This totally professional security suite always scores highly on anti-virus comparative charts and having tried several of these products over the years I am happy to settle with this one. I like the fact that the Danish founders based their company in the UK. I somehow feel that I could never quite trust security products coming from the USA where the level of government interference in IT companies is so prevalent, or from Russia where it is impossible for me to gauge the level of interference from any quarter.

The software installed trouble-free and very quickly. My PC was fully protected within three or four minutes from putting the CD in the drive and typing in the registration key (which is printed on a label stuck on the CD cover). The installation process didn't ask me lots of questions about what I wanted but set up firewall, anti-virus, spamfilter, browser safety, PC vulnerability checker and PC Tuneup. When the control panel popped up I saw that I had an option for parental control but I don't need this so left it inactive.

The PC vulnerability checker was interesting - within a few minutes I got warnings about out of date Adobe Reader which is a security risk, and a link was provided in the pop-up box to enable me to download the latest version. There were also a number of Windows settings which it wanted to fix so I let it go ahead - all with the click of a single button.

When I went on the Internet with Firefox and did a Google search I was pleased to see a little green tick by every website in the search results. I know Google do their best to eliminate dodgy sites from the search results but this extra check is worth having in my view, particularly in these days of horrendous malicious software like Cryptolocker.

I was pleased to find that there is a good level of support - from the website you can chat online to a support person, and there is also a very useful support forum where you can post questions. You can also email support with a 24 hour response time for less urgent problems. Most people will never need this level of support but it's good to know it's there.

The Amazon price is quite good. It's worth pointing out that you can get a free 60 trial of this product from the Bullguard website, but when it comes to renew you may still want to purchase from Amazon because the price on the Bullguard website is much higher than on Amazon. I did note that after I'd ordered from Amazon the next time I went on the Bullguard website I was offered 50% off the price which was close to the Amazon price but Bullguard were too late to get me to buy this way and I let my Amazon order go through.

Having run Bullguard for a while now I have found it to be non-intrusive (not popping up stupid messages all the time) but also reassuringly "there". Before Bullguard I was running a well-known Russian security suite and although it is undoubtedly excellent, I knew that I would never be fully comfortable running software from Russia (or China or the USA). With Bullguard I feel that I've got a home-grown product and for me at least, this is a major plus.

Incidentally there is a one star review of this product on Amazon which seems to miss the point. Bullguard like all a-v companies are continually updating their software. I have not noticed any bugs in it at all and I'm running Windows 8.1. I always wonder about people who leave a very short one-star review and then when you go to their profile you see that that's the only review they've published.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2014
Having used another security software brand for 7 years I was recommended BullGuard by my local computer repair shop. The program was simple and straightforward to install and in about 5 - 10 minutes the product was protecting my PC. After performing a full scan using BullGuard it had detected and removed 3 trojans that my previous security software had missed. I have also noticed that my PC also runs a lot quicker with this product installed. The software itself is simple and straightforward to use. I feel safer online with BullGuard protecting my PC rather than my previous security software.
on 20 December 2013
I was a bit concerned about this as some reviewers mentioned problems with Windows 7. However, it is working fine for me. I have used Bullguard for a year and instead of paying Bullguard's annual renewal charge (£30 plus I think), I just bought this new one for £15! You just put disc in and it removes old version and sets up new one. Enter you reg number and off it goes - brilliant.
on 9 May 2014
I love Bullguard, it does exactly what it should but is not intrusive. I also think the live chat support feature is brilliant & I would recommend this above all other security suites.
on 11 April 2014
Ordered again (4th year now) on 4.5.16, delivered, installed and working great today 9.5.16. No problems at all, 1st rate from Bullguard and Amazon, as usual. Never had a bug or hiccup that could not be promptly fixed by excellent online chat. Highly recommended.
on 3 December 2013
Wonderful alround security which works in the background. A must have purchase at a fraction of the price the manufacturer charges! I was going to renew at the "bargain" price of £37.95, but buying new on Amazon cost under £20. I didn't even need to reinstall the software - I just entered the new licence key in my account and that was it.
on 8 January 2014
I had the 2013 version which was very good , this is a lot slicker and you feel confident .
on 22 December 2013
...suffers from a presentation and user-friendliness inferior to last year's. For example the home screen is too small to accomodate all the icons, and is not resizeable. This is unnecessarily irritating.
I also find it very annoying that Bullguard's annual renewal charge (although "discounted") has always been higher than Amazon's price for a brand new copy on CD. Come on Bullguard - respect your regular customers!
Having said that though, I would still renew next year - and recommend it to others.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2014
It was annual review time and I did my usual thing of shopping around for a better offer, this time I chose BullGuard.
Mistake.
My World of Tanks online game immediately slowed to a jerky crawl. Unusable. It also dragged the teenagers' laptops to a halt for services as basic as Spotify and YouTube.
So I searched BullGuard's help pages and asked tech support how to turn on gaming mode to reduce interference while playing online games. "It doesn't have gaming mode. You don't need it," they said, "BullGuard doesn't slow your system down that much."
Well it bloomin' well does. Uninstalled, returned for a refund and went back to Norton 360 which doesn't interfere with online activity to anything like the same degree.
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2014
Been using this software for many years, always reliable, does not slow the PC down, easy to install and use. Very impressed, after all these years. Highly recommended.