on 29 January 2014
Helen (bought on Steve's account): I read every review, good and bad, for every sunrise alarm before plumping for this, and I was well confused. Even the expensive ones had really poor reviews, so I decided to go for the one that hadn't been reviewed.
So, first off, don't buy the power adaptor that's recommended - it doesn't work. I thought the alarm wasn't working, but decided to try the adaptor from my old alarm, and it worked straight away. The instructions are nicely set out and easy to follow so I got it set up straight away. The first day I was already awake before the light came on, so watched it get brighter until the birds tweeted, lovely. Unfortunately I pressed the wrong button to stop the alarm so the next night I had to set up from scratch, even easier than the first time. Second day the light didn't wake me up because I was facing away from it (I'd put it next to me as some reviews said the light wasn't bright enough, but the birds did wake me. So now I've got it just right - the alarm is at the foot of the bed so whichever way I'm facing the light wakes me first. But joy of joys this morning, I discovered that the snooze operates automatically, so if you don't get up straight away, the light goes out and the birds stop after a minute or so, and start again 5mins later. So I'm highly delighted.
Referring back to the reviews I read before plumping - I really did not want the clock display to be illuminated during the night, this would keep me awake, so I'm very pleased that this alarm doesn't emit any light or sound until it's supposed to. The alarm is however just a piece of plastic and doesn't weigh very much (it will when I get round to putting in the failover batteries), and the light is definitely not a reading light, so I guess if you're looking for either of these things you'll be disappointed. The coloured lights are OK, again don't expect lava lamp fluidity. Night night.
on 18 January 2014
My son hate any noise which is obviously an issue with any alarm clock. This lights up with pretty lights, which change colour, then makes gentle natural noises which wakes him up. He turns off other alarm clocks before they go off so this is much more effective. Programming buttons are a bit of a fiddle and not that intuitive. Sounds a bit funny not quite like the real thing.
on 14 July 2015
The sounds take a bit of getting used too but I really like waking up to the coloured light.