5.0 out of 5 stars The truth is better than the fiction....
I have been an avid follower of the Mitnick saga for many many years and have read many publications about and by the man. I even have to admit watching that Takedown film which in no way captures the reality of the character or situation. Although I myself work in the scurity testing industry, the sheer ingenuity and skill of this guy begs belief. This book sets the...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by The Duke

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read
I'm a web designer and developer by trade and therefore I innately have an interest in hacking. This is an entertaining story but a little long and repetitive at times.
Published 25 days ago by Karsten Rowe

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly honest account, 1 Jan 2012
fl1bbl3 (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Much has been written about Kevin Mitnick and unknowingly some of it even briefly stumbled upon the truth. Those factual nuggets were, however, mired in a morass of of lies and half-truths leading to the creation of a reputation of almost mythical proportions. Here then is the warts and all factual account of what happened. Some may take umbrage at the fact its not written as a massive apology note, but many others (including myself) would rather see everything as it happened stripped of media hype and fud. Anyone who says that Kevin shows no remorse whatsoever clearly hasn't read the book, it may be directed towards some of his close family and friends, but it IS there. He doesn't show much remorse for some organisations that he may have intruded upon, but given the length of his incarceration and the way in which simple acts were blown out of all proportions (he doesn't eat babies and he can't launch missiles by whistling) anyone who takes offense would be advised to walk a mile in his shoes and then see how forgiving they felt then. I've seen some negative commentary from some others who say that the content is too out of date. To those I would suggest putting "define history" into a popular search engine. This is an autobiographical account of what happened, it deals with the what, where, why and how of Kevin Mitnick. I laughed at sections of the book, both in terms of the crazy stunts he pulled as a youngster and the sheer chutzpah he showed in carrying out most of his attacks. Other sections adequately conveyed the remorse he felt towards his immediate family and the fear he lived with whilst on the run from the authorities. Hackers aren't particularly known for being erudite, but this is remarkably well written. I hope this gets picked up as a movie or a TV series, its certainly worthy of one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter password at your peril!, 1 Jan 2012
James Smith (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ghost In The Wires is an excellent account of Kevin Mitnick's extraordinary life as a hacker. It follows his entry into a world in which technical prowess is king: authorities and organisations with lesser abilities are left either flummoxed or - as the title of the book suggests - altogether ignorant of his actions.

What struck me as most astonishing was not so much his technical knowledge of telephone systems, networks, and computer operating systems - though that is indeed impressive - was his sheer audacity and confidence to extract information from people by posing as, for instance, a member of company staff or engineer. This is termed 'social engineering' but is perhaps a fancy name for a confidence trickster with a keen technical mind.

The story is faced paced and not burdened by too much technical jargon. I have qualifications in computing and good knowledge of the VMS and Unix operating systems frequently referred to, however, the book is expertly edited by William Simon and therefore should be enjoyable by those with just a basic understanding of computers and networks.

Mitnick comes across as being a very likeable person; I found myself willing him to succeed in his adventures at times. It is incredible that he remained elusive for so long, but as becomes apparent in this book, Mitnick was afflicted by an addiction to hack and get away with it.

Very enjoyable and well work a read... after you have done so, you'll be rushing off to change your passwords!

5.0 out of 5 stars As insightful and interesting as it is breathtaking., 27 Dec 2011
A. J. Price (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
With each flip of the page I found myself becoming ever more fascinated. It is a book you will find very hard to put down. Having a background and interest in Computers, phones and IT does help when reading but is truly not required. It is written in an informative, exciting and understandable way that pretty much anyone will be able to both grasp and relate to.

After having lent Ghosts In The Wires to many friends (of which come from all sorts of backgrounds) i can confidently say that this book is a MUST have. Kevin's addiction to hacking transpires into a nail biting journey of pain, genius and brilliance.

