Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 20 November 2013
Waterproof cycling trousers can be an awkward compromise. I have a pertex pair which keep even heavy downpours out, but are unlined, and like sails (despite being the correct size for me) which is fine if the wind is behind, but really hard work with side and head winds. Also, being self-conscious, I do not like wearing them to wander around in town, because they are not exactly stylish.

These Tenn trousers have proven to be perfect for my needs.

FIT: I bought the size to fit me and they are neither restrictive or baggy. "Quadzilla", or the average prop-forward would find them a little tight. I can fit jeans underneath, without too much bother, but I would suggest a size up, if the intention is to use them frequently as true over-trousers. The fact that they are on the narrow side is excellent for reducing wind resistance. Although the waist is elasticated (with rubber "grippers" in the hem for each hip), there is a zip and popper fastening for the waist which means they are a much neater fit then elastic-only trousers. The leg length suits me perfectly, but very tall thin people would probably not find a standard size to fit them well.

WEATHER PROOFING: Certainly wind-resistant. Two (25-mile) rides in sub 10 Deg C with only cycling shorts underneath. No problem with the cold, and the mesh lining meant they were not unpleasant to wear. On one of the rides (for the last five miles) I was in a heavy shower of rain which did not penetrate the material. (Because I prefer to enjoy my rides, I don't have any intention of testing them to their limit. But if I am out in them and get caught in a cloudburst, I will add to this review.) "Breathability" is subjective. All I can say for certain is that although I have not tested them in summer rain, the insides were not horribly sweaty after 25 miles of relatively hard riding.

STYLING: Apart from the necessarily baggy backside (cut for cycling, not for looking cool whilst leaning nonchalantly against walls), they are not bad. As can be seen in the pictures, the knees are pleated (again for a better fit whilst on a bike), and the leg zips and hook&loop straps allow decent adjustment of the lower sections. I didn't mind wandering around town the other day in them (unlike with my pertex pair which are more like two dustbin liners).

OVERALL: If I win a load of money, I might try some of the £100+ trousers, but in the meantime, I am more than happy with these at around the £30 mark. They appear to be really well made (only time will reveal weaknesses in the manufacture). The fact that there are two good-sized (zipped) front pockets (not mentioned in the blurb above) adds to the appeal as really usable waterproof trousers.
44 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2013
I live on the edge of Dartmoor and commute into work 26 miles round trip. It has been wet, windy and cold these past few days and the trousers have been great keeping the wet out and working hard on the breathable front. Came off this morning on some black ice putting a hole in the elbow of my jacket but the trousers though scuffed stood up to the slide intact! They arrived when Tenn said they would and for 30 odd quid they are a great bit of kit.
on 3 January 2014
Bought these to use on a MTB. Splashing through mud and water was without issue and they even kept me dry when I came off and landed in a puddle! Definitely recommend going for a size up if you are in the mid-top of the size range. They are elasticated at the waist but still quite tight fitting. I'm 6 ft and found the length to be about right for me but bear in mind they are a waist fit rather than hip fit like most jeans. They are a bit baggy on the thigh but very comfortable on the bike. Good buy.
on 1 January 2014
Came on time. Fitted correctly and keeps out the rain (and mud, around here). Minor gripe, the calf/ankle adjustment could be a bit tighter, for me anyway.
on 23 February 2015
Firstly, for someone like me who has quite long legs (34") and slim (30-32" waist) the medium size fit perfectly! The elastic stretch waist band with the button to tighten and zip up crotch keeps your trousers nice and fitted without the need to keep pulling them up or the use of a belt/strings. My favourite thing about these trousers is on the legs their are two different Velcro strap points (One around the ankle and one around the calf) which you can tighten/loosen to your preference. (No more tucking your sock into your trousers!)

Secondly, I used these to throw over some jogging bottoms I wear to work, and after a good 20 minutes in heavy rain I can happily say they were still dry as when I left my house!

Overall great high quality trousers, would definitely recommend.
on 14 November 2013
They keep the wind out and the rain mostly but I have had a wet bum once for some reason. They are very baggy looking around the top so not flattering to your figure. The lover leg fastenings are useful to keep the wind out and keep them out of your chain.
on 20 January 2016
Fairly waterproof (in heavy rain, the run-off from your jacket overwhelms the trouser zip and you can get a slightly damp crotch). Warm too. And the zipped and Velcro legs mean they are easy to put on and remove the need for bicycle clips. One major issue - the waist is far far far too small; I even got a bigger size and the fastening won't stay shut. Had similar size problems with other Tenn products (over-shoes and jacket) so makes me think Tenn need to re-measure and re-cut their entire product line.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 April 2016
Very comfortable waterproof cycling trousers that double as dog-walking trousers. Mesh lined, they are warm enough to wear without an inner layer in all but the very coldest weather. Elasticated waistband means a snug fit and they aren't going to fall down even without a belt, and zipped cuffs means you can easily get them on and off over shoes/boots. Velcro adjustable cuffs for a personalised fit, and two zipped hip pockets to hold things securely on the road. They work really well, easily as effective as much more expensive waterproof gear that I own, and I would thoroughly recommend these.
on 28 January 2016
Great value for money been having this for around a month.

On the waterproof side I was not out in heavy rain with it but handled exceptionally well the constant and long showers of Scotland. I am working as a bicycle courier in Glasgow so i have seen some rain.

On the durability side, while the material seems that it will not hold, it did not rip or damaged at all in two serious falls i had against harsh surface.

On the breathability side I have to say I am very pleased as I was using regular overpants before that and I was sweating very easily, something that did not happen with these pair of pants

The only downside is it is not designed for too cold conditions (might need isothermal trousers under that) but if you are using it for cycling it gets warmer if you are constantly moving.

I am already considering buying a second one or another one from this collection as I am very pleased
on 3 February 2016
Amazing quality, keeps the wind and rain out well. I ride all mountain in the forests and they can handle getting soaked from deep muddy puddles. Stitching is good, used them for about 6 months and no lose stitching ect. If I remember rightly I got an L but had to stich the calves in slightly due to catching on the chain but once these are finished I will buy the same for sure. Also I ride tight twisty single track and these take a beating from branches ect and a few falls at speed on rock but no cuts or holes yet. Worth every penny 😊