5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and tested
Published on 24 July 2010 by Bobookfan

1.0 out of 5 stars Sexist and outdated...
If you are a kind of submissive, obedient women, go on apply the rules and good luck. A friend of mine handed me this book and I was very enthusiastic when I started to read it and convinced It was going to work. But the bad news is they do not work at all if you want to be happy!!.
Published 1 month ago by bellatrixm42

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and tested, 24 July 2010
At 33 I had lived with 3 previous partners and even had a child by my ex partner. I decided to read the rules because I never seemed to get man to treat me the way I wanted, not mess me around, cheat - usual stuff! I read the book and some of it is laugh out loud stuff as it seems so old fashioned. However, I met a guy on a ski trip and instead of being my usual keen self I followed the rules and held back - even doing the simple stuff suggested in the book. Well what can I say, after 9 months of dating (yes dating - not moving in together) we became engaged, married 6 months after that, living together shortly after that and now happier than I've ever been.

The main principle of the book is spot on, but use your common sense as which parts are a bit far fetched. Sime reviewers say that you aren't presenting your true self and you are duping a man into marrying you by game playing. You're not, you are still you and any man can see clearly the girl he is dating. All you're doing is not giving too much away and making him do the chasing. Dating is a game whatever way you look at it. This way you're in control and can weadle out the ones who aren't willing to go the extra mile for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 July 2011
OMG girls it really works !!!!Absolutely great so far, my only regret is that i didn't read this 10 years ago !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic :) so insightful and excited to use!, 20 Nov 2011
Just finished reading this book (yes i don't have a saturday date right now, but have a guy texting me about liking another ex-girl mate of mine even though this guy told me 2 months ago he'd liked me for the 3 years we were uni students bleh bleh..usual drama! haha!). I guess this book has helped empower me and really given me alot of hope and reassurance that it's about being independent, sassy and as they say "a creature like no other!". I admit some of it can be hard to implement but i'm going to keep re-reading it and reminding myself IT WORKS and to keep following it! I have already noticed by holding back a little, the more certain men seem to pursue/call/text. It's fantastic! It's annoying if you feel you break a rule but we get better with practise, and the great thing is at least now we can see where the rule-breaking is happening, whereas alot of women out there are still in denial! We are an intelligent bunch of rules girls ;). I really look forward to using this and seeing where it leads now, and even more so in the new year! Some of what you read in the book you relate to so much and think "omg that sounds like me", or "wow, my best boy mate is like that!" and it gives great advice how to act rationally rather than emotionally to ensure we get that ring on our finger! All in all, it's girly, insightful and very empowering :) I already can see the men that are worth it now and the ones that clearly aren't!! FANTASTIC- BUY IT!! It's no-nonsense girl spice which we all need (seriously us girls can be too naive at times!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my attitude to myself, 8 May 2011
Oceanflower (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book (in conjunction with "He's Just Not That Into You") broke my belief that I was worthless. It showed me some practical steps I could take in order to wait for a man who thought highly of me. I read this book when I was 40 and had just finished a 4 year relationship with an unemployed waster who bullied me and eventually pushed me over and raised his fist ready to punch me in the face. The only other relationship I'd had was a one-year relationship with another unemployed waster, but who was a sweet man simply going nowhere. All my other "relationships" were one or two week affairs where I would drop everything and be at the man's beck and call.

I transformed myself and my life and, feeling very embarrassed and self-conscious and thinking that no man would bother to wait for me if I wasn't readily available, I nevertheless followed the rules. The most beautiful and perfect, kind, lovely and successful man wooed me, and we are still together and so very, very happy after 4 lovely years. I still struggle with a lack of confidence but he has helped me to know that despite my reservations, I am really worthwhile and I'm about to set up my own business.

I can see why people criticise this book for suggesting that you play games, or manipulate men. But for me it was simply showing me in a practical way how I could act to give the impression that I had some self-respect, and as a result I was treated with respect, and grew to have self-respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitly THE book to have, 22 Mar 2012
One of my friend recommend this book to me. Not only I loved it, but I have offered it to all of my single friends who are struggling to fing the right person. In this book, they give you sensible advices of how to act to attract men and to have more respect for yourself. If a man has your number and doesn't call you, it is not because he lost his phone or has been kidnappped by aliens, it is just because he IS NOT interested in you ! so the best you can do is to forget him and to carry on....this is not easy to accept but this is so true. This book will save us lots of time :-) It is fun and interesting...I really recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic., 23 Jan 2008
The Rules are a bit like a good timepiece. It always makes sense to come back to these after playing the field a little. I really do think this book has a lot of good advice to offer. Also, I liked and would recommend another called "Dating Sense--the practical way...". Both, together, can help any girl get a better dating game.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book that Broke my Bad Relationship Cycle!, 28 Aug 2011
I've pretty much been in constant relationships since I was a teenager, and was never truly happy. I always compromised, made excuses for them or tried to pretend they'd change. Deep down I knew that something was missing and I was never treated how I wanted.

