5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best value DSLR I have had
Currently use a variety of Nikon DSLRs. D3s, D3, D700, D7100 and have to say that this D610 along with my D7100 which I use for travel and lightweight work has to be the sharpest, lightest and most versatile camera I have owned.

Amazing ISO control at 4000 iso and tack sharp images.

Would not hesitate to suggest this purchase.
Forget spending...
Published 5 months ago by Hamish Scott-Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars ... after comming off the Olympus OM series (a most fantastic 35mm camera) and
Well its my first dlsr after comming off the Olympus OM series (a most fantastic 35mm camera) and....its not point and shoot and its big and heavy (in comparison to the Olympus). The 24-85 mm lens has to be on F22 for the camera to work and even then selection of manual does not totally overide the camera which sometimes refuses to let me do the settings. The camera...
Published 24 days ago by RTW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best value DSLR I have had, 25 Mar 2014
Hamish Scott-Brown "Hamish Scott-Brown" (Lucca , Toscana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D610 Digital SLR Camera (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)

Amazing ISO control at 4000 iso and tack sharp images.

Would not hesitate to suggest this purchase.
Forget spending twice the price on a D800 or even a D4.....use the rest of your spare saved cash on a few good lenses and an air ticket somewhere cool to use it with confidence.

Amazing camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you always wanted your D7000 to be, 3 April 2014
I moved to the D610 from a D7000 after a lot of consideration. The D800 is still quite a bit more expensive, and the thought of those massive RAW files making my computer crash worried me, so the D610 seemed like a more sensible option. My only concern was whether it represented a big enough up-grade from the D7000, particularly when the D7100 is out there with a better spec- well I believe it does!

The layout of the two cameras is almost identical, although the D610 now has the ISO adjustment button in the lowest position, which is more sensible. The similarity was really convenient, as the D610 felt familiar straight out of the box and I felt comfortable using it immediately without having a prolonged learning curve, which I am sure I would have needed with a D800. The D7000 had two weaknesses in my opinion, which were that both the autofocus system and the metering could be quite unreliable, leading to a large number of wasted shots. The D610 seems to suffer from neither of these problems, and I've hardly missed a shot. I know the two cameras technically have the same 39-point system, but it certainly feels like this has been tweaked. The common system was something that bothered me a bit, as on a full-frame camera the points are concentrated in the center of the viewfinder, so you need to focus and recompose a lot of the time. In reality, I have not found this to be a problem at all, and the focus system is spot on most of the time.

The image quality is just superb, with the 24mp sensor giving really clean, detailed images: enough to crop significantly, which I was never that comfortable doing previously. But what has really impressed me is what happens when you raise the ISO, as the camera delivers usable images with ISO right up to 6400. OK, you need some noise reduction in post-processing, but the fact that it delivers anything decent at all at such a high setting is really impressive. The "expanded" ISO settings don't really cut it though, and I cannot imagine anyone using them.

One criticism I have read is that the display screen has an odd green tint to it, which my copy did indeed have and I found it really unacceptable. However, I also read somewhere that this is something which disappears after a few hundred shots, and despite thinking that this sounded unlikely it was in fact the case, and the display is now fine.

In summary, the D610 is everything I always wanted the D7000 to be, and I am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a fantastic camera, 8 May 2014
I, like many people spent ages looking at various camera manufacturers, as well as whether to go FX or DX, mirrorless etc etc. There comes a time when after reading at all the reviews and watching all the user videos and working out your budget, you have to make a choice. So I took the plunge and went with what my heart told me and had been telling me from the start, and I was not disappointed.

This camera is fantastic, but to get the best out of it you need to set up custom settings for your own personal preferences and there are loads. It's great out the box, but believe me go through the manual (345 pages long), a few pages at a time and play with camera settings, also watch videos on it's contols because some are multifunctional when combined with other buttons. There is a lot to learn, but you will become a better photographer for it. I have quite small hands, but even when I combined this with a 3rd party battery grip, it just felt natural to hold. The balance is superb and the buttons and wheels are just in the right position.

I not going into the technalcalities of the camera there are far too many, just go out and shoot, re-evaluate and shoot again and customise those settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb successor to my D700, 19 Jan 2014
Mr. T. Baker "Aficionado" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
If you, like me love your D700, and are wondering if the D610 is what you've been waiting for hopefully my experience will be of use. I got to shooting 145000 images on my D700, and it was time to look for a new camera. It was a choice between the D800, and DF and the D610.

