5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, extremely useful concept
In this day when we think we need to have it all, and all at once, the idea that we should focus on One Thing is refreshing.

The practice introduced in this book, of asking myself each day (or week), 'What one thing, if I did it, would make other things easier or unnecessary?' has changed how I approach prioritising my time.

Very, very useful. If you...
Published 16 months ago by Ottermoon

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this book the ONE?
Being called "The ONE Thing" there is still a lot to take in when reading this book.

Published 12 days ago by Tim Roast

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, extremely useful concept, 29 July 2013

Very, very useful. If you feel scattered, or like you are trying to manage too many things, or not handling things as well as you'd like, then take the time to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 17 Aug 2013
I normally get my books for kindle but decided to buy the real thing with this one.

It was a great read and first time through read it on the plane to US. Have read it again since and keep going back to it

Some really inspiring ideas but laid out very simply, which for me is perfect having a pretty hectic business life

I have already started to implement the teachings in this great book and am already seeing benefits, highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplifies Life, 7 May 2013
Mrs. D. Harrison (UK) - See all my reviews
First, I confess to a lifelong struggle with procrastination and dragging my feet which has turned me into a bit of a productivity junkie.

Having set the scene, I found this book very helpful. The authors use stories to illustrate their premise - which always makes things easier to assimilate and understand - they also draw in threads from other books I have read recently which rather reinforces the points made there.

The book is an easy and enjoyable read but that doesn't mean its message doesn't pack a useful punch. It does. It is motivating as well as informative and practical.

I really liked the fact that the solution proposed is not just work related - the authors encourage you to focus on all domains of life - not, as they point out, to achieve balance but to recognise there is more to life than work.

The tips given about goal setting included the regular stuff that fellow productivity junkies will have read many times before BUT there is also a significant addition. an exercise, which you will almost certainly resist doing but if you do I am certain you will experience one of those 'aha' epiphanies of where it has all been going wrong in the past.

The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is because I think there was a chunk of repeated information at the back of the book which was unnecessary and I also question the price (I bought the KIndle edition) which did seem on the high side. (But that says more about my expectations than the value offered by the book).

Definitely recommended to anyone who is ending each day with a lot crossed off the ubiquitous list but with a sense of no-thing being done.

5.0 out of 5 stars How and why to select and then do only what is most important while ignoring almost everything else, 3 April 2013
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Up front, I want to acknowledge that I think the word "thing" is worthless. Because it can refer to everything (NOT every thing), it refers to nothing. Think about it: "no thing refers to no thing"? Nonetheless, it remains one of the popular words in the English language. This book and its title offer a case in point.

However, semantics aside, with assistance from Jay Papasan, Gary Keller rigorously examines a very important insight: The sharper the focus of our attention and effort, the bettter the result will be: answering the question, solving the problem, achieving the objective...producing the one result... that is MOST IMPORTANT.

When Keller first began to time block, the most effective t**** he did was to put up a sheet of paper that said, "Until My ONE T**** Is Done - Everything Else Is a Distraction!"

These are among the highly informative passages that Keller provides throughout his lively narrative, in addition to a series of effective Figures (not T****s) as well as a "Big Ideas" (not "Big T****s") section at the conclusion of each chapter:

o Six Lies That Are Barriers to Success (Page 30)
o Extreme Pareto (39-41)
o [Brain] Food for Thought (66-67)
o Counterbalancing - the Long and Short of It, and, Life Is a Balancing Act (79-82)
o Going Big (87-91)
o Life Is a Question, and, Anatomy of the Question, (104-110)
o How to make the ONE T**** strong enough to achieve extraordinary results (117-118)
o How and why the path to a great answer begins with a great question (119-127)
o Happiness On Purpose (139-144)
o How and why lives are driven by the purpose they're given (147-154)
o Time Blocking (159-170)
o Three Commitments (176-188)
o The three essential commitments to the ONE T**** (175-188)
o The four "thieves" of productivity (190-206)
o How and why success is an "inside job" (214-216)

Keller obviously understands and appreciates the power of metaphors because he makes such effective use of them. The domino, for example, that serves at least two separate but related functions in his skillful hands: as a cause and as an effect. ONE MOST IMPORTANT T**** leads to (enables) another ONE MOST IMPORTANT T****: Do what must be done (if nothing else) today so that you can then do what must be done (if nothing else) tomorrow; only then can you do what must be done (if nothing else) the day after tomorrow. You get the idea. Throughout this process, keep in mind that whatever else can also be done during this hypothetical three-day time frame is probably a distraction.

