5.0 out of 5 stars The best - and saddest - yet
Published on 7 Nov. 2004 by A. I. Rabinowitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Reflections of Sunflowers
This was not as interesting as her previous two books, infact it was quite repetitive in places, but I needed to read it to find out what happened.
Published 10 months ago by David Eames

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best - and saddest - yet, 7 Nov. 2004
Ruth Silvestre's third book continues to describe France with warmth and love and very differently from other either over-cynical or patronising stories of how someone bought their house in the sun. This one, the last of a trilogy, finishes sadly but,if you've read the others (and you should!) then you'll see that the ending, sad but hopeful, is just what one would have expected from this lovely, real saga. I don't think anyone has been able to describe the real France as well as Ruth Silvestre: she sees it's faults as well as it's lovely,earthy values with wonderful clarity, is easy and enjoyable to read without being over-simplistic and leaves you hoping that this will not be the last book about Belair and Mike and Ruth....and the sons and grandchildren, theirs and those of all the neighbours in Lot and Garonne! Must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The nicest of all, 13 Nov. 2007
The 3 books in this trilogy are outstanding....possibly because Ruth's lovely nature shines through, she seems a very sweet woman. The lives of her family and neighbours are so sympathetically written, sometimes humourous and occasionally sad and the setting of the books is clearly portrayed.
[The nearest to these books is C'est la Folie by Michael Wright, another sweet natured person and very funny description of French living!]

5.0 out of 5 stars Reflection of Sunflowers (The Trilogy), 6 Nov. 2010
B. F. Orme "Adventurer" (France) - See all my reviews
I bought the first book in the Trilogy based mainly on the 5* reviews. As soon as I was a few pages into it, I ordered the other two.

I asked myself initially how it would be possible for a person, specifically Ruth, to write three books based on every day happenings and to hold the attention of the reader.

She did and she did it superbly.

So many of the wonderful and unexpected experiences we have enjoyed in the four years we have lived here, and are continuing to enjoy, are so similar. Nothing sentimental about these books as some critics imply, they are based on fact and are real. Just wish that there was a 4th book in the offing. For those who genuinely want to feel happy and settled in La Belle France, these books provide the 'how to'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunflowers 3, 3 Feb. 2013
Having read the previous two books and been totally captivated by the lives of the families featured and the beauty of life in Southwest France as so wonderfully described by the author, I was eager to read the third book. Needless to say, it did not disappoint. I was again transported into the lives of the author, her family and friends and life at Bel-Air and the surrounding area. Ruth Silvestre is a talented writer who, to my mind, deserves great respect for sharing some very touching moments with such gentle humour and honesty. I was very sad to have finished all three books and can't quite escape the feeling of 'homesickness' that has descended since reaching the end of her remarkable accounts.

4.0 out of 5 stars buying a house in france, 23 April 2009
A. Farrell "blasques" (valenia, spain) - See all my reviews
This belongs to a trilogy and was the third book. If you want a good travel writer she is it. Very enjoyable and her descriptions of the country and the food are amazing. I hope she writes another to follow on from this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope this is the final book, 24 Jun. 2014
I say this because it is definitely the most moving and sensitive one, not only concerning her own family but also all her neighbours who she has come to love and they are also beginning to disappear ..... no-one lives for ever. I don't want to give too much away but will say I cried at the end..

I read the 1st book when my version was published, 1992. So I was grateful that there were gentle recaps but not enough to irritate anyone who has read all three books within a closer time frame. (I haven't yet read book two). I also like the attitude "my readers are not idiots, they might not be great French spekers but can get the gist of what is being said". The balance between the French phrases and the English translations is very delicately done.

Ms Sylvestrre's love of her small village, it's people and her many visitors who also appreciate the lovely countryside, the festivals and the unity of families is beautifully and kindly portrayed. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would say it is perfect reading for those who love France and are either travelleing to or from the country. It will keep all your own experiences fresh in your mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reflections of Sunflowers, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Reflections of Sunflowers (The Sunflowers Trilogy Series Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars ... read all 3 books now and overall I was disappointed. As in the second book this, 10 Aug. 2014
I have read all 3 books now and overall I was disappointed. As in the second book this, once again, reflects on issues already related to in the other two. Again the meals are a big part of this trilogy and I felt as if the writer did not have enough material regarding the house "Bel air" and filled out the book with detailed information on almost every meal. Unnecessary I feel but that is only my opinion. An easy read for holidays but not something I would read again...

5.0 out of 5 stars A read to take you back into summer!, 15 Aug. 2014
The Sunflower trilogy takes you to South West France where you are transported to the rural life of 'ordinary' people. The observations are so accurate that anyone who has visited the area will immediately identify with them. This final volume is particularly moving as it deals with emotions of illness and ageing. I have enjoyed them all and would happily recommend them to friends;

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good book., 19 Oct. 2014
This book tells the story of a couple's joy when they return each year to France. I love the south west and really enjoyed this book. I am so sorry for Ruth and wonder if I could be as brave as she was when her husband died. she has returned each year after to France and fortunately she has many friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›