5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, extremely useful concept
In this day when we think we need to have it all, and all at once, the idea that we should focus on One Thing is refreshing.

The practice introduced in this book, of asking myself each day (or week), 'What one thing, if I did it, would make other things easier or unnecessary?' has changed how I approach prioritising my time.

Very, very useful. If you...
Published 16 months ago by Ottermoon

1.0 out of 5 stars A pathetic book based on an idea that is meaningless. Avoid!
Bought this book because it looked like a good read. The author has written this around the idea that doing one thing means you will do better and then collects loads of examples where he thinks this is the case. But the idea is based on nothing at all. For example, he cites Apple as focusing on one thing at a time which is ridiculous. People who write on here that they...
Published 5 months ago by John K. Gateley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, extremely useful concept, 29 July 2013

Very, very useful. If you feel scattered, or like you are trying to manage too many things, or not handling things as well as you'd like, then take the time to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 17 Aug 2013
I normally get my books for kindle but decided to buy the real thing with this one.

It was a great read and first time through read it on the plane to US. Have read it again since and keep going back to it

Some really inspiring ideas but laid out very simply, which for me is perfect having a pretty hectic business life

I have already started to implement the teachings in this great book and am already seeing benefits, highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplifies Life, 7 May 2013
Mrs. D. Harrison (UK) - See all my reviews
First, I confess to a lifelong struggle with procrastination and dragging my feet which has turned me into a bit of a productivity junkie.

Having set the scene, I found this book very helpful. The authors use stories to illustrate their premise - which always makes things easier to assimilate and understand - they also draw in threads from other books I have read recently which rather reinforces the points made there.

The book is an easy and enjoyable read but that doesn't mean its message doesn't pack a useful punch. It does. It is motivating as well as informative and practical.

I really liked the fact that the solution proposed is not just work related - the authors encourage you to focus on all domains of life - not, as they point out, to achieve balance but to recognise there is more to life than work.

The tips given about goal setting included the regular stuff that fellow productivity junkies will have read many times before BUT there is also a significant addition. an exercise, which you will almost certainly resist doing but if you do I am certain you will experience one of those 'aha' epiphanies of where it has all been going wrong in the past.

The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is because I think there was a chunk of repeated information at the back of the book which was unnecessary and I also question the price (I bought the KIndle edition) which did seem on the high side. (But that says more about my expectations than the value offered by the book).

Definitely recommended to anyone who is ending each day with a lot crossed off the ubiquitous list but with a sense of no-thing being done.

5.0 out of 5 stars How and why to select and then do only what is most important while ignoring almost everything else, 3 April 2013
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Up front, I want to acknowledge that I think the word "thing" is worthless. Because it can refer to everything (NOT every thing), it refers to nothing. Think about it: "no thing refers to no thing"? Nonetheless, it remains one of the popular words in the English language. This book and its title offer a case in point.

However, semantics aside, with assistance from Jay Papasan, Gary Keller rigorously examines a very important insight: The sharper the focus of our attention and effort, the bettter the result will be: answering the question, solving the problem, achieving the objective...producing the one result... that is MOST IMPORTANT.

When Keller first began to time block, the most effective t**** he did was to put up a sheet of paper that said, "Until My ONE T**** Is Done - Everything Else Is a Distraction!"

These are among the highly informative passages that Keller provides throughout his lively narrative, in addition to a series of effective Figures (not T****s) as well as a "Big Ideas" (not "Big T****s") section at the conclusion of each chapter:

o Six Lies That Are Barriers to Success (Page 30)
o Extreme Pareto (39-41)
o [Brain] Food for Thought (66-67)
o Counterbalancing - the Long and Short of It, and, Life Is a Balancing Act (79-82)
o Going Big (87-91)
o Life Is a Question, and, Anatomy of the Question, (104-110)
o How to make the ONE T**** strong enough to achieve extraordinary results (117-118)
o How and why the path to a great answer begins with a great question (119-127)
o Happiness On Purpose (139-144)
o How and why lives are driven by the purpose they're given (147-154)
o Time Blocking (159-170)
o Three Commitments (176-188)
o The three essential commitments to the ONE T**** (175-188)
o The four "thieves" of productivity (190-206)
o How and why success is an "inside job" (214-216)

Keller obviously understands and appreciates the power of metaphors because he makes such effective use of them. The domino, for example, that serves at least two separate but related functions in his skillful hands: as a cause and as an effect. ONE MOST IMPORTANT T**** leads to (enables) another ONE MOST IMPORTANT T****: Do what must be done (if nothing else) today so that you can then do what must be done (if nothing else) tomorrow; only then can you do what must be done (if nothing else) the day after tomorrow. You get the idea. Throughout this process, keep in mind that whatever else can also be done during this hypothetical three-day time frame is probably a distraction.

As I read and then re-read this book prior to composing my review of it, I was reminded again of two quotations. First, from Abraham Lincoln before power saws were available: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Now, from Peter Drucker: "There is surely nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency what should not be done at all." I agree with Gary Keller that, to achieve extraordinary results, it is imperative to select and then do only what is most important while ignoring almost everything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, quick read., 31 Dec 2013
Ms. A. Bryans (lancashire, uk) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book during the process of starting a business as i wanted help with my organisational skills. I have found the book to be very clear and helpful for that purpose and would recommend it for anybody who needs to bring organisation or focus to any area of their life. The book is well written, engaging and memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read and highly recommended, 15 May 2013
S. Desmond - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and confirm that it is well worth the 5 stars given to it by most reviewers (including those on Amazon.com).

I agree with Robert Morris' earlier review and wish to add the following observations.

The book is well-written, well-thought-out and tightly focused around its core subject.

Its central theme is embodied in a single question: What is the one thing you can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?

The authors throughout convincingly demonstrate how applying this approach to a variety of situations and contexts can help you to acquire more focus on what really matters and thereby become more productive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your One Thing is to Read the One Thing, 14 Oct 2013
A friend of mine recommended this book to me, and I'm so glad that he did.

The message is simple. In fact it's the title: The One Thing.

But it is, nevertheless, a powerful book.

In a society where multitasking has become a virtue, a book like this has a special place.

It unequivocally reminds as the we're deluding ourselves if we think that we can to two things really well at the same time.

If you think I'm wrong, then read this book. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

If you agree with me, then read this book. It will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars One simple and truthful word - Brilliant..., 9 Sep 2013
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a very well written book that has the ability to change your life for the better - very quickly...

One thing is "real" and extremely helpful in explaining the "how to" create a strategy for success.

I took this book away with me for a couple of weeks on my summer holiday and read it 3 or 4 times because I'm in the middle of a process that needed me to choose "one thing" above all others and it helped - a lot...

As most people find out - to their detriment - staying focused on one thing is not as straight forward as it seems - multitasking is an illusion - and the authors have a lovely way of telling their story in a way that is both engaging and interesting - and most importantly - in a way that you can learn from it and actually apply the knowledge they want to share - in your own life...

Well worth buying as a resource and reference - because books like this are few and far between...

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest research presented to Maximum Effect, 6 May 2013
I have the kindle version as the hardback was taking three weeks to deliver and I didn't want to wait... Very useful presentation of the latest research on focus, willpower and motivation, entwined with advice and tips on getting the most out of the day through working smarter rather then harder. Recommended reading for all from teenagers to seniors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple BUT Powerful, 1 Aug 2013
Great read and thought provoking however the most powerful ideas in life are normally simple and obvious when you are told about them, definitley worth a read and as ever then do something with the information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›