5.0 out of 5 stars Pacey, honest and direct account by Triathlon legend
Published on 13 July 2011 by Karl McCann

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled Ego Trip, but still a good read
This book proved to be something of a mission to get through which was strange, as, in itself it is a very readable story which Macca purveys with great emotion. But, it is confusing to say the least, jumps around a little and parts seem quite muddled.

Published on 4 Oct 2011 by cmmercer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacey, honest and direct account by Triathlon legend, 13 July 2011
Unlike many other sports, and even unlike the three parts that make it up, Triathlon as a sport is very young. As a result, compared to other sports `Legends' are comparatively rare, and biographies about them are even rarer. So when I heard that Chris McCormack was preparing to publish a biography, I pre-ordered on Amazon and waited patiently for it to come; readers in the US and Australia seemed to have earlier access than us here in Europe, their glowing reviews and tweets about it making me anticipate it even more.

When it arrived, the book did not disappoint. It is a frank, no-holds barred and fast-paced guide to competing at the top in triathlon. Loosely structured around a few themes, the book details Maccas early interest in the sport and his decision to abandon a corporate career for an uncertain and unproven future; the people around him, his personal tragedy in losing a best friend and his Mum, the change of direction from ITU to WTC, his dominance of races in Australia, Europe, and the US, right through to his crowning achievement - the 2010 Ironman Championship in Kona, his second win on the course.

For me the most useful part of the book was the emphasis Macca placed on the psychological, strategic part of triathlon. It is easy to think that our sport amounts to endless training, and spending more and more on equipment, being scientific about nutrition, while little value is placed on planning, strategy and competing with your strengths. The reality is that all of these things are important and none can be neglected. Maccas continuing achievements in his late 30's demonstrates how powerful this different mindset can be.

I have read reviews on Amazon,com, and can certainly see that certain criticism of the book is valid (there is some repetition, for example, and there is a loose structure), but overall this is a fascinating read, and something I will definitely return to again. I figure it would make an ideal pre-season read for motivation and focus.

If you have any interest in triathlon, I am sure you will love it also.

One little request to finish - can we have this on Kindle please?

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 2 Aug 2011
Enjoyable read. Having only followed triathlon for the past few years I was unaware of many of McCormack's earlier achievements. It was fascinating to see how his experiences shaped his attitude and perspective, and his love of the sport is obvious throughout. He obviously has self confidence in abundance, but it's actually the way that he recognises and addresses his weaknesses that comes across most strongly in this book. It's an easy read, and he includes lots of practical tips for age groupers. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled Ego Trip, but still a good read, 4 Oct 2011

On the other hand is the overwhelming ego-trip that provides the spine of this book. Not a page goes by without Macca proclaiming himself to be the worlds greatest, and reminding us over-and-over about how good he is. Every star athlete needs a strong ego, otherwise he wouldn't win. But we know how good he is, we are reading his book because we are aware of his successes - we don't need his supreme amazingness shoved down our throats with every turn of the page.

I was lent this book, because as a runner with very low self esteem it was thought I could take some tips from this amazing warhorse of an athlete. It was a strange book - full of insight into his life, but devoid of any tips or opinion as to how one might go any way towards achieving this state of mind. This is odd given the tagline to the book " A World Champion's ADVICE for Peak Performance "

All in all; a good story, poorly written, try not to get bogged down in the ego and enjoy reading about the successes of one of the greatest triatheletes of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for triathletes and endurance sports people, 28 Nov 2011
Kostas (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
Macca has written the history in the era of the highly competitive modern triathlon.
The book describes Macca's dream to conquer and win races all around the world, which he
achieved more than anyone else. This includes his ultimate effort to become an
Ironman World Champion, despite the scientists' belief that he could never achieve this.
Macca has broken all those mental and physical barriers that the majority of triathletes face,
the book describes how his will converted upper limits into temporary problems with a very detailed
manner, you feel as if you are racing with him as you read the book and through his words
you become a hero, as if you are him for a while. He has unveiled all his deep thoughts
about triathlon race strategies, so much, that I think no other world class athlete will
ever attempt to share around.
The most astonishing chapter for me is that about Ironman Hawaii, how he 'cracked
Kona code' and realising his ultimate plan 'My Masterpiece: The Ironman Championship'.
I've read the book twice already and some chapters are so touching that I keep on reading
them over and over again... As a triathlete, I find Macca's words a pure motivator and
an open minder for new achievements.
Thank you Macca - this book is a coach for my training sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why triathlon is so rock 'n' roll! He runs, he writes..., 5 Oct 2011
C. M. Lewis (Shepperton, UK) - See all my reviews
I met Macca at Abu Dhabi International Triathlon 2011 - the man is amiable, good looking and a fine athlete. He also has the personality and the skill sto inspire others in the sport - I wanted to see what made him tick and what methods I can apply to my madness! Now I have the book I also know the secret of the 'tan'! I'm satisfied with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 14 Sep 2011
I'm an ultra-runner - not a triathlete - and loved every minute of listening to this. Obviously it's the audio version. I've got a lot of time to kill out there pounding the streets and trails. I've listened to it twice now, as I want to take in every word. This is a MUST for any endurance athlete. I've been raving about it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 26 Aug 2011
This book is amazing. Fully loaded of valuable information, tips, training advices... I recommend every triathlete to read it, for sure

5.0 out of 5 stars The way to win, 3 Aug 2011
This book is quite simply superb. Chris McCormack has filled the gap in Triathlon by writing a book which covers many aspects of this sport with an emphasis on Ironman Triathlon. It is written as an autobiography but it covers other aspects such as the mental side of Ironman and even Chris's take on nutrition.

Written in his own unique style McCormack manages to take you on his journey through the good and bad. His battle with authorities, the sorrow of his mothers death and his incredible self belief are just some of the things that make Chris McCormack the best.

In the way the fabulous book "Born to run" made barefoot running massive, "I'm Here To Win" will create huge interest in Ironman Triathlon for all readers.

If you are interested in Triathlon, Ironman or any sport which requires massive dedication, maximum effort, the will to win and the ability to deal with pain then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 18 Jun 2014
Interesting to read about the trials and tribulations of one of the greatest triathletes ever. A number of tips were definitely picked up and can now be executed in my own plans. Would fully recommend this book to triathlete from beginner to elite looking to improve.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance (Kindle Edition)
This book has been a good read, the (w)insights could have been left to the end; there was quite a bit of repetition.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›