4.0 out of 5 stars Goes with me everywhere.
I love being able to digitise my notes as I go, ensuring that if I were to lose my notebook I would still have my revision, work and private scribbled notes safe. The pen feels fairly solid despite it's plastic construction, although it did take me a while to get used to the light & large barrel coming from using a weighty LAMY pen to-date.

The app is a...
Published 7 months ago by ARhT

2.0 out of 5 stars Still has some way to go to be really useful
I'm a keen supporter of this technology and see it as an essential part of my digital workflow. This is the 5th pen of this type that I've owned and is the third model from Livescribe - having purchased both the 8GB Echo and 8GB Sky before investing in the latest model.

Published 15 months ago by MarkN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Goes with me everywhere., 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Livescribe 3 Smartpen Pro Edition for iOS 7, iOS 8 iPhone and iPad (Personal Computers)

The app is a workable gateway to where I want my notes, which is OneNote. I hear there is an update soon to arrive which will allow auto-sending and notebook selection and I'm looking forward to this as the current send-as-PDF option is a little frustrating when sending multiple pages at a time.

In hindsight I would not have purchased the Pro version as I found the included leather folio uncomfortable to write in. I ended up buying the Livescribe A5 notebook folio separately which folds flat and holds the ring-bound notebooks and pen - a very handy purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still has some way to go to be really useful, 11 Jan. 2014

I moved from the Echo to the Sky because the Echo locked my notes in to an application on my desktop and I couldn't efficiently do anything useful with them. Grouping, sharing and referring to them was tedious, and you could not tag the notes to easily find a note or related notes in several hundred pages worth of information.

When the Sky came out with the synchronisation with Evernote, this was a significant step forward and generally a great pen, but as the number of notes increased and I added new journals it became unreliable. There were also some significant limitaitons in how the notes could me manipulated in Evernnote. Support was generally good, but not always that responsive and tended to provide generic guidance.

The '3' looked like another good step forward by using a local device to collect the data.

However, from the start it has been less then impressive. Physically, it is less comfortable to hold than the Echo or Sky, it is still quite chunky and doesn't feel stable in your hand with the barrell being quite slippery and having a greater taper that means you have to hold the pend more tightly.

It is clear that the pre-release testing had been abbreviated as it wasn't until a software update received _after_ I'd bought the pen that it would syncronise with the iOS device (iPhone / iPad). It now seems to connect and syncronise realiably, but you are now back to the limitations of the desktop applicaiton that was provided with the Echo.

You _can_ share and move notes around, but as part of a day to day workflow where you might generate multiple pages (say 10 to 20) it is still too awkward to use. You can post data in to Evernote, but with the screen based keyboard on an iOS device it is tricky and long-winded.

I hope that a desktop applicaiton is released shortly or more effective posting to Evernote is added to the iOS software.

This company deserves a lot of support as this technology has great potential, but there needs to be a step change in quality and functionality.

1.0 out of 5 stars FORCE SENSING RELAY & APP ISSUES, 22 Nov. 2013
Lee Hendricks "Jimmi" (Ascot, Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Hi,
FORCE SENSING RELAY & APP ISSUES
I love Livescribe and have been using their digital pens for several years. I've used the Echo and was using the Sky WiFi pen before upgrading to the Livescribe 3.
As a committed supporter and customer, I was really looking forward to using a pen that would potentially allow me to leave my laptop behind and reduce my mobile office to nothing more than a digital pen and an iPhone.
The upgrade to the Livescribe 3 was not a happy experience. The first pen had a problem with the Force Sensing Relay (FSR), which is the component in the pen that tells the processor that the pen is touching paper and that pen strokes are to be recorded. The result - crazy lines all over the digital image of my handwritten notes, rending them unintelligible.
Now Livescribe technical support were awesome - I got a replacement pen in 7 working days; hats off to the guys, they were spectacular. The new pen arrived and worked beautifully - digital notes appeared on the iPhone exactly as they were written. Unfortunately, there was a problem recording audio using the Livescribe+ App.
During a lecture, I'd tap record and as soon as the screen lock on the iOS device was enabled, the recording stopped and the iOS Livescribe+ app crashed, which stopped it from capturing both the audio and my handwritten notes.
I still love Livescribe and have gone back to using my WiFi Skypen, which has never failed. My view - save your money and invest in a Livescribe WiFi Skypen - it does what it says on the tin; whereas, the Livescribe 3 pen just does not work at all right now - even when the FSR issues were resolved.
Support Livescribe, but a WiFi Sky pen or an Echo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental Flaw, 5 Jun. 2014
The pen works fine in getting your written word on to the page but why oh why did they not get partnered with someone who can then take the written word and transcribe it into typed text?

