completely lived up to its promise. I highly recommend it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After reading many customer reviews of similar products I decided to purchase this Interteck PCI-E card. The fact that it required its slot own power supply did not put me off. I did however note from some reviews that if all USB's on these cards are used without a separate power supply speed could be an issue. The card was easy to fit in a spare PCI slot in my 64 bit computer. I had already received an email from Amazon advising me to download the up to date driver from Inateck's website as the included DVD might not contain the up to date driver. I duly downloaded the driver installed it and hey presto everything worked correctly. I had no difficulty connecting the on board power supply with one the included power cables. Does what it says on the box.

UPDATE 02/09/2014
Windows Home Premium 64bit Gigabite motherboard.
I am adding to this review after using the card to update my storage of images on external hard drives. I have been copying images from one USB2 external hard drive to another USB2 external drive, some file sizes are in excess of 25Mb. Using USB2 connections I was getting transfer speeds up to 6Mb per second. Using the USB3 connections of this card I am getting speeds of up to 18 Mb per second a vast improvement over USB2 connection. The card is fast! Have not yet used a USB3 hard drive but suspect that transfer speed will be much greater than the 18 Mb on the USB2 Hard drives. Very please with this result - my computer has a new lease of life!
on 2 February 2015
very poor quality every time I switched on computers windows 7 could not find it returned it and had a refund
update on this review, having now had fantastic back up from Cookie at Inateck,they have sorted out the problem that I was having with the key board , mouse and remote hard drive not working at start up, no F keys?
the problem was not the Inateck usb board but a pci board design. having now moved all units around every thing works fine,
many thanks to Cookie and Inateck for the replacement board and all there help
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 January 2015
Worked out of the box - didn't interfere with the operation of any other installed software, something that Windows 8/8.1 has had problems with regarding USB 3.

Build quality is as it should be - connectors are solid and secure.

Driver Installation: if you are running Windows 8.1, Windows installs the drivers and you are good to go - ordinarily I would also say you should be fine with Windows 8.0, but this might not be the case as Windows 8.0 was squirrelly with drivers in the early days.

I did some simple file speed transfer tests - here are the results (All using Seagate 500GB USB 2 (Bus powered) External Drive, copying single file of 1.7GB)
Straight to the USB 3 socket - 40 seconds
Via the 19-pin Connector - 42 seconds

For the record my older no-name USB 3 card (59 seconds) was hardly quicker than the motherboard's USB 2 at 61 seconds.

I also observed the transfer speed is flat, hardly any speed fluctuation, highly recommended.

(I'll update this when I get a USB 3 Drive)
Well the USB 3 Drive arrived - Western Digital 1TB My Passport Ultra:
Transfer times for both USB 3 & via 19-pin Connector are now a very satisfying 16 seconds.