This book quite simply is a fantastic read. I promise you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! Worth buying..., 26 Dec 2011
I really enjoyed reading this fantastic book. It's packed with action as well as clever technology terminology and explanations. Perfect for anyone who wants to learn more about Kevin Mitnick, his adventures and hacking. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for geeks, 7 Nov 2011
I bought this book having an interest in computing itself so expected to enjoy it. I'd seen the Takedown movie and comparing the two were interesting to say the least, It gave me some familiarity when reading the book, but the book cleared up any ... creative improvisations.

Don't be detered if you have no technical experience, you require none whats-so-ever. This being something the authors aimed towards, and successfully I achieved I think.

Great read, definitly worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, 30 Oct 2011
Eddie-B (London, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent book. I tend to read almost anything worthwhile about computers, computer pioneers, hacking/cracking etc. and this is the best book I've read yet. This is the fascinating but also simple to follow story of Kevin Mitnick's hacking (and cracking) exploits. Really his story is one of "social engineering" skills, getting people to tell him what he wants to know, usually over the 'phone. In one clever but simple example he 'phones a company posing as a co-worker at another site and when asked to supply a password, he asks THEM what the password is as he claims that he's about to send some information they've requested and when they believe him and then tell him the password - he's in - simple!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read for all audiences!, 29 Oct 2011
This book was a real eye opener, this is coming from someone who works in security daily. In parts it is hard to believe some of the exploits and scenes actually occurred, this added to the excitement of the read! It was great to hear the story from Kevin himself, quashing many of the myths that had aroused about him. I respected his honesty when carrying out some of the explpoits and talking about the overwhelming feeling of curiosty and temptation - we all feel it at times though scared to admit it.

The technical content was appropriate for telling the story, anybody could pick this book up and understand it, enjoying it at the same time!

All in all this is a great book that tells a fascinating story of a legendary hacker pulling off hacks that many people could only dream of. Anybody working in information security should pick this book up and give it a read - you will definitely learn from it and will not regret reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite book!, 24 Oct 2011
I confess that prior to hearing Kevin's name on a podcast just a few short weeks ago I had no idea who he was. I enjoyed the interview he gave and was intrigued enough to read the book. As I'm sure Kevin himself would have said, "I had no idea what would be waiting for me..."

Kevin reveals in the first few pages that his hacking exploits have changed his life - now he gets paid to do it. Even knowing that, following his story from city to city, from challenge to challenge I found myself wondering how it was going to turn out.

Don't be put off by the title - there is surprisingly little "technobabble" in the book. Though Kevin explains what he's doing and why his attacks work the book focuses more on his story than simply being a manual.

The inclusion of encrypted codes as Chapter headings was an inspired idea, making this one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

I'm not typically a fan of biographies but this one is definitely the exception - five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of 2011, 23 Oct 2011
C "^-wilky-^" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
From reading the first page I was hooked and couldn't put this book down until I had finished it. My Girlfriend who is not computer savvy at all is now buried deep into chapter 3 and refuses to do any housework until she has also finished this book. An awesome read leaving you wanting more. I recommend anyone to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story about not only a great hacker but the stupity of law inforcement., 7 Oct 2011
As someone who grew up with the birth of the public internet (ahh CompuServe) and a fan of dialing in to friend of friends houses at night to "acquire" files, Kevin's story is very familiar to me.

However this book blows away the misinformation and media hype surrounding the story and is told in a thrilling and sometime humorous way.

From the start of the book it grabs the reader and won`t let go. Both fast paced and informative, it takes the reader from Kevin`s beginnings as a fan of magic tricks and magicians, to Ham radio and of course telephones and networks. If you've heard of Kevin Mitnick i guarantee you have not heard the truth. This book clears up the myths (He can whistle into a telephone and launch a nuclear missile from NORAD) and explains that not all hackers are in it for the money.

Buy,beg,borrow this book.......Then check your computer security.

My book of the year 5/5
Thank you Kevin and good luck in the future

The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders and Deceivers
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security