Within the software it allows for small sections to be highlighted and converted, but why only small sections?

Previous versions allowed for this and it must be useful for the majority of purchasers - very frustrating and reduces the usefulness of this product for me by 90%.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend This Livescribe Smart Pen 3 Pro, 11 May 2014
The Smartpen arrived on time. All was well until I had to charge the pen. The cap that covers the charging point was hard to get off. I had to prise it off. When the charge was complete I replaced the cap but it was a very loose fit. Nothing had broken off it was just very loose and it fell off very easy.
I eventually lost the cap within a week of purchasing the pen, obviously this didn't stop the pen working so I decided to keep the pen and informed Livescribe.

Livescribe support were very good and gave me a couple of links to try and get a new cap as I was in the UK. There was no joy from the links supplied.
Livescribe contacted me by email asking had I managed to get a replacement cap. I told the suport team that I was unable to source a replacement. At no time did I ask Livescribe to replace the cap as it was my own fault for not returning the pen when the cap did not fit.
Livescribe sent a replacement cap which is working perfectly. I was very impressed with the customer support at Livescribe.

The pen works perfectly, syncs well with my ipad and iphone would recommend the pen.

Sorry about my ramblings but I thought I should share what went wrong and how Livescribe fixed the problem.

Jcf

4.0 out of 5 stars The best solution for digital note-taking on iOS., 16 Jan. 2015
I have used the Livescribe 3 for a few days and here are my thoughts:

Design:
The looks more like a normal pen than previous versions. People don't realise that I'm writing with a smartpen until I mention, some just thinking that I am using some luxury pen given its size and shape. The materials could be better though: it feels like it is made of cheap plastic and I would appreciate if they upgraded the materials so it felt more solid. I do not feel like I could subject it to the same abuse that premium pen would take without breaking it.

The pen is very comfortable to use, the size not being an issue. I am left-handed and have no problems writing with it. Also it doesn't matter how you hold the pen (camera above nib or under) as it seems to read the paper always successfully. The only slight change I had to make to my writing is to ensure that I always lift the nib clearly off the paper to move to a new position to start a new word, otherwise it may end up capturing a line in between the words. Otherwise my writing style has remained unchanged.

Functionality:
The pen itself hasn't missed a beat. Ever stroke is accurately captured and rendered on screen. The pen can work tethered to the device and you can see your text appear with little lag or what I find more useful, I can take pen and paper to a meeting, do extensive note-taking and when back to my desk I just have to open the app I want to use to keep the notes and it takes care of the rest. All data gets sync'ed seamlessly. Also the commands embedded in the paper are useful. The only time I need my device with me is if I want to record voice as well, but given that I'm not capturing lectures that is not such a big thing for me and most of the time I really only care about the written notes.

Software:
For now this is a bit lacking. The pen is compatible with Livescribe's own app for iOS (Livescribe+) and Noteshelf. I have tried both and neither offers a complete solution:
Livescribe+ supports all the pen's features, incl. voice, but it does not offer any editing functionality for the digital notes. Also all the export and sync functions rely on PDF or PNG files.

Noteshelf on the other hand supports extensive editing of the digital notes but does not support the voice recordings offered by the pen and for some reason, although native Noteshelf notebooks can be sync'ed to Evernote, Livescribe notebooks within the app don't offer the same feature.

Also the fact that you can only synchronise notes with one application, never with both, is a bother. I started using the journal that I received with the pen with Livescribe+ and then switched to Noteshelf and the pages synchronised to one app appear blank on the other and vice-versa. I whish there was a way to force synchronisation of notes with both so I could, whilst evaluating what app fits my workflow better, have my notes in both.

Paper:
There is a wide range of paper available for the pen. The journal that comes with it is quite nice, A5-size. I have also bought a set of 4 A4 notebooks that come numbered 1-4, 80 pages each. I find that the cost of the Livescribe dot Paper is about 50% higher than regular paper, but given that the cost is not that high I think it is good value for money. There are flip-pads, A5 notebooks and even sticky notes available for the pen so I think it can fulfill pretty much any needs in that area.

The micro-dots on the paper are unobtrusive but they do make the paper look slightly darker. Nothing upsetting.

