5.0 out of 5 stars Believe Him if You Can.
When it comes to true crime, I'm pretty squeamish. Nothing violent, please. Clever and devious are what I'm looking for. Frank Abagnale's Catch Me If You Can: The True Story Of A Real Fake is one of the best, and it's hard not to compare any subsequent caper story to it.

Ghost in the Wires doesn't reach the level of audacity of Catch Me if You Can -...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by takingadayoff

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read
I'm a web designer and developer by trade and therefore I innately have an interest in hacking. This is an entertaining story but a little long and repetitive at times.
Published 4 months ago by Karsten Rowe

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite book!, 24 Oct 2011
I confess that prior to hearing Kevin's name on a podcast just a few short weeks ago I had no idea who he was. I enjoyed the interview he gave and was intrigued enough to read the book. As I'm sure Kevin himself would have said, "I had no idea what would be waiting for me..."

Kevin reveals in the first few pages that his hacking exploits have changed his life - now he gets paid to do it. Even knowing that, following his story from city to city, from challenge to challenge I found myself wondering how it was going to turn out.

Don't be put off by the title - there is surprisingly little "technobabble" in the book. Though Kevin explains what he's doing and why his attacks work the book focuses more on his story than simply being a manual.

The inclusion of encrypted codes as Chapter headings was an inspired idea, making this one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

I'm not typically a fan of biographies but this one is definitely the exception - five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of 2011, 23 Oct 2011
C "^-wilky-^" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
From reading the first page I was hooked and couldn't put this book down until I had finished it. My Girlfriend who is not computer savvy at all is now buried deep into chapter 3 and refuses to do any housework until she has also finished this book. An awesome read leaving you wanting more. I recommend anyone to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story about not only a great hacker but the stupity of law inforcement., 7 Oct 2011
As someone who grew up with the birth of the public internet (ahh CompuServe) and a fan of dialing in to friend of friends houses at night to "acquire" files, Kevin's story is very familiar to me.

However this book blows away the misinformation and media hype surrounding the story and is told in a thrilling and sometime humorous way.

From the start of the book it grabs the reader and won`t let go. Both fast paced and informative, it takes the reader from Kevin`s beginnings as a fan of magic tricks and magicians, to Ham radio and of course telephones and networks. If you've heard of Kevin Mitnick i guarantee you have not heard the truth. This book clears up the myths (He can whistle into a telephone and launch a nuclear missile from NORAD) and explains that not all hackers are in it for the money.

Buy,beg,borrow this book.......Then check your computer security.

My book of the year 5/5
Thank you Kevin and good luck in the future

The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly gripping!, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker (Kindle Edition)
This great tale of hacking the system is a must read for any security enthusiast. It goes into just the right amount of technical detail without distracting from the story of Mitnick's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myths busted, and secrets revealed, 26 Aug 2014
J. Constandinou "..." (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
A brilliant book. Finally revealing the truth behind many rumours and myths that have lasted over decades. Revealing the progress of technology in our lifetime, and the people behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Sep 2011
Not a long review, I think you will know if you would like this book before you buy it. If this is something you are interested in and you know who Kevin is then you will enjoy the book.

I found it quite motivating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Excellent, 26 Aug 2014
Excellent story, enjoyed it thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars nc -v -l -p 3300, 8 Jan 2012
P. Rosser "Paul" (UK) - See all my reviews
For anyone who has an interest in Social Engineering and hacking then this book is a must read.

Having read lots about the myth that has become Kevin Mitnick, it was excellent to read what the real story was and how someone who started off accessing information more through curiosity that anything else became the worlds most wanted hacker.

Some may not understand the idea of hacking just to gain information and to prove it can be done, not for any financial gain, but that's just what Kevin was doing.

It's also really scary to think that not so long ago the authorities really believed you could launch a nuclear strike just by whistling down a phone line!

1.0 out of 5 stars I never really got to know (or like) the main character and found the story quite boring and meandering, 9 Aug 2014
Just wasn't for me unfortunately. I never really got to know (or like) the main character and found the story quite boring and meandering. Others may enjoy it more but as isaid before this book just wasnt for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Exactly what I had hoped for., 26 Sep 2011
I got into computers around the time of Windows 95, not long after I went to collage and quickly became interested in hacking, it was at this point that I came across Kevin's name at that point he was in prison and going though the whole FREE KEVIN stage.

This is when I really got hooked I read everything that I could to learn what he had done and not done, watched documentarys you name it I did it, stalker like to a degree. Anyway he was released not to long after and began his new life.

At this point I was praying that there would be a movie and or books. not long after Kevin released The Art Of series look them up on here there also a great read. fast forward a few years and Twitter kicked off, I think i started asking Kevin via Twitter about this book around a year ago, hes probably so sick of me bothering him its unreal, but he is such a good guy he does speak with me and all of a few mins ago was happy that I was enjoying his book.

Right lets get to it then, this book tells the real story of what he did and did not do, there are so mant storys, so much **** out there putting this guy in a bad light, for christ sakes he was put in solatary confinement because some muppet of a judge was led to believe that Kevein could whistle nuclear launch codes down the phone and set off a bomb. I mean really ??? as I say this book tells the real story of what he did and why, its all about just having to know, at no point did Kevin profit from what he was doing and this is what makes me admire him so much hes just a geek that didnt know when to stop, we have all been there right.....

If you have happened to see the Takedown movie then YOU MUST buy this book to get the real story I promise you will not be disopointed

This book is about the exploits and awesome life story of Kevin Mitnick in his own words, not the papers !!!!

This really is a must buy 10/10 if your lucky like me he might even have a few words for you on Twitter too. Now I must go and start bothering him about a movie :)

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›