A friend told me about the Rules, and at first I was skeptical. I read it, started trying to follow it on some dates, (and slipped up at first a few times!) But I started realising how great following the Rules was, my self esteem rocketed, men started treating me like a princess and I felt great! And one of the best things about the Rules is that it teaches you to LOVE YOURSELF and IMPROVE YOURSELF. So although parts are a bit old-fashioned, it really is all about giving the woman power in the relationship. Plus it is brilliant for breaking the "bad boy" cycle, or men that use you just for sex. Because if you follow the Rules, the only men you'll end up with are perfect gentlemen who love you to pieces.

The most influential book I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stuff, 16 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This book really doesn't deserve the criticism it has attracted. The main problem I think is that people read it and then try to do the Rules verbatim and thats difficult because of all the differing situations we are frequently in. The best rule and strangely enough the one that gets the feminists quite riled up in my opinion is the "be a creature unlike any other" - when I am doing this (and I admit it's hard to remember) I really do feel relaxed and serene and capable. Surely being that person the rest will follow on naturally? It really is the most important rule in the book. The book made me sad when I read it in some parts because I recognised all my silly mistakes and to think of the days/hours/years I must have spent messing around and agonising over someone who never panned out - no matter how much energy I expended. This book, despite being panned in many quarters, describes a way of being that will free women from that mess. It's interesting because I don't talk about the Rules very much because they are so controversial but I notice the women who oppose such games (on feminist grounds) are actually the one's who when a great guy comes into their lives they chase, agonise and despair - the Rules would save them from all that. It took a long time for me to incorporate the Rules into my life in a manageable way. I found it difficult to translate them into my own life but as per the above being a creature unlike any other really helps a lot. You don't have to do that all the time but it sure helps when one is out and about or going to a party or whatever. Also, I found it hard because often I would doubt them but take it from me - as hard and difficult as they are to do they do provide results. The thing that you must trade off here is that if a guy isn't really interested in pursuing you, when you do the Rules he won't pursue you (because he's really not that interested and never was up for the pursuing thing). The trade off is that you will often meet men who are in that catagory and who you are interested in and the temptation is to chase them and just have the little bit of romance (you know won't last but what the hell). Thats the choice you make in this game because armed with the Rules any guy who is serious gets a chance to pursue someone who doesn't suffocate him and really capture you and experience his own biological need for manliness in the process. However, if he's not serious he won't do that so you have to have the courage of your convictions here and know that when you do the Rules you do get the serious one's but you have to let a lot of fun times (and possible pain it is fair to say) slide too. The Rules really do free up a lot of your emotional energy to focus on other things in your life so I do think the criticism is unfair but as I said, theres an awful lot of truth in that little book and we all know the saying don't we?

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern ladies - sorry to say it - This works!!, 5 Jun 2010
After my 11 year marriage broke down I found myself back on the dating scene at 36 not knowing how to play. With my self-esteem a little bruised I was having a heck of a year and my dating experiences weren't helping! I was adopting all the 'modern' rules of dating and decided since they weren't working I'd check out this book in spite of what I'd heard about it being old-fashioned. Well ladies, not only did these principles help me marry someone who treats me like gold (four years on), as I started adopting these rules something more profound took place and I began to feel as valuable as I was forcing myself to act - I began to gently insist on respectful behaviour in all aspects of my life: work, social, family and finances. I am amazed to be telling you that ALL my relationships improved including the one with myself and my salaried doubled in 7 years time. I hope you too can persist in obeying the somewhat pedantic rules in this book until you can know what it's like to feel as valuable as these rules make you look when you adopt them. Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sexist and outdated..., 9 Nov 2014
Well, while reading the book, I got a new boyfriend, I applied the rules word by word and everything was fine, and I say it was fine FOR HIM, because at that moment my circumstances were not the best in my career. During the relationship, I had had a hard time to find a good job that suited my skills.
Finally, I got my dreamed job and in just a few days his attitude changed completely. The fear factor that I could be an independent, self-confident woman scared him away. What I understood about this book it is not be yourself, find a sexist man, give up your dreams and pursue only his. It is selfish and inconsiderate, how can we be happy with such advice?. These rules are about an absurd passive-agressive game, and men would not be happy if they realised we are playing with them. I am a woman who was raised with good values, I got a professional degree, and I have worked hard all my life.The authors want to convince the readers, that our grandmothers kept their men for longer and better than we do, but the question is: were they happy? In the past, women were not allowed to go to the university, they were not allowed to file a divorce, they were not allowed to enroll in a political party, the society itself pointed at them if they had brains... So to the authors: times DO change, re-write this book according with the 21st century, and learn more about your own experience, there should have been a happy ending for you than you have in real life with respect to your own marriage.
One of the husband's authors filed the divorce for the grounds of abandonment... Did she give up her career/success for him? as far as I know, she is still writing books. In conclusion, I think this book may have a negative effect on a woman's emotional well being and self esteem. I think this book sells because is controversial, not because it works. If you want a genuine relashionship, look for a better advice. By the way, the friend who handed me the book, filed a divorce as well...