4.0 out of 5 stars Built for bachelors
Personally, I don't do much ironing. Normally a good shake when damp out the washer is all my clothes need if I hang them up right away.

However, some items, like shirts you have to iron. So when I got this to review I set about ironing 4 of them.

Published 3 months ago by The Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Not just hitting the mark .
Published 10 months ago by chocmum

3.0 out of 5 stars Not just hitting the mark ., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Philips PerfectCare Azur Iron GC4912/80 - One Perfect Temperature, T-IonicGlide Soleplate and 180g Steam Boost (Kitchen & Home)
Well thought would wait to write this review when I had done lots of different ironing using it. Firstly the iron is comfortable to hold and use and the instructions easy, peasy. when I first used it on woollens, trousers, blouses was very impressed. No need to worry about the setting, it didn't burn, mark and delivered good results, and the fact I could just pick any item out of the basket was a bonus.
Now onto ironing cotton bedding, tablecloths , jeans etc. I am sorry to say this is where the iron to my mind fails. I had the iron on the steam setting and found was constantly having to press the shot of steam button to make any impression on the duvet cover (Cotton), the same problem occurred with the other items, the results were no where as good as with my old 2200w steam iron. Plus it took longer to get them looking anything like. I ironed two large king-size duvet covers, fitted bottom sheets, two T shirts , six pillowcases and four cotton tea towels plus various small cotton items and although using the shot of steam button only a quarter of tank of water used !!! ( Not sure if this should be so ).
I like to give a true and honest review and although the iron has many good features and enjoyed it for certain items to be honest my old one coped better, so sorry Phillips , nearly there but not quite.
PS. Sorry but failed with my linen table cloth :-( x

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best iron for your pressing engagements!, 12 July 2014
Ms. R. L. A. Amelan "Rachel" (Wilmslow, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips PerfectCare Azur iron, sadly, does not live up to the standards that I require when it comes to ensuring that my laundry is crease free and a pleasure to behold.

Let me assure you first that I am a seasoned ironer who has sampled quite a number of machines. I actually press everything, and that includes knickers and sheets, so I do need an iron that is efficient and light to make speedy inroads into my ironing pile. Unfortunately, this device is certainly not the former and a bit heavier than I would like.

Boasting optimal temperature technology, the iron claims to adapt to the material that it is pressing. In reality this means that it adopts a dismal middle of the road setting that does nothing for cotton or linen and even the steam fails to make the kind of speedy dent in the drudgery of crease removal. Instead, water sometimes dripped lazily onto the fabric with little effect and maximum irritation. The water reservoir is also a bit small for my needs and, once the temperature drops when you are not using it, there is something of a wait before you can go on your way again. This drove me to distraction.

From this, some of you will guess that my favourite weapon of choice is a steam generator iron. I like these - mine boasts a light and effective iron which makes the whole procedure a joy. Having said this, the iron I am reviewing could have compared better had it not been for that automatic temperature control feature. I feel that being able to set this for myself is mandatory, as I sometimes need to have the iron really hot for my sheets so that I can achieve the knife edge creases I require.

My final comment is over the steam control. This appeared temperamental and I could rarely achieve a constant flow.

In summary, I cannot really recommend this device. This actually gives me little pleasure because I know that the Philips brand is reliable but, frankly, when undertaking a friend's ironing, we both agreed that it was inadequate and we soon reverted to her cheaper bargain basement machine with far greater success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Built for bachelors, 5 July 2014
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The iron itself looks pretty cool. It's certainly got a manly, bachelor look about it rather than being the usual boring white. It's got a nice blue light that flashes while it's heating up then stays on permanently when the iron is hot.

I found it easy to use and liked the fact it had quite a long cord on it too. It was easy to fill and results were good.

The only downsides I can think of are that it got through a lot of water - being filled up 3 times for nearly as many items (Four shirts & a pair of jeans)..

Also, pouring in the water causes hot steam to rise up and burn your hand when you're doing it. It Also has some sort of limescale or calcium removal system, but I haven't got round to trying that yet.

However, I do like it and it makes things simple with 1 heat setting - though I can't ever remember having adjusted the heat for stuff on my old iron either?

I think this is an iron aimed at single guys. It's fool proof, looks cool, and gets the job done with minimum fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent iron, the best that my wife has used, 29 Jun 2014
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron works like a Philips steam generator Philips PerfectCare Aqua ECO GC8620/02 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 180g Pressurised Steam Boost, that means it doesn't have a temperature dial and uses steam to remove creases. It goes from light man-made fabrics to cotton tea cloths with the same excellent results. When empty the iron weighs 1.7 kgs (3.5 lbs) so it is about 0.3 kgs or just over half a pound heavier than the equivalent Philips conventional steam iron. It will be heavier once filled with water. Steam heats the iron so it can only be used with water in it. It has a de-calcing feature but Philips recommends using distilled water in areas where the water is hard.

My wife says that it's brilliant for silk and linen. She pressed a linen skirt that she'd worn - normally difficult to do with a conventional steam iron - with good results.

It has all the advantages of a steam generator without the disadvantage of size and additional cost. However, it is quite heavy and can use a lot of water. If you do large amounts of ironing and have the storage space, a steam generator has a lighter iron, more water storage and will produce excellent results. If you can put up with the weight of this iron it will produce just as good results as a steam generator. Now that my wife has got used to the weight, she says that it's the bset iron that she's ever had!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but effective, 26 July 2014
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't understand why other reviewers have issues with this iron unless they were unlucky enough to get faulty ones.