So I bought the D610 + a new lens, and still spent less than if I'd gone with one of the other 2 options.

In a nutshell - I've had it about a month and shot about 1600 images with it, and have been very happy.

If like me you like the low light capability of the D700, the D610 is even better by almost a stop imho. I get usable shots at 6400, with a similar grain level to the D700 at 3200 (not grain free, but not problematic). Also, the grain is finer, and therefore in my view less noticeable.

The body is slightly smaller, but still feels great to hold even though I have big hands, although should say that I bought the battery grip right away - haven't tried it without a battery grip.

I'm very happy with the lighter weight of the camera, and build quality is very good.

The double memory card slot is a bonus, which means I can have a continual backup of the shots.

The downsides: you'll have to buy new memory cards (although SD cards are cheaper than CF cards), possibly a bigger harddrive, upgrade lightroom if you use it and a new battery if you want a spare. And some of the buttons have moved a bit.

But overall I'm very pleased, and dont feel that I needed a D800. And the DF, although nice (at twice the price), doesn't have a battery grip which is a deal breaker for me, nor the double card slots. Although I'd have loved the D4's sensor in the DF.

Hope this has been of help to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 22 Nov 2013
A fantastic full-frame camera which offers everything it promises and more. I have been down and out shooting landscapes and macro and I am really not disappointed. Great clarity, easy handling, good solid piece of hi-tech.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very nice - and a great price too!, 5 Jan 2014
My new D610 arrived a couple of days ago - this is my first foray into full frame photography so I guess I'm this camera's target market.

I have to say it feels fabulous in my hand. It's a step up from my previous D3200 which have served me well for the last 18 months or so.

I had some concern as I only paid 1350 for it - some on here suggested Amazon were selling grey market imports. I am pleased to say that mine arrived with UK plug, the standard Nikon European warranty card and Nikon registered my serial number for the two year warranty without any issue. In fact the box had a sticker on reminding me to call the UK 0800 number to register for the warranty.

The camera itself is great. Due to weather I have only made it out for one hour since I got it but the photo's are stunning - I bought some FX format lenses to go with it (cost more than the camera!) and I can see a tremendous uplift in the sharpness and light of my images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 11 Dec 2013
M. Clarke (Nottm UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera as an upgrade for my well used D70 which has served me very well. The camera is fantastic, I've shot approximately 1000 frames in the first cpl of weeks and can't put the camera down. The image quality from the full frame sensor is sublime. If your looking for a full frame digital camera buy this one!! (you will not be disappointed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 26 Mar 2014
If like me you have wasted quite a few days researching full frames after owning a DX and still don't know if full frame is worth it. All I can say is just buy it! After upgrading my D90 a while back to a D7100, I always had the D610 pestering my mind, but left it due to the cost. I bit the bullet and went for it. I have no regrets and think there's no time like now to upgrade your lenses also. Absolutely love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon's best, 9 Jan 2014
I've used Nikon cameras for years. This is the one I've fallen for for so many reasons - The sheer quality of the imagery both still and video. The controls are nicely laid out and easy to use. The u1 and u2 controls are brilliant and renders this a better camera than the D800. After sending my D600 back because of the oil spots on the sensor (yes, I was one of the unlucky ones) I decided to go for the D800 but I missed my D600. I'd even argue that the white balance and noise control is far superior on the D600 and now the D610 boasts even better WB and better auto-focussing than the D600. I also love the addition of the 3D level meter which comes in really handy for filming. If I could change one thing it would be to include the Live View Aperture control which is a feature on the D800. It doesn't have it but it's only a small drawback and everything else more than makes up for it. It may be the entry-level full-frame camera for Nikon but they've made this a choice not just for budding amateurs for professionals too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jun 2014
This full frame camera was everything I hoped it would be. Crisp autofocus, easy to use. I have started photographing things I never tried before with my D3200. On the whole I am very satisfied with this camera. It has some very useful features like the scenes mode or can be used with aperture priority and face recognition for the family portraits I mostly wanted this camera for. I switched off the DX crop feature and tried my two DX lenses. The 55 - 200mm lens did not show any vignetting at all and my wide angle 18 - 55 mm lens only had vignetting at 18mm. By accident I had bought a 50mm and an 85mm lens which were full frame lenses so out of my four lenses all four were useable provided I started at 24mm with the wide angle lens. There are a multitude of really smart functions that this camera can do. I will have fun discovering how to use them over the next few months but have been able to quickly get up to speed with the things I want to use most.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›