5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and engaging
I have just finished this book and would thoroughly recommend it for both genealogists and casual interested readers.
Published 15 months ago by Mrs donut

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dull
Just a list really of ye-olde diseases. You'd be better googling specific diseases. Little social history. I weekly research my family history so I thought it would be good for me, but no. I suppose I thought it would detail social conditions, but no. It gets lots of starts on this site, so it looks like one cannot go by others.
Published 5 months ago by Helen S

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible and engaging, 23 Jun 2013
The informative introductory chapters detailing 'Investigation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Disease' and 'Finding a Cause of Death' are followed by 24 bite size chapters detailing the common causes of death our ancestors succumbed to in both recent times and centuries past.
From cholera to smallpox, accidents to mental illness and scurvy to starvation, this book is extremely accessible and engaging.
Dipping into chapters in any order makes reading about the causes of ones ancestor's death very straightforward.
With frequent references to a variety of resources throughout the book, each chapter also provides clear and helpful guidance regarding further research on the subject matter.
The book concludes with further information about specific places to visit which may have an association with the death of ancestors.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and thought-provoking, 17 Jun 2013
Mr. J. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I wanted to understand a bit more about a couple of specific events in my family. I had an ancestor who died of cholera and another who died in an asylum, and this book helped me understand what my ancestors went through and put it all into context. But the book holds your attention and I ended up reading it right through. There are lots of fascinating stories here, and it's good to come away feeling you've been entertained as well as informed. The author says somewhere that their death may be the most interesting (or only) thing you know about an ancestor and that's often proved right in my case. There's a great chapter near the beginning on how to find out about causes of death and that's encouraged me to pursue this with interesting results, as I found an ancestor who was murdered and another who died in a shipwreck. Nice to have a practical sort of book that's also good reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, couldn't put it down., 18 Aug 2013
I bought this book, purely as an impulse purchase. I'm so glad I did, what a great read not only was it very interesting but it was also very informative and well written. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to research their family history or even if you just have a passing interest in your ancestry. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting helpful book, 15 Jun 2013
I found this to be quite intriguing and most helpful. We all have ancestors who died from various diseases, and this book gives details on why they died and how they may have been treated. Nowadays, with advances in medicines and technology, many of these illnesses would not have been fatal, or they no longer exist eg smallpox. I enjoyed reading it, and it is a book one can dip into when an illness reoccurs, eg polio or whooping cough.

4.0 out of 5 stars How our ancestors, 14 Sep 2013
Good read, very informative and a good addition to my bookcase. I am sure that I will dip into it time and time

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 14 Aug 2013
I really liked the way the book was laid out. It also was full of interesting facts and surprises. Even if you are not in the field of medicine you would find this easy and very interesting to read. A real coffee time book dip in and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 12 Aug 2013
Item as described. Arrived before time. A must for family history. Or just in general to read. Gives a great insight to years gone by of how your ancestors lived & died.

5.0 out of 5 stars How our Ancestors Died, 10 Aug 2013
Has I am researching my family tree this book is excellent to use as a reference besides its very interesting and well worth buying
which I had it recommended to me plus there are also more very good History books. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly absorbing read, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: How Our Ancestors Died: A Guide for Family Historians (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly absorbing read; informative and highly interesting. Should be a great help in identifying some of the more obscure medical terms found on death certs etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Sep 2014