We haven't had the leaks that others complain of and it delivers plenty of steam in non-eco mode, too much if anything. The tank does empty quickly but that's down to the amount of steam it generates to enable it to work at low temperatures. If you do a lot of ironing, consider saving up for one of the steam-generator versions - they have big tanks.

Not having to worry about settings and being able to iron a mixed load in any order is wonderful. We've had great results on everything from polyester to denim.

It's certainly quite a heavy iron but no heavier than our old one - you could compare the weight (c. 1.75 kgs) with yours, before ordering. We really don't notice the weight, in use, helped by a handle that we both find comfortable and a soleplate that glides well and gets into tight corners.

I've no hesitation in recommending this iron but do consider an equivalent steam generator instead such as Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive gimick, 6 July 2014
The Evil Doctor (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An iron without a temperature control? That's either genius, or the work of the devil, right?
First impressions of the iron were pretty average. Its a heavy iron, and when filled I don't think would be suitable for those who get arm-ache when ironing, or for the elderly.
It also heated up pretty quickly given that it holds a lot of water.
There's also a nice auto-off feature that uses a funky blue glowing light to alert you.
The base of the iron is massive, so its great for ironing larger garments and table cloths for example. An extra point goes to the fact that beyond this, there's a clever thin tip so getting between buttons is very easy; the best of both worlds!
On the downside, I thought that the quality of crease-removal was just okay. Yes its very clever how the iron adjusts its temperature automatically, but I found myself having to use the steam button too often (especially on heavier fabrics such as jeans). This resulted in rapid water usage. Also I found that when moving from softer fabrics to shirts (that generally need a higher temperature), the iron never really got up to temperature, resulting in a long tedious affair.
Would I recommend it, then? Perhaps, if you're not a confident ironer. For me, its a very expensive price to pay for a feature that just isn't that brilliant in practice. In this price range there is some serious competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a chore any more!, 1 Dec 2013
Length:: 0:42 Mins

I have had the Philips PerfectCare Azure Steam Iron for a few weeks now, and what a difference! Of course I used to iron, but that was because I had to- and it was a chore. The PerfectCare Azure iron is so easy, and effective, and actually delivers the perfect sort of care I have come to know from Philips. There is nothing nicer than wearing lovely clothes that have that store fresh appearance every time they are worn. The iron heats up incredibly quickly and uses water straight from the tap. It even has a descaler built in so there is no need to filter hard water. There are no settings to mess with, no adjusting the heat for different garments. No more figuring out how hot should it be for silk or some fancy blended fabric. With this iron it is all automatic. To show just how sensitive the Azure's temperature control is, we tried ironing a party balloon, and it coped with that just fine! See for yourself in the video part of my review.The iron has a clever design that allows you to get the tip into the tiniest places to smooth out between seams and under collars. It takes very little effort to use. It glides and the chord does not get in the way. If you are distracted - maybe by a phone call, and leave it unattended, it has a safety mechanism that turns it off. Of course there is always a need to be aware and cautious with an iron, but the advances in safety, efficiency, and design have come together to make this iron a must have in every busy modern household.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ironing and the gym, all in one., 24 Jun 2014
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Exeter, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The build quality of this iron appears to be top quality, it has a nice feel in the hand and looks an impressive bit of kit.
However I agree with the comments made by others about the weight of this iron at 1.75kg it is heavy and my elderly mother who really like this iron, find this her only real negative point.
The "Optimal Temp" technology I have used before and it is impressive.
I find it does work well across different fabrics and hasn't burnt anything yet.
It has a generous 2.5 metre power cord, and is really simple to use. The instructions run to a couple of pages.
It runs on tap water and has a built in anti calc filter.
Periodically the iron will tell you when it needs de-scaling and you just follow the instructions.
Also it puts itself into a standby mode after 3 minutes of zero use but comes back to life as soon as you pick it up again.
Also there is a vertical function for curtains etc that again is useful.
Overall I think this is a quality iron, easy to use, cool looks and maintenance free.
Only time will tell with regards to reliability and thanks to the weight you can even workout at the same time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't iron, 19 Jun 2014
This iron is extremely heavy which is a minor issues compared to the rest of this review. It doesn't iron anything well except normal cotton and even that is a poor iron quality compared to my last iron. If you change from one item/fabric to another it either leaks water everywhere and you end up with a wet garment or it doesn't make any impression on the creases. It takes ages to heat up before being ready to use. It takes about four times longer to iron anything. You have to keep constantly pressing the steam button to get any steam. As the iron is so heavy you have to hang onto the handle to put it in a upright position on the ironing board and this switches it into eco mode and on that mode it really doesn't achieve anything on any material!! Avoid at all costs - this has been the longest week of my life and am eagerly awaiting a new/cheaper iron with a temperature setting you can actually control!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Useless, 1 Jun 2014
F. Obilade "Professor" (England) - See all my reviews
This iron worked fairly well for about 3 months. After this, its performance went south. We have tried everything possible to clean it but it's just packed up. I tried returning it viia amazo, but it won't. I have instead ordered a £17 iron which works 10 times better