As I read and then re-read this book prior to composing my review of it, I was reminded again of two quotations. First, from Abraham Lincoln before power saws were available: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Now, from Peter Drucker: "There is surely nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency what should not be done at all." I agree with Gary Keller that, to achieve extraordinary results, it is imperative to select and then do only what is most important while ignoring almost everything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, quick read., 31 Dec 2013
Ms. A. Bryans (lancashire, uk) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book during the process of starting a business as i wanted help with my organisational skills. I have found the book to be very clear and helpful for that purpose and would recommend it for anybody who needs to bring organisation or focus to any area of their life. The book is well written, engaging and memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your One Thing is to Read the One Thing, 14 Oct 2013
A friend of mine recommended this book to me, and I'm so glad that he did.

The message is simple. In fact it's the title: The One Thing.

But it is, nevertheless, a powerful book.

In a society where multitasking has become a virtue, a book like this has a special place.

It unequivocally reminds as the we're deluding ourselves if we think that we can to two things really well at the same time.

If you think I'm wrong, then read this book. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

If you agree with me, then read this book. It will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read and highly recommended, 15 May 2013
S. Desmond - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and confirm that it is well worth the 5 stars given to it by most reviewers (including those on Amazon.com).

I agree with Robert Morris' earlier review and wish to add the following observations.

The book is well-written, well-thought-out and tightly focused around its core subject.

Its central theme is embodied in a single question: What is the one thing you can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?

The authors throughout convincingly demonstrate how applying this approach to a variety of situations and contexts can help you to acquire more focus on what really matters and thereby become more productive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Helpful, 19 Nov 2014
Fantastic stuff backed by a lot of research. The idea may be simple but it is built around human motivation and productivity. Multi-tasking is a myth! Our brains can really only deal with one thing at a time. Trying to do more just confuses you and you end up doing nothing properly or worthwhile. Like most people my life feels like a steady motion where I lightly touch various aspects of my personal, family and work life. And therein lies the problem because I am not really tackling the ONE thing in each category that will truly make a difference and light up my life. This book has caused me to ask questions about my ONE thing and given me tools for tackling that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this book the ONE?, 6 Dec 2014
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

"The ONE Thing" is about putting your focus into your most important thing, rather than focusing on lots of things, because "if you chase two rabbits... you will not catch either one." Using the ONE Thing approach the authors also help you to aim big - "the moon is reachable if you prioritise everything and put all your energy into accomplishing the most important thing".

The book is split into three sections - the Lies, the Truth, and the Extraordinary Results. "The Lies" section tries to debunk common theories that people hold that are anti-One Thing if you like. For example, the lie that multitasking is good, when in fact "to do two things at once is to do neither".

"The Truth" section goes through the processes you should do to make the ONE Thing work, then "the Extraordinary Results" section gives you the tools to use it to break through the ceiling.

The chapters in the book are arranged with introductions, have key points underlined and end with a Big Ideas section providing a summary of the chapter if you just wanted to skim read through. There are also appropriate quotes from various people dotted through the pages and several diagrams to illustrate some of the concepts explained.

Some of the bits in the book you may have come across before, e.g. how writing and sharing your goals with others makes them more likely to be acted upon, but there is no harm in being reminded of these things. The writing is concept-y so takes some concentration. There is some story-telling in there that makes it more readable, but not enough for me. And the ONE thing idea is stretched a bit, e.g. "...your first ONE Thing is..." (surely there should just be one?). However if you make the effort then reading this book could be worthwhile.

Overall I think the ONE Thing approach could work with the key thing for me being to continually use the "focusing question" - "what's the ONE Thing I could do such that by doing it everything else will be easier on or unnecessary?"

5.0 out of 5 stars provoking, 8 Nov 2014
Simply good food for your mind. A very big swing in thought has just happened. Compounding what I've subliminally always thought. Now I know! ;-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›