Conclusion:
I have tried solutions from Wacom and Adonit for note taking with the iPad and ditched both. For a left-handed person that rubs the hand on the paper/screen when writing, these solutions just don't work. Palm rejection for me is a gimmick at best and don't allow me to write naturally. The Livescribe solution on the other hand relies on good old fashioned paper and because of that, it works perfectly. It gives me the flexibility of carrying only my notebook with me into a meeting, I can search the pages quickly to look up notes from previous meetings and so on without annoying other people whilst I try to make my gadgets work and when I get back to my desk I can sync it all seamlessly to my device.

The software needs lots of improvement though to better allow me to access my notes from a computer, store my data in a cloud storage (iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote, whatever) and sync across multiple devices. They have released a firmware recently that promises to add support to a number of features to be enabled in upcoming releases of Livescribe+ but do not specify what these features are so there is hope that they will revamp over the next few months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly flawed..., 22 Mar. 2014
Unfortunately another completely flawed It product - a combination of shoddy workmanship, flawed software and failed promise.

The actual pen paired but failed to write. It commanded a firmware update, which took 2 attempts. Then it still failed to write.

The n it indicated that it was paired with maximum number of devices, but in fact only one.

Wasted an hour doing all sorts of diagnostics, checking the FSR (go check it out...) , installing desktop app to update firmware. Bottom line was that this second attempt to update firmware bricked it. Livescribe support confirmed it faulty. If there is any positive, then the live chat was quite efficient.

Further investigation revealed that the document sizes in pdf are huge, the OneNote 'integration' appears to be no more than sending notes from one app to the other (so it's all duplicated?).

Back to my Echo, which aside again the shoddy workmanship (the pen has cracked), does work and does sync in a useful way with my MacBook Air.

At least I won;t have to throw away my stock of Echo refills, which for some ludicrous reason do not fit the LS 3.

What a mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended for meeting notes, 13 Nov. 2014
This works great allows me to take notes during meetings which are transferred to my Evernote account. My handwriring is poor but is still captured accurately and even more of a surprise converted to text accurately!

The livescribe app needs a bit of work on its UI but is functional and does what it says on the box, the pen is a little more like a fountain pen rather than resembling a carrot like the old one.

Teh pen captures the data within itself and will then transfer it to the IOS device upon connection which is a great feature, comes with a very nice leather notebook cover and notebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, 16 Mar. 2015
I was unsure as to whether I was doing the right think when I took the plunge and bought this item, mainly because the reviews portrayed two extremely opposing views. I decided that this was a 'marmite' product, in the sense that you either love it or hate it, and that I needed to make my own mind up about it.
Over the weekend, I took my Livescribe away with me to do some writing on the train. I read somewhere that the ink is pretty faint, but I didn't feel as though it lacked in any way. The pen was easy to write with and comfy to grip, being neither too big or small. It is fairly light, but not so light that it feels cheap and poorly made. The leather portfolio notebook this bundle comes with was of a decent size and thickness, but not too big to easily carry on a train. It also feels of good quality, which is important I think. I was impressed with the battery life of the actual pen, as I must have written for hours and only managed to use up 4% of its power.
When I took it home again and synced it up to my iPad mini, it transferred my data in chunks. I was then able to convert each broken down section into text that became highlightable, editable etc. I found that roughly 85% of the converted text was accurate, which I have to admit was a bit of a relief due to having read some poor reviews. I will say however, that for those of you who are looking for something even more accurate, my handwriting can be vastly improved. I am a techie, and therefore have done most of my writing on a laptop for a long long time! I'm convinced I can write better, for more accurate results.
Overall, I feel happy with the product and will continue to use it well into the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted this idea to work for me..., 21 Jan. 2015
I really wanted this product to work for me. I purchased and returned the item in last 2013 but I thought I'd give it another chance after a year of the software maturing. I take a lot of notes at work and wanted to digitise them. I also liked the option of integrating pictures and audio into my notes. On paper (pun sort of intended...) this seemed like the ideal solution.

Unfortunately I had to return it as it simply as the performance didn't match the price

- Syncing with my iOS device was, at best, flaky. This was especially true if I was away form my iPad and then came back to sync. It very rarely worked (this was despite a lot of useless tech support via thier slow email support)

- Admittedly I don't have the best handwriting in the world but, that being said, OCR has worked very well for me in apps like goodnote using an iPad stylus. In livescribe, however, it simply didn't work. Very poor recognition rate. This was a key purchasing motivator for me and, when it didn't work, I was basically paying for a fancy (and slightly uncomfortable) pen to do what my iphone camera could do - create a digital picture of my notes

All in all, I ended up going back to the iPad stylus (Adonit Touch with Pixelpoint) and goodnotes 4 on the ipad and I think this is going to be the solution for me going forward. The livescribe was just oo unreliable to justify paying the £160 price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›